Beechwood 58 Highlands 54 (OT)

You cannot just play basketball during basketball season. That is the difference in this years team and teams of the past at Beechwood.

You get better during the off season not just by playing 2 and a half months a year. That is what I mean by a pass. It takes a special athlete to excell at more than one sport. I'm not picking on JD but since he is the only footballer on the Tigers team he is the only example I have. I'm sure you have seen him play this year and there is no way you can watch him and say he is ready to contribute full time. It just isn't there yet.

Now if Brady Slusher had decided to play being the type of athlete he is, I think his contribution would have made more of an impact.

If the footballers are willing to work with the basketballers during the off season for the success of the team than that is GREAT. The past has not shown that to be a fact. NO PASS. Keep it going Tigers!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be willing to put Joe Daniels athleticism up against Brady Slushers' any day of the week. However, Brady would've offered a bigger body and more bulk, but in no way can you compare Slushers speed to Daniels. And to those of you who didn't know, both Daniels and Slusher played freshman year but decided to quit and focus on football. I'd say it worked out for them. The biggest potential contributor to the basketball team would've been Alex downton but he decided not to come out for the team.

Maybe athleticism, but the ability to switch sports has to go to Slusher. Daniels is definitely struggling with the switch and it is my opinion that Slusher would have adjusted better. It is different types of athleticism. You are right about Downton though, he would have physically been able to make the switch and could have helped.

You still have to put in the work though.

IMO Slusher would've struggled in the same areas Daniels is struggling in. Dribbling, shooting, and learning the offense inside and out. I believe he would've excelled in rebounding, defense, and other similar characteristics of the game.I believe Downton to be the best athlete of any of them, but still would say Slusher would be struggling but could make up for it with his size and strength. Daniels and Downton were clearly the best two on the freshman squad but both quit due to football. This argument is pointless, those three chose to pursue football and did great in it, I'm sure they are happy with their two state rings. We simply can not hold an argument about athleticism because my opinion will not change yours. They are all great athletes, each in different ways.

You cannot just play basketball during basketball season. That is the difference in this years team and teams of the past at Beechwood.

You get better during the off season not just by playing 2 and a half months a year. That is what I mean by a pass. It takes a special athlete to excell at more than one sport. I'm not picking on JD but since he is the only footballer on the Tigers team he is the only example I have. I'm sure you have seen him play this year and there is no way you can watch him and say he is ready to contribute full time. It just isn't there yet.

Now if Brady Slusher had decided to play being the type of athlete he is, I think his contribution would have made more of an impact.

If the footballers are willing to work with the basketballers during the off season for the success of the team than that is GREAT. The past has not shown that to be a fact. NO PASS. Keep it going Tigers!

It isn't just Daniels. AJ Smith is playing for the first time since freshman year also. I am sure AJ worked out with the team and was there all fall during training and pre-season because his other sport is baseball versus football. I do agree that Daniels is still shaking off the rust but he is definitely a big help and playing key minutes backing up Snyder and Smith. No doubt these guys would be better basketball players if they had played basketball throughout high school. The main thing is they are playing and are a big part of making this Beechwood team special. And that is my point all along. In a small school like Beechwood where kids are almost over scheduled, you take what you can get to make each team better and if that means a "football" guy is only there during basketball season you take what you can get. And if he is better than the guy who has been there through all the basketball you still have to play the best player, "football" guy or "baseball" guy or whatever.

I agree Beechwood is tough. They beat Cov Cath, Highlands, Conner, Dixie etc. to a 12 and 3 record. The 4 senior starters are as good as anyone in NKY. (Maybe not Holmes?) However Beechwood is only going 6 deep, (1 off the bench) and this has proved to be the main factor in 2 of their 3 losses.

However there are many tough teams in NKY and believe the teams with the deepest benches will move on. With fouls and injuries the teams that develope 8 or 9 deep will be the ones moving on.