Utah 31 Alabama 17

swamprat

Look no farther than UC/VPI. BK set the goal for UC the day he took the job. Win the Big East. Mission accomplished, and flat performances against Hawaii and Tech. The Hokies had a different set of goals and that included erasing the loss from last year.

Bama had their sights set on the title and Utah had it on tonight. When dealing with 18-23 year old young men, it's the nature of the beast...

:thumb:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply can't believe that Andre Smith's presence would have made THAT much of a difference to the 'Bama pass protection schemes. Smith would have been blocking Krueger, and the guy who had the big night was Sylvester. Also, Coffee and Ingram could not pick up linebacker stunts at all and Wilson has primarily them to blame for the grass stains on his rump this morning.

'Bama got schooled. Utah's receivers and that tight end ran circles around them. Utah did not even need to run the ball. The Utes were faster and more physical. Perhaps it had to do with lack of energy, but there is no way on God's Green Earth that 'Bama beats them 9 times out of 10 as someone has said.

:thumb:

I do not think Alabama was overrated, they are no doubt a very good football team. I think Utah may be much better than everyone thought. Not many teams can win the line of scrimmage battle with Bama like they did tonight. Alabama gave up 11 sacks in 9 regular season SEC games and 1 SEC Championship game (11 total in 10 games). They gave up 8 tonight against Utah. Also, as GT pointed out a while back, I am sure psychologically Bama had a lot of wind taken out of their sails by losing the SEC Championship game and knowing they were out of the national title hunt. By no means am I saying Bama tanked it the last few weeks, but I am sure they were not near as motivated these last 4 weeks compared to if they were heading to Miami. This game meant a ton more to Utah and it showed.

This was the point I was trying to make, you just made it better.

I was watching this game at a bar and couldn't hear. What was the explanation given for the flag on Utah when they had a 4th and 1 and had their line shift that drew Bama offsides?

False start. The annoucers said it was probably because the movement was very sudden.

Funny how a play can change a game. I'm watching the game again right now and Utah fumbled the 1st punt but got a break when it bounced right into the hands of their own player. Had it not been a great bounce Bama would have had the ball inside the 20 to start the game. Momentum...points etc. One play changes a game so much!

Bama got destroyed up front and had no answer for the no huddle.

I simply can't believe that Andre Smith's presence would have made THAT much of a difference to the 'Bama pass protection schemes. Smith would have been blocking Krueger, and the guy who had the big night was Sylvester. Also, Coffee and Ingram could not pick up linebacker stunts at all and Wilson has primarily them to blame for the grass stains on his rump this morning.

'Bama got schooled. Utah's receivers and that tight end ran circles around them. Utah did not even need to run the ball. The Utes were faster and more physical. Perhaps it had to do with lack of energy, but there is no way on God's Green Earth that 'Bama beats them 9 times out of 10 as someone has said.

Smith's absence was huge, especially when you consider that his backup had to leave the game early in the first quarter due to injury. The announcers said that Alabama had either 3 or 4 lineman playing out of position due to this, but give Utah their credit as they took advantage of the situation and made it extremely tough on Wilson all night. Utah also scored 31 points on what was considered to be a very good Alabama defense.

I was impressed with Utah and would have given Alabama all they wanted even if Smith would have played. I would like to see them play either Oklahoma, Texas, USC or Florida to see how they would fare against what I consider to be the top 4 teams in the country.

:confused:Where did the Big 10 figure into this game, did either one of these teams move to that conference before this game? I thought this was a Bama/Utah thread. I am overall an SEC fan, just Ohio State from the Big10 is my favorite team and I fully realize that the Big 10 wasn't strong this season and previous seasons are just that. I did not mention the Big10 at all in this thread so there was no argument started here :sleep:.

So, imo another dead horse award goes the the Big10 bashers. :D

It seems as if the Big 10 is brought into every football thread, even the ones about an SEC team who was ranked #1 for a large part of the season, had a shot at the SEC and National championships, but lost to a Utah team who was good, but many, many people said would get drilled by that dominant SEC school, and didn't deserve to play in a BCS game. Hmm, funny isn't it?

Look no farther than UC/VPI. BK set the goal for UC the day he took the job. Win the Big East. Mission accomplished, and flat performances against Hawaii and Tech. The Hokies had a different set of goals and that included erasing the loss from last year.

Bama had their sights set on the title and Utah had it on tonight. When dealing with 18-23 year old young men, it's the nature of the beast...

Agreed. I have seen it happen many times. It is very easy to drop your head, once you are playing for the consolation prize.