Beechwood 58 Highlands 54 (OT)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope everyone who criticized me all week for giving Beechwood so much credit now realizes that they are for real and I wasn't just basing it on them playing Holmes tough. I said it before and I'll say it again...Beechwood is tough and IMO will get the 2 seed in the 35th. They keep proving EVERYONE wrong, so hopefully a win like this will get others to start believing in them as well and realize they're legit..

I will however eat crow for saying Highlands was clearly the second best team in NKY. Tough loss for the Birds. I think this just goes to show 2-13 really is wide open in NKY.

Congrats to Beechwood on the W. Enjoy it.

I've been right there with you on the BW train. They've got a very good first 6 or 7 and the system they runs fits them very well.

Highlands did solve the issue of who their go to guy is though. Grote was it the whole way, and there wasn't any question. The whole team was lookin to him, and Willie was callin his number the entire game.

You would think I had spoken to Willie today.

I agree. After Holmes, all seems to be a crapshoot and depends on who gets hot on the right night.

I will say this though...the people criticizing Beechwood and saying they can't beat a team who plays good defense have a lot of crow to eat tonight. (myself included)

HHS D is no longer what it used to be. Not close.

You would think I had spoken to Willie today.

Yup. That was honestly my first thought.

Really early in the game Grote had a wide open look... second guessed himself tried to drive and picked up a charge. Willie yelled at him and after that he was fine. He just had to be aggressive looking for his shot. After he hit a two with his feet on the line and a three for his first two baskets all of a sudden it opened up the lanes to the baskets for him to drive. It's amazing how that works.

First off congrats to the Tigers for pulling out the home victory in front of their fans. They brought out a ton of fans and they should be commended.

Recap- Both teams probably had 30+ turnovers combined, probably 30+ fouls were called in the game. Three man officiating crew was calling it tight all night just like the 9th region likes to do. I dont know who screwed it up but Gordon clearly got the charge call in the 1st qtr and they gave it to Stephen K. That was clearly a mistake either by the referee for calling the wrong player or the scorekeeper for putting it in the book wrong. Didnt seem to be a big deal until Stephen K actually earned a foul the next trip down and had to sit 4 minutes of the 1st half. That phantom fould would later haunt him in the 4th as he picked up his supposed 4th foul and had to play tentatively.

Ugly first half for both teams. Highlands was getting outrebounded by the leaping tigers. They were getting 2nd chance points many times so credit the Tigers. Smith was posting on the block and camping in the lane IMO. I dont know why the Bird players were allowing him the entry pass. He is 6'6 and licking his chops I am sure. Grote and Kowolonek did most of the scoring in the 1st half for the Birds. Halftime score was 23 to 22 Tigers.

Birds got a little run to start 2nd half thanks to Grote. They went up as much as 5 but the turnovers started once again. Beechwood hung tough and got some easy baskets on steals in the backcourt. Buettel did a great job of reaching in and tapping the ball but avoiding contact. Birds suffered lack of defense on the post and the Tigers did a good job of passing the ball to the open man. They really could have used Tyler Grubbs and his 6'5 280lb girth in the lane to match up on Smith. Watson didnt seem mentally there tonight and Lother struggled with turnovers.

I wish Stephen Kowolonek would have gotten more touches, he rarely got the ball and was silent most of the game. Grote was the man in the 2nd half for the Birds and had to carry them. I thought Dill had a pretty good game but fouled out early in OT.

Beechwood has a bunch of athletic kids who can leap and they play hard. Highlands just seemed out of kelter tonight and when Kowolonek doesnt get touches they really lack offensive punch.

I think we saw this week how open the 9th Region is with the Birds playing awesome against the Rebels and struggling against the athletic Tigers.

Beechwood could be a really good team if Beuttel and Romes play well and Smith and Snyder play the defense like they did tonight. Buettell at times got himself into bad situations which resulted in turnovers but for the most part played pretty well. Romes at times seemed to put the head down and force drives but he is a really nice player with some serious slashing moves. He has major ups as well. Smith played tough and with swagger in the lane. Snyder is a great leaper who blocked a couple shots, flew in high for some tap in's and passed the ball well. Pohlgeers hit a big 3 early in the game but he was somewhat silent tonight. I think they can definitely win the All A.

Beechwood could be a really good team if Beuttel and Romes play well and Smith and Snyder play the defense like they did tonight. Buettell at times got himself into bad situations which resulted in turnovers but for the most part played pretty well. Romes at times seemed to put the head down and force drives but he is a really nice player with some serious slashing moves. He has major ups as well. Smith played tough and with swagger in the lane. Snyder is a great leaper who blocked a couple shots, flew in high for some tap in's and passed the ball well. Pohlgeers hit a big 3 early in the game but he was somewhat silent tonight. I think they can definitely win the All A.

I agree the key is having all four of those guys filling their roles at the same time.

Wow, it seems like no NKY team wants to step up and claim that #2 spot. I think that means either Scott or Boone County will be #2 now.

Seems like the BCS 2 years ago when being ranked #2 in the country was a death notice for that team. Great game Tigers!

Scott won't be IMO. Boone beat them and has a better record and more quality wins. I think it will be Boone #2, then Highlands #3 and Scott #4 probably in the next NKY poll.

I agree. Heading into the All A coming off this huge win vs Highlands they have a lot of momentum and right now can compete with anybody IMO.