Top ranked teams from No Ky

I need a history lesson here. With Holmes atop the state polls, and alot of talk about them being the best team ever from Northern Kentucky (still have to fulfill the destiny, of course), I am trying to remember: how many teams from Northern Kentucky have ever been ranked No. 1 in the state? Off the top of my head, I've got NCC in 1984 - who am I forgetting?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe Holy Cross was ranked No. 1 for a short period of the 94-95 year after they defeated Ballard (who was No. 1 at the time) in the Ashland Invitational.

Refresh my memory about HC - was that a McClendon or Harney team? How deep did they go in March?

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe Holy Cross was ranked No. 1 for a short period of the 94-95 year after they defeated Ballard (who was No. 1 at the time) in the Ashland Invitational.

From what I remember, that Holy Cross team made only as high as #3 or#4.

In response to Henry. Yes, Holy Cross had a phenominal team with Clark, Harney, and so on. And yes, they did lose in districts. They were to host districts that year, and Principal Bill Goller chose to have districts at Thomas More instead of at Holy Cross in an attempt to make more money, in turn giving up homecourt advantage.

Holmes in '96 had to be ranked top 4 but not number 1. I know they didn't lose to a 9th region team all season until the Regionals. I think they had 3 losses on the season. Sullivan, Rice, Conrad, Humphrey, Slusher and Evans made a great team.

In response to Henry. Yes, Holy Cross had a phenominal team with Clark, Harney, and so on. And yes, they did lose in districts. They were to host districts that year, and Principal Bill Goller chose to have districts at Thomas More instead of at Holy Cross in an attempt to make more money, in turn giving up homecourt advantage.

Harlan (Charles Thomas-Minn.), LexCath (Vondale Morton-Marshall), University Heights (Lamont Barnes-Temple) and HC (Joe Harney-WKU) were the top 4 in state and at the time was the final 4 at the All A classic with University Heights winning.

Holmes in '96 had to be ranked top 4 but not number 1. I know they didn't lose to a 9th region team all season until the Regionals. I think they had 3 losses on the season. Sullivan, Rice, Conrad, Humphrey, Slusher and Evans made a great team.

Those was some great teams in the mid 90's. For some reason they could never get out of the region. [imo] They should at least won two. Rice and Humphrey was hard to guard if they where feeling it from the outside.

This years Holmes team is loaded with the starting 5. They are one of the best teams I've seen in the 9th region in my life. What's scary is most of the players are underclassmen and I think they will be even better next year. Before this Holmes team I always felt like the bulldogs from the early 90's was the best team that I have witnessed in NKY, as I'm only 27. So I don't know much about the SK team that won state, or the Holmes team that lost on the goal tend. But comparing this team to the early 90's team the top 7 on this year team is hands down better, but those teams in the early 90's was very deep and fast paced. This year Holmes team plays better defense so I would pick them as the best Ive seen. If Arnold comes on strong the second half of the season like he should, I don't think it will be close.

Edited by tezzyrice

This years Holmes team is loaded with the starting 5. They are one of the best teams I've seen in the 9th region in my life. What's scary is most of the players are underclassmen and I think they will be even better next year. Before this Holmes team I always felt like the bulldogs from the early 90's was the best team that I have witnessed in NKY, as I'm only 27. So I don't know much about the SK team that won state, or the H

I think the Sk team was very underated from what I remember. They were good but I dont think they were even a favorite to win the region, I beleive It was Highlands when they had Draud but im not positive. Sk just turned it on once they got to the tournament. Also I think back in 05 CovCath was favored to win the state tournament but lost in the first round to Apollo.

I think the Sk team was very underated from what I remember. They were good but I dont think they were even a favorite to win the region, I beleive It was Highlands when they had Draud but im not positive. Sk just turned it on once they got to the tournament. Also I think back in 05 CovCath was favored to win the state tournament but lost in the first round to Apollo.

Not to take nothing away from Cov. Cath., I feel like Holmes let one get away in 05. Two complete blow ups sent that team home. Imo they had the best team. When I think of that team I just go:idunno::idunno:

You're thinking of the 05-06 CovCath team, but I don't think they were one of the favorites at the Sweet 16 that year. And Apollo ended up going to the finals after upsetting CovCath by 4 in the first round.

Wasn't Holmes one of the top teams in state back in 78. They made it to the state finals, but lost on the questionable call to Shelby County at the end. I remember HC was winning by 13 points in the first round of districts going into the 4th quarter, but let it get away. A team barely makes it out of their district and goes on to the state finals and IMO should have won with that call. That has to say something about the 35th district! :eek: