2009 Manual

Ram

Manual's schedule for 2009 is quite ambitious. They lot some offensive talent with Harness, a three year QB, and Hawk their best RB. What underclassmen can take their place to compete with this schedule? Their two losses to St. X. were by a combined score of 110-0. They will definitely be tested severly. They will need to make a huge step up to compete throughout the season. Good luck for taking the risk to get better!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manual's schedule for 2009 is quite ambitious. They lot some offensive talent with Harness, a three year QB, and Hawk their best RB. What underclassmen can take their place to compete with this schedule? Their two losses to St. X. were by a combined score of 110-0. They will definitely be tested severly. They will need to make a huge step up to compete throughout the season. Good luck for taking the risk to get better!
I don't have the numbers on me but a large number of juniors and particularly sophomores contributed a great deal last season. Where they were young last year in linebacker, secondary, offensive line and TE, they will be experianced next year. What I like about that is that it gives a good situation for new skill players to succeed when the role playing positions are stout. The QB position will probably be filled by Derek Woodmore the leading WR last season, this will add the danger of the running elemnt from the QB spot. I'm not terribly concerned about RB, I'm confidant someone will step up to that role. I do hope we can find some WR's though.

I agree to a certain extent. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Too many games against really great competition can physically and mentally break you down. I, like you, wish them good luck except for one game (just a different game).

Tough schedules seem to work for Central. The injury risk is present regardless of who you play.

I agree to a certain extent. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Too many games against really great competition can physically and mentally break you down. I, like you, wish them good luck except for one game (just a different game).

This is a good post, and I don't disagree that this can be so, but you can also have a situation where you play alot of average teams and winning a lot and then you run into the real deal and get killed. This schedule is good for a team in Manuals district because as long as you get one win in district then you are going to the playoffs, and after maybe one easy game you are going to have to face a row of very tough teams.

Manual will be better off I believe playing a tough schedule and learning from them rather than collecting wins in the city. There are some really good teams in all classes and playing good teams will make or break a team.:thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Been over a week since the last post, wanted to get this out there for everyone to hear.

WeAreColerain.com staff visit the Old Goats!!

Some of the staff of the only fan-run Colerain Cardinal website (WeAreColerain.com traveled to Louisville this past weekend and spent an hour with an "Old Goat" on the weekly Manual Sports show hosted by the Old Goats.

It's an hour long, but if you want to learn a great deal about Colerain football (history, style of play, attitude, etc.) it's a great listen. The link is a podcast.

Looking forward to the Crimsons visit in September.

-CardinalsFan

Been over a week since the last post, wanted to get this out there for everyone to hear.

WeAreColerain.com staff visit the Old Goats!!

Some of the staff of the only fan-run Colerain Cardinal website (WeAreColerain.com traveled to Louisville this past weekend and spent an hour with an "Old Goat" on the weekly Manual Sports show hosted by the Old Goats.

It's an hour long, but if you want to learn a great deal about Colerain football (history, style of play, attitude, etc.) it's a great listen. The link is a podcast.

Looking forward to the Crimsons visit in September.

-CardinalsFan

Thanks for the link. Last season the Old Goats covered one of the scrimmages that I wasn't able to get to so it was really nice to listen in and get an idea of what I missed, they do a nice job.

• 3 months later...

Wanted to bring this back to the top with a question for the Ram faithful.

In the past 48 hours, Colerain has agreed to play Cincinnati Elder on SUNDAY September 6 (Week 2) at Noon. Given that we are then slated to face you guys only 5 days later, I am wondering what is the likelihood of possibly moving the game from Friday Sept. 11 to Sat. Sept. 12?

Is that something Manual would consider doing and would that be easier/harder/indifferent on the fan base?

Thanks,

-CardinalsFan

• 1 month later...
I would personally be indifferent. UofL doesn't play that weekend so that makes it a little more feasable to many fans.

As of today, the game is not being moved. Colerain reached out and Manual declined. Negotiations continue.

Now, why would Manual be against this move? Any ideas??

-CardinalsFan

While it is a bit of a gamble I think it is the right gamble for Manual to take. There is no denying that Manual has advantages over other schools in the state. They school compose of no reside area (other than all of Jefferson Co) completely based on a set of Magnet programs, with a student population that is very success driven. Unlike probably every other school in the area Manual can match, and in many cases exceed, academic success with X and T. Manual is arguably the best suited school to make a challenge to X and T.

As it is right now I think the state of local (Louisville) football is in a very particular crossroads. X and T are skyrocketing and the most successful public program to challenge them, Male, is taking a turn in the wrong direction. I don't want to sound like I've already nailed the casket shut on Male, I do think Manual needs to take Male's place. If Manual (or any other public school) cannot challenge X or T I think we will see separation in the next ten years, and I don't see that being good at all.

Manual needs to take steps like these to grow the program to BIG level (we don't want to lose any more Bernard Jackson's or Jordan Whitings out of our weight rooms). I believe they need to do it NOW, or it will be to late and there will be no catching X or T. So as we said before it is a gamble and they could quite possibly go 5-5 or worse (I predict 7-3), but I think it is a gamble they have to take.

Its a good thing you are not nailing the casket shut on Male, because when it comes to High School football there are always alot of up and down cycles. In the last couple of years yes Male has lost to the Crimson's but that does not mean they are taking a turn in the wrong direction. This year Male has all of their O-line back as well as an abundance of returning starters at key positions, including a QB who took them to the 6A State semi-final last year. The dawgs will be back and Manual is not ready to take their place. As far as the up and down cycles look what Manual loses from last year, quite a bit i think. As far as academics Lou. Male is right there with Manual.

Edited by bugatti

Bigdawg I see little comparison to Male of the last few years to Male of the mid 90's and early 2000's. The talent of those years was significantly superior than what Male has had the last few. Hard not to view that as Male turning in the wrong direction.

Not gonna get into a debate, I believe the Dawgs will do their talking on the field this year and maybe head in the right direction (laughing) good luck this year Rowdy, it should be fun.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Its a good thing you are not nailing the casket shut on Male, because when it comes to High School football there are always alot of up and down cycles. In the last couple of years yes Male has lost to the Crimson's but that does not mean they are taking a turn in the wrong direction. This year Male has all of their O-line back as well as an abundance of returning starters at key positions, including a QB who took them to the 6A State semi-final last year. The dawgs will be back and Manual is not ready to take their place. As far as the up and down cycles look what Manual loses from last year, quite a bit i think. As far as academics Lou. Male is right there with Manual.

Male looks small this season at the specialty positions. With that being said, Bobby Redman usually turns in his best coaching performances with small quick teams. Beware of High School in 2009.

Its a good thing you are not nailing the casket shut on Male, because when it comes to High School football there are always alot of up and down cycles.
Bobby's been "down" before at Male. After winning the state title in 1993 and losing the only game of the 94 season to X in the playoffs (11-1), Male had consecutive 7-5 seasons, and that was with a RB named Tony Driver carrying the load. Male came back 2 seasons later and won another state title. Then came the Bush era (99-02) when Male went to three straight 4-A title games, winning in 2000. After the 2002 season, 9-4 and 9-3. Then the 2006 team that lost it's only game to Trinity in the 2nd round of the playoffs, getting stopped on the goal line as time ran out.

Now we get back to last season's "unMale" like 9-5. Yeah, they made the "Final 4", and their 2 best players, Justin Green & Stewart Brown were >100% for part of the season. Possibly the best game they played last season was the win at Fern Creek where most the "experts" said this was the year Fern Creek would beat Male and win the district, which didn't happen. Of course it didn't hurt matters that Trinity and St. X were in the other half of the state bracket. It was set up for this "unMale" like team to make it to the state finals. Then they dropped the semi-state game - at home - to Simon Kenton.

The one constant is that Bobby has always had the triggerman to run his offense, whether it be his son, Logan, Ahrens, Blackaby or Bush (the 2006 QB's name escapes me) he always had that QB to light up the scoreboard. He hasn't really had it the past two seasons. Does this kid playing QB (Britt?) now have it? Only time will tell.

Whether the rumors of Male making it harder to get kids in school is true, as long as Bob Redman is at Male, they will be someone to be dealt with. They might not be contenders every year, but you can bet he will put a well-coached team on the field.

Corey Gainey was the QB in 06 who was stopped on 3rd down inches away by a great paly by the DB for the Rocks. Also a play before Male had scored but a Flag was called because the wideout was not set this was on the other side of the field. Great game and I had the game on tape and threw it away.

Up 12 with 6 minutes to play Male got outcoached and the Rocks moved on...maybe some day I will...(Sons team)