Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Naples, FL 91 Estero, FL 0

Featured Replies

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know hard to believe, but I guess it is possible for the other team to be that bad. I mean you can't take a knee every down then punt nor can you have your back bust through the line backers and just fall down onhis own can you? Geez once you think about it even with the second option you'd still score.

Does Fla have a running clock or any other "mercy" rule in place?

  • Author
Does Fla have a running clock or any other "mercy" rule in place?

 

I'm not sure. I did notice that they only ran 31 offensive plays. That is unbelievable.

You know hard to believe, but I guess it is possible for the other team to be that bad. I mean you can't take a knee every down then punt nor can you have your back bust through the line backers and just fall down onhis own can you? Geez once you think about it even with the second option you'd still score.

 

It certainly sounds like the coach did all the "right" things in sitting his one's and probably his two's. I agree with you, you cannot tell your players to "not" play.

 

I wonder if their is the running clock rule in Florida. Not that it would have made that much of a difference, but these things are going to happen. Look at the scores against Cooper. No disrespect to this brand new program, but how do you avoid not stacking up huge scores against teams that are not ready to compete at the level they are playing at. I'm not quite sure that scheduling around these games is possible either. It's an interesting dilimma that will never be resolved.

Naples could have easily topped the century mark Friday, but state rules mandated that the clock run without stopping in the second half, shortening the game considerably.

-

From the article

 

In the article it said that the games was shortened in the second half due to the mandatory running clock.

Reading through the article, Naples didn't even play some of their starters. And the others only played a series or two. So, we're talking 2nd and 3rd teamers putting up at least 11 touchdowns. And the Estero coach doesn't seem upset about it at all. Heck, he even contacted the Naples coach days after the game to reiterate that he did nothing wrong.

 

The saddest part about the whole thing are the Naples' parents upset that their kids didn't play more and pad their stats.

  • Author

"Hey," offered Estero defensive line coach Pat Hayes after the one-sided affair, "I didn't even know 91 was a multiple of seven." :lol:

Does Fla have a running clock or any other "mercy" rule in place?

 

Yes. It said in the article that a running clock was used.

  • Author

Naples could have easily topped the century mark Friday, but state rules mandated that the clock run without stopping in the second half, shortening the game considerably.

I've said it before and I will say it again. You can NOT fairly accuse a team of running up the score if the final score is the only thing you have to go on. People are too quick to judge scores based on numbers.

I've said it before and I will say it again. You can NOT fairly accuse a team of running up the score if the final score is the only thing you have to go on. People are too quick to judge scores based on numbers.

 

I agree.

 

It is a lot more offensive to simply take a knee or punt when you get the ball than to tell your 3rd stringers to play.

The saddest part about the whole thing are the Naples' parents upset that their kids didn't play more and pad their stats.

 

Eh, the majority of Naples are a bunch of old fogies who have nothing better to complain about anyway.

Here's an article from the local paper after the game.

 

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/oct/10/prep-football-naples-estero/?partner=RSS

 

Naples' starting QB only played the 1st quarter. Their starting running back didn't play at all. The backup QB threw 2 touchdowns at the end of the 1st and start of the 2nd. They then scored 3 touchdowns in the 2nd via a punt return, fumble recover, and interception. Everything else were runs.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.