Justin Morneau wins 2008 All-Star Homerun Derby

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of eliminating the second round. Take the top two hitters in the first round and give them a $$$ incentive for each home run hit -- say $1,000 per HR.

Take the top two hitters from the first round and play them off the old HR Derby format from years ago where they get three outs an "Inning". Play nine innings. Make them go head to head, but they get a little breather in there between each "inning". EA gets to grace the screen a little more because she is interviewing them between "innings"

Oh and in 2007, 2003, 2001, 1997 the winner didn't hit the most home runs..

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/history/hr_derby.jsp

and this proves what?

The same thing was said when Sosa hit a then record 26 and then again when Abreu hit 41..

Hamilton put on a show no doubt but in a few years from now someone will put this HR derby to shame..

Maybe so and I can only hope that theyguy that hits the most HR's actually is named the winner, in other words I hope that the way it is set up is changed.

I'm still trying to figure out why Hamilton deserved to win?

What I believe everyone is saying (at least what I am saying) is that the way the derby is set up to name the winner is wrong. No, with the way the HR Derby is set up he didn't win and I can only speak for me but I said that. What I said and meant (just to explain it again:rolleyes:) is imo the thing is set up wrong and the winner should be the guy that actually hits the most HR's.

He did in my eyes. I quit watching after he hit those 28hrs tho. I saw all I needed to see.
:thumb: I kept watching but you are right, imo after I witnessed that show the thing was over.

I will say it again.......The HR derby is an exhibition for the fans, doesn't mean anything as far as any championships. JMO but the actual all star game should be the same.

Hey, just thought of something, maybe we can determine the winner of the all star game by the team that has the most hits, pitchers with the most strikeouts, team with the fewer errors or something like that. Lord knows it shouldn't be the team that scores the most runs in the game be the winner.................LOL

Edited by oldrambler

This is a silly argument and it seems you are just looking for one. Hamilton flat out stole the show.

:thumb::thumb: "who did they name the winner again?":lol:

I'm outta here, Mr. Morneau won the HR derby with the way that it is set up at the present time, Josh Hamilton won the Derby in the eyes of most fans and most of the players that were there as well I believe.

Anyway, I think that the fans were the real winners last night!

I think Josh's pitcher got worn out.The first round he was like a machine,every pitch almost was in the same spot.The last round he was having trouble with his location and that was not helping the home run total.But man,at 71 years old,how many guys could throw that long and get them over the plate.He was the winner for Josh as much as Josh was.:thumb: