August 25, 200818 yr Re-read my post. I assigned blame to no one. I simply disagreed with a prior post that automatically assumed there was no way the coaches could possibly bear any responsibility in this tragedy. The possibility does exist. I'm not trying to argue, but it was a passive assignment of blame, and leads a reader to believe that the coaches are to blame. The "Laying at the feet" comments leads a person to believe that the coaches are guilty of something. But, if you say that was not your intention, then I believe you.
August 25, 200818 yr Thoughts and prayers from Carroll County. We suffered a tragic loss just last week (ours wasn't heat related) and know what you are going through.
August 25, 200818 yr I'm not trying to argue, but it was a passive assignment of blame, and leads a reader to believe that the coaches are to blame. The "Laying at the feet" comments leads a person to believe that the coaches are guilty of something. But, if you say that was not your intention, then I believe you. Not my intention at all. I very much hope (and assume) the coaches did everything right. But a young man died. It deserves a very thorough investigation and no one is above answering to their responsibility if their actions are deemed a contributing factor. Comments hoping that "the coaches of this young man aren't blasted" and that "finger pointing shouldn't be done to this team and their coaches" are premature and misplaced, IMO.
August 25, 200818 yr Not my intention at all. I very much hope (and assume) the coaches did everything right. But a young man died. It deserves a very thorough investigation and no one is above answering to their responsibility if their actions are deemed a contributing factor. Comments hoping that "the coaches of this young man aren't blasted" and that "finger pointing shouldn't be done to this team and their coaches" are premature and misplaced, IMO. The coaches are innocent until proven guilty, and they have not been proven guilty. But, I agree with the rest of your post completely.:thumb:
August 25, 200818 yr Why would you automatically assume that there isn't some blame to be placed at the feet of these coaches? I don't know them or this situation myself either and I certainly hope their actions didn't contribute/cause this. But if a thorough investigation determines that there were questionable actions on the part of the coaching staff that contributed to this tragedy, then they need to answer for their mistakes. Even "good coaches" with good intentions can cross the line and make mistakes, possibly even tragic mistakes. Again, I wish to stress I have no personal knowledge of this situation at all. But a young man had died over a game and it needs to be thoroughly investigated to see if something can be learned/improved from this terrible event. Oh my goodness....I had no idea that a simple statement I made would generate such a backlash toward me. I most certainly did not mean that if the coaches did something wrong that they shouldn't have to face any judgement from that. What I meant was that I hope no one just automatically assumed that they were in the wrong and blame them needlessly for a child's death. It is hard enough for everyone involved but for people to start blaming until they know where the blame is to go, is IMO wrong. Please do not ever assume that I don't think there should be an investigation. A child died and two got sick, of course there should be an investigation. But until that investigation is done then all ....What if's....should just be left alone. Sometimes false thoughts and sayings hurt people when they don't need to be hurt.
August 25, 200818 yr The coaches are innocent until proven guilty, and they have not been proven guilty. But, I agree with the rest of your post completely.:thumb: Trust me, usually doesn't work that way.
August 25, 200818 yr Oh my goodness....I had no idea that a simple statement I made would generate such a backlash toward me. I most certainly did not mean that if the coaches did something wrong that they shouldn't have to face any judgement from that. What I meant was that I hope no one just automatically assumed that they were in the wrong and blame them needlessly for a child's death. It is hard enough for everyone involved but for people to start blaming until they know where the blame is to go, is IMO wrong. Please do not ever assume that I don't think there should be an investigation. A child died and two got sick, of course there should be an investigation. But until that investigation is done then all ....What if's....should just be left alone. Sometimes false thoughts and sayings hurt people when they don't need to be hurt. Well said. :thumb:
August 26, 200818 yr Not trying to speak for Cooperstown, but I believe that three players in all collapsed at the practice, two went to the hospital. I think it's apparent where one could make a justified assumption. That said, until more comes out, I hope no one is blamed. Just because three collapsed, they may not be related. We had an instance at UPS year ago where someone said they smelled something from a box and passed out. A few folks saw this, then they passed out. Then folks around the hub heard about it (not even seeing it) and they passed out or felt dizzy, about 35 in all. In the end, there was never anything found that caused this episode, and 99% on the employees didn't even smell anything. So just because three guys collapsed don't eliminate the fact that it may have been hysteria. Not saying it was, but just sayin'. My kid practiced during those same hours that day and thought it felt great outside, but wasn't wearing football gear all the same. FYI, the news tonight said no autopsy was performed, but it wasn't clear if one will be. Bottom line, I'm keeping an open mind on this right now, because usually they are caused from unknown medical conditions anyway. Our hearts go out to all involved.
August 26, 200818 yr Prayers and heartfelt condolences to this young man's family, friends, and teammates from Lawrence County.
August 27, 200818 yr Why would you automatically assume that any blame should be place on the coaches. We don't know yet in this case, but many of these situations where players die, it turns out that the player had a congenital heart problem that no one knew about. So, until all the facts are in, I don't think we should be throwing any blame on anyone. If someone is guilty of doing anything wrong, we will find out after all the facts are known. The coaches are innocent until proven guilty, and they have not been proven guilty. But, I agree with the rest of your post completely.:thumb: :thumb: Oh my goodness....I had no idea that a simple statement I made would generate such a backlash toward me. I most certainly did not mean that if the coaches did something wrong that they shouldn't have to face any judgement from that. What I meant was that I hope no one just automatically assumed that they were in the wrong and blame them needlessly for a child's death. It is hard enough for everyone involved but for people to start blaming until they know where the blame is to go, is IMO wrong. Please do not ever assume that I don't think there should be an investigation. A child died and two got sick, of course there should be an investigation. But until that investigation is done then all ....What if's....should just be left alone. Sometimes false thoughts and sayings hurt people when they don't need to be hurt. :thumb: Excellent post RK, I knew exactly what you meant. Trust me, usually doesn't work that way. You are right, the coach is usually the first one that catches the blame. Should it turn out that way then that I am sure will be dealt with but don't crucify a man that has dedicated his life and profession to working with kids before all the facts are known.
August 27, 200818 yr Something that has not been considered... We talk about the heat index and hydration during practice. There is one thing the coaches have very little control over and that is hydration BEFORE practice. I, of course, am not saying that is the case here, just that really, that's the most important time to get hydrated.
August 28, 200818 yr The Courier Journal has a few articles today about this tragedy and according to the articles eyewitnesses have come forward with some concerning information about the coaches not allowing water breaks. If true, this is very alarming. I really feel for the family and community.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.