Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kenton County's open district policy

Featured Replies

Over the years, many people have said Kenton County's open district policy isn't fair as the Scott and Simon Kenton football programs suffer. What are the thoughts now that SK is playing for a state title?

  • Replies 56
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't think open enrollment hurts Kenton County schools for football. The field condition's were the worst for Dixie before they got turf. I hear SK field is really nice now.

  • Author
I personally don't think open enrollment hurts Kenton County schools for football. The field condition's were the worst for Dixie before they got turf. I hear SK field is really nice now.

 

There were many arguments in the past that Dixie benefitted from open enrollment as the better football players were attending Dixie instead of Scott or SK. This has nothing to do with field conditions. I'm just curious to see what people's thoughts are now.

IMO you are seeing Simon Kenton reap the fruits of Dixie being unable to capitalize on some of the talent that has been through there in recent years. Maybe the good football players are giving another school with a new turf field a shot. I know someone who's son plays for Summit View middle school and they told me that a majority of the parents they talked to with the kids interested in playing football were planning on heading to play for Marksberry. This conversation took place back early in the middle school football season before this run to state by the Pioneers. Or it could be just an extrordinary talented class of kids at SK this year, who knows.

Scott is the only school in NKY that hurts with this in football. Because of Scotts past in football they DO NOT get kids to come and play football. This has hurt them so bad look at Gregg Preston Joey Bricking Stephen Benson Josh Bleser (CCH i guess that woulnt count) but these three players were great at Dixie and they should have all gone to Scott. So you cant tell me that the open enrollment hasn't hurt Scott.

If this season becomes the building block for SK in years to come, we may have the makings of a big school power in NKY with an open enrollment policy. Something I honestly would love to see!

Scott is the only school in NKY that hurts with this in football. Because of Scotts past in football they DO NOT get kids to come and play football. This has hurt them so bad look at Gregg Preston Joey Bricking Stephen Benson Josh Bleser (CCH i guess that woulnt count) but these three players were great at Dixie and they should have all gone to Scott. So you cant tell me that the open enrollment hasn't hurt Scott.

 

This is true and I am not sure how Scott can change things. Dixie is not going to suffer. They have a very young team this year with a lot of talent coming. Their freshman team was very good. I think they beat Highlands.

 

The rise of Simon Kenton can be attributed to one big factor - the value of a feeder system and youth football. Several years back the South Kenton youth football organization was formed and you are now seeing kids coming through that feeder to Simon Kenton. Kids out there didn't even think about football 7 or 8 years ago. It was all basketball. Now they start thinking and playing football at a young age and their South Kenton teams are very competitive in the N. Ky. Youth Football league. I think Simon Kenton is going to continue to be a strong program and perhaps get even better.

 

Dixie gets a lot of players out of the NKYFL Spartans and Raiders. Maybe Scott needs to follow Simon Kenton's model and get an NKYFL team that matches up well to their district. Either that or a middle school team that will be some loyalty to Scott.

Over the years, many people have said Kenton County's open district policy isn't fair as the Scott and Simon Kenton football programs suffer. What are the thoughts now that SK is playing for a state title?

 

That Dixie's coaching staff has been holding the team back for years.

That Dixie's coaching staff has been holding the team back for years.

 

We'll find out next season. If Spritzky doesn't win with the talent he has next year, Dixie boosters will be looking for a new coach.

We'll find out next season. If Spritzky doesn't win with the talent he has next year, Dixie boosters will be looking for a new coach.

 

I thought this year's lethargic season might do it.

I'd just for once would like to see Scott has some success that SK and Dixie has had in NKY in terms of winning seasons, advancing in the playoffs among some other things but I really don't see it happening soon. I always remain optimistic but with the emergence of SK now it seems that even MORE kids might get pulled away from Scott because Dixie's and SK's successes and tradition for winning. I'd really like to see a Scott team going 6-5 or maybe 7-4 with a maybe a playoff win of some kind but there isn't much we can do.

 

Sure I believe has Scott has a GREAT coach in place that will allow them to get better but there is so much you can do with the players you possess. Scott is getting the extreme leftovers (for the most part) because of the open enrollment policy.

 

And as for starting a feeder system its hard to because in general the team that contains many players that are within Scott's district are the Raiders but unfortunately they are not able to keep them there as many of them choose to go to either CCH or Dixie for the most part. Like I said before, I'd really like to see Scott have a great year just one year where it may show other kids that Scott has something and has the potential to grow into a contender and not the doormat they've been considered to be.

I would like to see the boosters and the Dixie Admin. take a long, hard look at the football coaching staff. This year's EXTREMELY slow start, number of players who quit, and the lack of being able to "finish" should be something to open their eyes to coaching staff problems. Last year they had all the talent and weren't able to progress as far as the playoffs were concerned...this year was worse.

 

If they aren't careful Dixie is going to lose all this upcoming talent to SK cause boys who are used to winning and have the talent won't take lightly to losing all the time. Don't think those parents would be too complacent either.

I'd just for once would like to see Scott has some success that SK and Dixie has had in NKY in terms of winning seasons, advancing in the playoffs among some other things but I really don't see it happening soon. I always remain optimistic but with the emergence of SK now it seems that even MORE kids might get pulled away from Scott because Dixie's and SK's successes and tradition for winning. I'd really like to see a Scott team going 6-5 or maybe 7-4 with a maybe a playoff win of some kind but there isn't much we can do.

 

Sure I believe has Scott has a GREAT coach in place that will allow them to get better but there is so much you can do with the players you possess. Scott is getting the extreme leftovers (for the most part) because of the open enrollment policy.

 

And as for starting a feeder system its hard to because in general the team that contains many players that are within Scott's district are the Raiders but unfortunately they are not able to keep them there as many of them choose to go to either CCH or Dixie for the most part. Like I said before, I'd really like to see Scott have a great year just one year where it may show other kids that Scott has something and has the potential to grow into a contender and not the doormat they've been considered to be.

 

It doesn't just happen. Someone at Scott has to make it happen. Taylor Mill has grown a lot over the past 10-15 years. Start your own NKYFL organization and watch what happens in about 4 years. People thought South Kenton was crazy starting their organization and look at them now. If not that, then get into the middle school football league that has taken off the past few years. That is the only way it is going to happen at Scott.

I would like to see the boosters and the Dixie Admin. take a long, hard look at the football coaching staff. This year's EXTREMELY slow start, number of players who quit, and the lack of being able to "finish" should be something to open their eyes to coaching staff problems. Last year they had all the talent and weren't able to progress as far as the playoffs were concerned...this year was worse.

 

If they aren't careful Dixie is going to lose all this upcoming talent to SK cause boys who are used to winning and have the talent won't take lightly to losing all the time. Don't think those parents would be too complacent either.

 

Spritzky is on the bubble next year big time. There are too many football supporters at Dixie disgruntled like you for him to survive after next year unless he has a very good season.

 

As to Dixie losing players to SK, I don't see that happening for another couple of years at the earliest - and that is only if SK continues to have success and Dixie doesn't. However, Dixie isn't going to pick up any SK players right now. I don't know if they gained SK players in the past but if they did that is over.

Spritzky is on the bubble next year big time. There are too many football supporters at Dixie disgruntled like you for him to survive after next year unless he has a very good season.

 

As to Dixie losing players to SK, I don't see that happening for another couple of years at the earliest - and that is only if SK continues to have success and Dixie doesn't. However, Dixie isn't going to pick up any SK players right now. I don't know if they gained SK players in the past but if they did that is over.

 

SK could be back down in just a few years. I'm not too sure what they have coming up in the middle school but don't be surprised to see SK struggle in about 3 years.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.