Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cooper 2008

Featured Replies

Walton did it the right way. Started with a freshman team, who went on the become their JV team last year, and who are now their varsity team.

 

:thumb:

  • Replies 31
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooper is going to try and put a freshmen Jv and varsity team on the field. Most of the kids playing varsity are in grade 11 and 10.

I don't think it was the administration's decision at Cooper to go Varsity - heard it was decided at the board office - if they played a jv schedule then I think the to be juniors would have gotten to make the decision whether to stay at their current school or move. Playing a varsity schedule in all areas they were making sure that only the seniors to be had the option to stay or move.

 

 

Doesn't make it any easier on the athletes who are going to have to play a brutal district schedule. Board was probably trying to eliminate any of those open enrollment type of issues that we have in Kenton County.

That is easy, it is over in Independence!!!!!

 

Just a hypothetical question.:D

I don't think it was the administration's decision at Cooper to go Varsity - heard it was decided at the board office - if they played a jv schedule then I think the to be juniors would have gotten to make the decision whether to stay at their current school or move. Playing a varsity schedule in all areas they were making sure that only the seniors to be had the option to stay or move.

 

Another example of Boone Co. BOE hurting its football programs.......

I don't think it was the administration's decision at Cooper to go Varsity - heard it was decided at the board office - if they played a jv schedule then I think the to be juniors would have gotten to make the decision whether to stay at their current school or move. Playing a varsity schedule in all areas they were making sure that only the seniors to be had the option to stay or move.

 

No offense to Raider34 ... but this statement isn't close to being the truth.

 

I can guarantee that the grade cut off for students had EVERYTHING to do with the fact that the schools in Boone County were way over crowded (go to Conner and look at the 11 mobile units that are outside if you need any further proof).

 

That decision had ZERO to do with athletics ... and everything to do with being able to provide a more consistent educational environment.

 

There is conclusive evidence from the last new school (RYLE) that says that this plan (the move directly into varsity) should work. Ryle made the playoffs in their second year (they were in a district that was basically out of NKY--and they were also in AAA at the time). But with the caliber of players that they are getting ... they don't need to take the path of brand new programs (like Walton/Brossart who are starting from scratch).

 

Anyone who thinks that the BOE put a lot of thought into how athletics was effected needs to go back to the drawing board. They were worried about what they should have been worried about--being able to put kids in real class rooms.

I realize that the BOE didn't strictly consider athletics in their decision - I also believe Ryle did not start off with a varsity schedule their first year and when Ryle opened JR's & SR's were given the option to stay at their current school. Yes, Conner is overcrowded but you can thank Blavett for telling developers a few years ago to continue building our schools can handle the students.

I realize that the BOE didn't strictly consider athletics in their decision - I also believe Ryle did not start off with a varsity schedule their first year and when Ryle opened JR's & SR's were given the option to stay at their current school. Yes, Conner is overcrowded but you can thank Blavett for telling developers a few years ago to continue building our schools can handle the students.

 

Ryle played Varsity football their first year ... I know that ... because I played in the first game that they ever played .. which was against a Varsity team (I am dating myself here).

 

As far as your second statement ... again .. no offense .. but you are off base. Developers don't seek input from the BOE in regard to space. (Also ..keep in mind--when this new school opens .. there is more space--and there are more schools on the books--and they need is the money to build them). They may do research to understand the area that they are building in ... but at the end of the day .. developers are there to build houses and make money. That simple ...

 

In the end ... the BOE did the right thing. Ryle did things well--because they had an administration in place who understood the value of athletics to the community (and it didn't hurt that they tapped into the area where Boone County was getting a lot of their better players from).

 

In the end ... (and this isn't a judgement on the current staff) but the ability to build a football program rests squarely on the shoulders of the head coach. There is conclusive evidence to that point right in NKY.

 

And last ... if I am a kid who has to leave Conner, Ryle or Boone ... just because I live in a certain spot .. you can bet that I want to play for something. And I definitely don't want to just play a JV schedule.

Guys I think you are both right:

 

"The first year Ryle played 5 varsity and 4 jv games."

I am going to date myself here - I have been a resident of BC for 25 years and didn't grow up here - I chose to move here when after I was married for a couple years! I didn't say the developers asked the BOE if they could build - when I moved here there were 600 residents in the city of Union - when a developer wants to start a new development they must go before the Planning commission etc. it was at one of the meetings that the committee asked for input from Blavett who made the comment that our schools can handle the development - this has gotten off topic - so I will end it now. I don't feel Cooper is ready for a varsity schedule in any of their athletic programs but I do wish them well.

Good Luck Cooper. You will need it

Good Luck Cooper. You will need it

 

:lol::lol::lol::p Yes they will..

I think Cooper could come out and surprise Conner. The majority of the kids come from Conner and I wouldn't be surprised if this develops into a nice rivalry.

Does anyone have a clue who is taking the field for them though?

 

Good question.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.