Perfect Performances

KyTiger89

I'll agree that Denzel Washington did an amazing job in that movie but IMO he should not of beat Russel Crowe for best actor that year.

Keanu Reeves in The Matrix. I never really thought about this until I heard Will Smith turned down the role of Neo to play in that Wild West movie. Thank God. I do not think Will could of pulled it off as good as Reeves.

I completely disagree. It's only been ten years and A Beautiful Mind is an afterthought, as well as Crowe's performance. Denzel went completely against character for Training Day and delivered one of the most memorable performances of the last ten years.

"King Kong ain't got..."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely disagree. It's only been ten years and A Beautiful Mind is an afterthought, as well as Crowe's performance. Denzel went completely against character for Training Day and delivered one of the most memorable performances of the last ten years.

"King Kong ain't got..."

It was Crowe's third consecutive nomination. The odds were against him. He also beat out Sean Penn. You can't support your argument by saying a beautiful mind is an after thought. It won best picture, best screen play, best director, best supporting actor. Very few films have done so. IMO and a lot of others, Russel Crowe got screwed.

I think most people are wrong about this and are being too lenient. This isn't actors who had great performances and therefor no one else could have done it. This is actors who transformed into their roles and basically the movie couldn't have been done without them.

Whoever said Rourke in The Wrestler and Ledger as the joker were really good example.

Some others would be...

Daniel-Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood

Bardem in No Country For Old Men

Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove playing 3 of the main characters.

Hoffman in Rain Man

There are some others too but those are just off the top of my head. And I'm not saying that any of the others are bad performances because most of them are great.

Also someone said Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs that is a good one

I think most people are wrong about this and are being too lenient. This isn't actors who had great performances and therefor no one else could have done it. This is actors who transformed into their roles and basically the movie couldn't have been done without them.

Whoever said Rourke in The Wrestler and Ledger as the joker were really good example.

Some others would be...

Daniel-Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood

Bardem in No Country For Old Men

Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove playing 3 of the main characters.

Hoffman in Rain Man

There are some others too but those are just off the top of my head. And I'm not saying that any of the others are bad performances because most of them are great.

Also someone said Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs that is a good one

So you are saying Eddie Murphy in the Nutty Professor is a good example also?

I always like to read about actors who rejected roles that turned out to be huge mistakes. Or who also got rejected for a part and it was a great decision. I know some but can't remember. I disagree about Doc Holiday...Kirk Douglas.

Moses by Charleton Heston

Roger Rabbit as Roger Rabbit...seriously, who else could have nailed that part?

Good call. In that same vein we could could go with Brett Favre in Something About Mary or Jackie Robinson in the Jackie Robinson Story. Both actors left a lot to be desired.

Looking to the future.... Any memoir of Gary Busey or Nick Nolte to be played by the other. I am still not convinced they are not the same person.