Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

He is THE GURU!!!

Featured Replies

  • Replies 59
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From nky.com:

 

The founder and man behind the curtain of chat Web site Bluegrass preps.com recently answered some questions from Enquirer reporter Ryan Ernst.

 

Q: When did you start the site?

 

Answer: It was 2000.

 

Q: What brought it about?

 

A: In the late '90s my wife went back to work on her masters, so we got a computer. She used it to work on furthering her education and I used it to research high school football. There wasn't anything out there. I thought it would be great to have one place where everyone could come. I thought, what do I have to lose? And here we are.

 

Q: Were you a computer guy?

 

A: I knew very little about computers, so I'm self-taught in a lot of areas. ... A large part of the site is a software package. I've taken that package and tweaked it a little bit.

 

Q: How many members do you have?

 

A: We're right around 4,000.

 

Q: How many visitors?

 

A: On good days, we average about 10,000 visitors a day. ... On Friday nights, football is the busiest time of the year. But basketball is played, so many nights of the year, and you have boys' and girls' basketball, so basketball season is a steadier busy.

 

Q: What's the most fulfilling thing about running the site?

 

A: I like all the information I gather and all the friends I make. A lot of these people, I've never met them, but I feel like I know them well. It's a bunch of people coming together for a common interest. There are always a group of people there with a common interest. The site allows me to be part of something I love - high school sports.

 

 

Q: What's the biggest headache?

 

A: That's simple, the complaints. They're numerous and about anything and everything. ... But people only complain because something's important to them. And that's not a bad thing.

 

Q: How often do you have to ban people from the site for breaking your rules?

 

A: It's not uncommon for us to ban anywhere from one to five people a day. A lot of those people will end up coming back. We've suspended about 2,000 members. At first, when people violate a rule, we try to warn them. And most people meant no harm and apologize. And then some people will get kind of gruff with you. And if they continue to violate, we'll suspend their account. We try our darndest to educate people about the rules and achieve compliance. But when people are in the safety of their own home, on the keyboard, they're going to do what they want.

 

I left out a few questions, so here's the rest of the story:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081123/SPT030201/811230411/1064/SPT0101

 

All in all, a good read and informs a lot of us how BGP came about and how it's grown since it's original start up date. Keep it up G!

Keep it up, guru!

 

Also, some guy commented on the article, but some "Old Guy" came to our defense! :lol:

Excellent publicity. Oh, my wife tipped off her friend's husband last night about BGP. In her complaint about me being on it so much he became rather intrigued. Im sure he will join soon.

 

Any thoughts of a referral commission in the future Guru? LOL

The site has really grown in the 7 years I've been on.

Great article! BGP is by far the best site of this type that I have looked at or been a member of. I have either not joined at all or left any other site, no one compares! BGP is not just a message board/prep sports site, BGP is a Family."Why try the rest when you are a member of the Best" :ylsuper:.

 

Thanks again for a great site Guru! Also, thatk you to all of the mods and admins. that work so hard on this site.:thumb:

Nice article, but I was expecting a shout out. :irked:

 

:D Just kidding.

The site has really grown in the 7 years I've been on.

BIG time. It has been great to be a part of. I never thought 7 years ago I'd have moderated for a few years and still been around. "G" has done an excellent job!

I have enjoyed the threads we have every now and again about how people found the site and so forth.

 

It was a great read and for some of us, you don't REALLY feel like you are part of the family til you are suspended at least once. :lol:

So if I get pulled over in Florence and tell him that I have a BGP account do I get out free? :p

So if I get pulled over in Florence and tell him that I have a BGP account do I get out free? :p

 

I was thinking the same thing. I was even planning on dropping some names of other Florence and Boone County police I know.

So if I get pulled over in Florence and tell him that I have a BGP account do I get out free? :p

 

I know you are probably joking but I wouldn't do that. From previous post from the guru, I don't think he wants anyone dropping BGP to any Florence officer.

I know you are probably joking but I wouldn't do that. From previous post from the guru, I don't think he wants anyone dropping BGP to any Florence officer.

 

I think, and I may be wrong, that he was referring to getting stopped by the Guru. I'm not even sure what Guru does for the force though.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.