Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Three 7th Region Coaches Face KHSAA Penalty

Featured Replies

IOther than that, what is the reason for the dead period?

 

To make sure the kids can be kids for two weeks.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the dates should be easy to follow, they are clearly posted in the schedule for each year. If I understand correctly, there is no insurance coverage during the "non-season". Other than that, what is the reason for the dead period?
Per the KHSAA ByLaw 26, casebook.

 

Case BL-26-6- What is the purpose of the Dead Period

(Bylaw 26, Section 2)?

 

Over the years, many of our fine but sometimes overzealous coaches have required their players to play scores of games throughout the summer, in addition to a year-round workout regimen. While this may seem to be in the best interest of developing sports talent, such is not the purpose of high school athletics.

 

High school sports are to supplement classroom learning and allow for in-season competitive opportunities, not a year round Olympic or professional development period. Families were complaining that they could not plan vacations and family

outings because of coach’s requirements and athletes were complaining of burn out. In addition, schools were increasingly concerned with liability issues related to the summer. In a survey conducted by the KHSAA, 80% of superintendents, principals and athletic directors who returned the survey indicated they supported a “dead period” in the summer. Initial responses were overwhelmingly in support of a four (4) week dead period. The primary intent of the regulation is to eliminate, for an approximately two (2) week period, the leverage a coach has over his/her high school athletes.

I agree that the dates should be easy to follow, they are clearly posted in the schedule for each year. If I understand correctly, there is no insurance coverage during the "non-season". Other than that, what is the reason for the dead period?

 

 

Something that makes it even easier is that the dates are the SAME every summer, starting June 25 through the END of July 9 every year!!

Thanks STRIKE3.

Thanks STRIKE3.
....:thumb:

The tournament was on July 9th? Was July 9th the last day of the dead period, maybe midnight July 9th?

 

(I am not saying it was right even if it was the last day of the dead period, rules are rules)

The tournament was on July 9th? Was July 9th the last day of the dead period, maybe midnight July 9th?

 

(I am not saying it was right even if it was the last day of the dead period, rules are rules)

 

The Dead peiod is June 25-July 9th. Coaches only had to wait one more day before attending the Hoops fest. Expect more coaches to be disciplined including Eastern and St.X.

Per the KHSAA ByLaw 26, casebook.

 

Case BL-26-6- What is the purpose of the Dead Period

(Bylaw 26, Section 2)?

 

Over the years, many of our fine but sometimes overzealous coaches have required their players to play scores of games throughout the summer, in addition to a year-round workout regimen. While this may seem to be in the best interest of developing sports talent, such is not the purpose of high school athletics.

 

High school sports are to supplement classroom learning and allow for in-season competitive opportunities, not a year round Olympic or professional development period. Families were complaining that they could not plan vacations and family

outings because of coach’s requirements and athletes were complaining of burn out. In addition, schools were increasingly concerned with liability issues related to the summer. In a survey conducted by the KHSAA, 80% of superintendents, principals and athletic directors who returned the survey indicated they supported a “dead period” in the summer. Initial responses were overwhelmingly in support of a four (4) week dead period. The primary intent of the regulation is to eliminate, for an approximately two (2) week period, the leverage a coach has over his/her high school athletes.

 

Question? If 80% of those responding favored a 4 week dead period, then why is it only 2 weeks in length?

I don't like this rule! I agree with the dead period that coaches cannot instruct their players, but I think if they are playing on an AAU team or something then the coaches should be able to watch them! The event was open to the public, so all coaches should be able to go, just not instruct their players. What if a coach had a son who was playing in a game during the dead period? The FATHER isn't allowed to watch his son play?

 

The rule needs some refining IMO.

I don't like this rule! I agree with the dead period that coaches cannot instruct their players, but I think if they are playing on an AAU team or something then the coaches should be able to watch them! The event was open to the public, so all coaches should be able to go, just not instruct their players. What if a coach had a son who was playing in a game during the dead period? The FATHER isn't allowed to watch his son play?

 

The rule needs some refining IMO.

 

This is what I was talking about when I posted I agreed. I don't see why they can't go watch them play.....not coach..just watch some good basketball??? Agree, the rule needs changing.

Interesting...

 

Morrow was involved in a recent violation at J-Town, involving a player that transferred from Manual, wasn't he?

Interesting...

 

Morrow was involved in a recent violation at J-Town, involving a player that transferred from Manual, wasn't he?

 

Wasn't he also involved in something to do with Dominic Tilford? I can't recall for sure.

Wasn't he also involved in something to do with Dominic Tilford? I can't recall for sure.

 

 

I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

Tilford was at J'town and was going to transfer to Ballard. He was ruled ineligible, because he had not moved. He decided to come back to J'town.

I don't like this rule! I agree with the dead period that coaches cannot instruct their players, but I think if they are playing on an AAU team or something then the coaches should be able to watch them! The event was open to the public, so all coaches should be able to go, just not instruct their players. What if a coach had a son who was playing in a game during the dead period? The FATHER isn't allowed to watch his son play?

 

The rule needs some refining IMO.

 

 

Fathers (or mothers) who are coaches ARE allowed to go watch games during the dead period in which their child is playing, they can also COACH them during the dead period provided no other members of their high school team are playing.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.