Let The Debate Begin....

fabfour

Ryan Ernst posted this on the Enquirer high school blog yesterday. There have been a number of great high school football players from this region since 2003.

Of course, this is subjective, and based on one person's opinion. What would your team look like?

Best I've seen ...

Posted by RyanErnst at 10/6/2008 5:33 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

I got into a conversation with someone the other day about the best football players I've covered in my six seasons on the Northern Kentucky beat. What would my all-time team look like? Probably something like this:

OFFENSE

QB: Drew Ellison, CovCath

RB: Cory Farris, Boone County

RB: Dustin Menetrey, Beechwood

OL: Sean Sester, Highlands

OL: Marcus Davis, Boone County

OL: Mike Donoghue, CovCath

OL: Dominic Mainello, Beechwood

OL: Scott Wise, Highlands

TE: Peter Sutton, CovCath

WR: Josh Canafax, NewCath

WR: Kurt Bovard, CovCath

K: Shane Popham, CovCath

DEFENSE

DL: Victor Singleton, Conner

DL: Justin Smith, NewCath

DL: Zack Kiernan, NewCath

DL: Drew Davis, Beechwood

LB: Vince Murray, Ryle

LB: Sam Flynn, CovCath

LB: Ben Guidugli, Highlands

LB: Jordan Nevels, Highlands

DB: Michael Mitchell, Highlands

DB: Scott Gray, Ryle

DB: Austin Collinsworth, Highlands

P: Josh Bleser, CovCath

Thoughts?

I was thinking maybe James Thomas (Newport) at receiver. But he had a shorter career and played weaker competition than the guys I have there right now. I was also thinking maybe Sam Diehl (NewCath) or Trevor Stellman (Conner) over Ellison. Did Andy Schulte (CovCath) belong on the offensive line somewhere? Does Duran Jefferson (Holmes) deserve a nod? Scott Kuhn (Conner) anyone?

(For the record, this starts with the 2003 football season.)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Ernst posted this on the Enquirer high school blog yesterday. There have been a number of great high school football players from this region since 2003.

Of course, this is subjective, and based on one person's opinion. What would your team look like?

Best I've seen ...

Posted by RyanErnst at 10/6/2008 5:33 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

I got into a conversation with someone the other day about the best football players I've covered in my six seasons on the Northern Kentucky beat. What would my all-time team look like? Probably something like this:

OFFENSE

QB: Drew Ellison, CovCath

RB: Cory Farris, Boone County

RB: Dustin Menetrey, Beechwood

OL: Sean Sester, Highlands

OL: Marcus Davis, Boone County

OL: Mike Donoghue, CovCath

OL: Dominic Mainello, Beechwood

OL: Scott Wise, Highlands

TE: Peter Sutton, CovCath

WR: Josh Canafax, NewCath

WR: Kurt Bovard, CovCath

K: Shane Popham, CovCath

DEFENSE

DL: Victor Singleton, Conner

DL: Justin Smith, NewCath

DL: Zack Kiernan, NewCath

DL: Drew Davis, Beechwood

LB: Vince Murray, Ryle

LB: Sam Flynn, CovCath

LB: Ben Guidugli, Highlands

LB: Jordan Nevels, Highlands

DB: Michael Mitchell, Highlands

DB: Scott Gray, Ryle

DB: Austin Collinsworth, Highlands

P: Josh Bleser, CovCath

Thoughts?

I was thinking maybe James Thomas (Newport) at receiver. But he had a shorter career and played weaker competition than the guys I have there right now. I was also thinking maybe Sam Diehl (NewCath) or Trevor Stellman (Conner) over Ellison. Did Andy Schulte (CovCath) belong on the offensive line somewhere? Does Duran Jefferson (Holmes) deserve a nod? Scott Kuhn (Conner) anyone?

(For the record, this starts with the 2003 football season.)

How come only 3 DB's? And were Mitchell and Gray CB's or Safeties?

Because I would take Joseph Casanada at CB over near anyone. Also, I'd consider Blesser at QB instead of Ellison.

Brandon Griffin, WR Campbell County put up some of the best numbers in KY HS football for a team that was not very talented (meaning he was the focus of every teams defense). The knock against Brandon was due to injuries, his only great year was his senior year, but he should get recognized.

Because I would take Joseph Casanada at CB over near anyone. Also, I'd consider Blesser at QB instead of Ellison.

I agree that Joe should be on the list at Corner. Of course, I probably would have just listed four.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

All of them are fine players...but he missed on quite a few. He's drunk the kool-aid on some of his picks...and hit the nail on the head on some others. I won't name names because...quite frankly...there are too many left out!

I think he went 3 to keep the total to 11. Nevels could be listed as a LB or DB.

Stellman over Ellison.

Possibly Kramer over Menetry. I'd have to see their stats to choose, but Farris is the #1 running back for sure.

Both were good, but Menetry could absolutely dominate the game. I saw Kramer once, and I found him extremely quick and gritty. However, Menetry carried his team to the state title his senior year. He was a man amongst boys.