Top 10 Players in the State?

Just some guys I left off my original list that I am very impressed by are: Some of them could end up being top 10 or 20 players IMO.

Barrett Meyer (very good high school guard

Donovan Sims (has a big upside)

Deshawn Thomas (one of the best guards in Louisville)

Jeremiah Johnson (Ricardo's brother, hes not hardly on the level with his bro, but very good. It will be very interesting to see how he develops).

Madison Johnson (very heady player for Corbin, I really enjoy watching him play)

Shawnta Zachary (3 sport star for Bell Co. He is probably one of the better high school athletes in the state as far as just being good at everything).

Josh Sliedel (Spelling?) (A very good scorer for North Laurel).

Matt St. Johns (probably the best big man in the mountains).

Justin Jones (I expect big things for him at Hazard this season).

I think Barrett is under-rated. He is strong on the ball and has good handles. He feeds the post very well. He can shoot lights out. I have seen him almost single-handedly bring teams back from certain losses because he can go ballistic from 3-point range and then drive off of his shooting.

Barrett and Franklin County play a spread offense that promotes very balanced scoring so you won't see night in night out 20 point games out of any of them, but they have players capable of that.

Another player moving up to this list will be Vance Hall also at Franklin County. Vance is an athletic, crazy, 1-2 guard who will score from a lot of different angles, and can also shoot. He is difficult to defend.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Euton play several times. I don't see what the fuss is about. My guess is he never plays a minute at UK. Who will he guard? A 2? A 3? Nope! A 4? A 5? Nope? Can he get his own shot? Nope! A good kid, mid-major ability.

He is also only headed into his junior year of high school. I am not predicting him to be a big star, but I do think its too early to judge him yet. He does rebound very well from what I have seen and is a great shooter. That makes him a very effective high school player.

He is also only headed into his junior year of high school. I am not predicting him to be a big star, but I do think its too early to judge him yet. He does rebound very well from what I have seen and is a great shooter. That makes him a very effective high school player.

He must become more aggressive, quicker, and a better ball handler. He's 6'8" but plays like a 2-guard because he doesnt attack the basket. If he could develop a quicker 1st step and be able to drive past a defender to the basket then we could be talking about him being a 5-star player. Hes good, but there are always small things that can improve to make you that much better.

1. Hood

2. Phares

3. Sanford

4. Zollo

5. Johnson

6. Guyn

7. Euton

8. Whitaker

9. Feguson

10. Jackson

Kind of funny four of those guys play for Scott County. Hope theirs not to many big ego's on one team should be interesting to see the team chemistry in the big games with all the college scouts watching them.

1. Hood

2. Phares

3. Sanford

4. Zollo

5. Johnson

6. Guyn

7. Euton

8. Whitaker

9. Feguson

10. Jackson

Kind of funny four of those guys play for Scott County. Hope theirs not to many big ego's on one team should be interesting to see the team chemistry in the big games with all the college scouts watching them.

Way off on a couple of boy's on this list. Have you seen them all play? I would say that Sanford, Hood, Phares, Johnson and Jenkins are the best in the state and the rest would be a toss up with the next thirty best. A lot of our opinions are based on opinions that college coaches make in commitments.

Edited by d-dawg

Sporting News National All-American team lists Jon Hood, Jacob Jenkins, Aaron Cosby, Greg Johnson, Richie Phares, Dakotah Euton, Leonard Macon, and Vinnie Zollo as honorable mentions.

Sporting News selected Jacob Jenkins for a second year straight on the Louisville All Metro team of five. Aaron Cosby also was selected to this year's team.

Edited by BGElite

Sporting News National All-American team lists Jon Hood, Jacob Jenkins, Aaron Cosby, Greg Johnson, Richie Phares, Dakotah Euton, Leonard Macon, and Vinnie Zollo as honorable mentions.

Sporting News selected Jacob Jenkins for a second year straight on the Louisville All Metro team of five. Aaron Cosby also was selected to this year's team.

Like I said " Commitments makes it automatic".

After looking over an extensive list here are my comments (with a little admitted Elliott County bias). Realize the trend is not to list too many players from one team with the exception of Scott County (Phares, Guyn, Jackson, and Euton).

Ferguson made 4 of the list on here for Top 10. No problem.

Ethan Faulkner only made BG Elite's Top 10, but Ferguson didn't on his list.

Ethan is one of the top 2 or 3 point guards in the state and in my personal opinion the best because of his decision making, tenacity, and experience.

Log Mountain Boy listed 33 players for consideration and listed Ferg and Ethan Faulkner, but no Evan Faulkner. Realize there are a lot of good players in the state, but I find it hard to believe that 33 are better than Evan.

Timmy Knipp made no mention anywhere on here. Fine, but by the 2010/2011season he will no doubt make plenty of list. Timmy has to be one of the top sophomores in the state along with Zollo, Stenzel, Kimbro, Barksdale, Fant, and Shanklin.

Not really putting up a big fight, but Elliott has 4 really good basketball players in 2008/2009.

After looking over an extensive list here are my comments (with a little admitted Elliott County bias). Realize the trend is not to list too many players from one team with the exception of Scott County (Phares, Guyn, Jackson, and Euton).

Ethan is one of the top 2 or 3 point guards in the state and in my personal opinion the best because of his decision making, tenacity, and experience.

Log Mountain Boy listed 33 players for consideration and listed Ferg and Ethan Faulkner, but no Evan Faulkner. Realize there are a lot of good players in the state, but I find it hard to believe that 33 are better than Evan.

Timmy Knipp made no mention anywhere on here. Fine, but by the 2010/2011season he will no doubt make plenty of list. Timmy has to be one of the top sophomores in the state along with Zollo, Stenzel, Kimbro, Barksdale, Fant, and Shanklin.

Not really putting up a big fight, but Elliott has 4 really good basketball players in 2008/2009.

I agree:thumb::thumb:

I agree:thumb::thumb:

Thanks D-dawg. They are just numbers. To be safe I will say that all 4 are in the Top 100 players in the state. Can't be too far off with that one. Kentucky does have a hundred really good players and the talent level is good. Maybe not great, but good.........

:dancingpa:dancingpa Elliott Co. in the house!!!

I am just kidding. I left Evan Faulkner off by accident. I had thought I had listed him. And really I forgot about Knipp as well. Hes pretty good right now and the best college prospect on the team.

Timmy Knipp should not be mentioned on this list. Average player at best. You would think that playing with the Faulkners he would play with passion and give great effort but I don't see that with him. He has the physical tools but I am not sure that he can be a special player. He is not in the same class as Zollo, Stenzel, Kimbro, Barksdale, Fant and Shanklin.

The Faulkners and Ferguson should be on everyone's list. There are not to many players that play with the intensity, intellegence, and confidence that these three guys play with. Amazing players!!