Junior makes an offer for #600

Through the Marlins' front office, Goldberg (Jr's agent) and Griffey have passed along an offer to Scherer for the return of the ball. It includes 10 Griffey memorabilia items, including some game-used articles, items that came from other players and an all-expense paid trip for four people to New York for next month's All-Star break. The three-day, three-night vacation would include tickets to all the Yankee Stadium events, including the All-Star Game and Home Run Derby.

So far, Griffey and Goldberg have not heard back.

"The offer is still good," Goldberg said.

The guy who caught it is planning to auction it on Aug 1st and hopes to get 50-100k. But with taxes and auction fee's Jr and his agent say he might be surprised on how much he nets.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never understood baseball players when it comes to this issue. I do NOT begrudge them for all the money they make but yet they are quick to stand in judgment of a fan who has something marketable.

Why doesn't Jr. just give the fellow what he wants in cash instead of offering up a bunch of stuff that Jr. may not even have to pay for and for hypocrisy's sake please quit tearing the guy down because he is trying to make a buck.

I have never understood baseball players when it comes to this issue. I do NOT begrudge them for all the money they make but yet they are quick to stand in judgment of a fan who has something marketable.

Why doesn't Jr. just give the fellow what he wants in cash instead of offering up a bunch of stuff that Jr. may not even have to pay for and for hypocrisy's sake please quit tearing the guy down because he is trying to make a buck.

Has Junior been "tearing the guy down"?

Here is what Griffey has to say about the situation, per http://www.cincinnatireds.com

"It's his choice. I'd like to have it but it is what it is," Griffey told MLB.com on Friday. "Realistically, I didn't break any record, tie any record or anything. I was the sixth person to hit 590 and 602, too."

Reds officials met with Scherer moments after Griffey hit the homer, but efforts to negotiate for the ball were immediately rebuffed.

Griffey's agent, Brian Goldberg, has made numerous unsuccessful attempts to reach Scherer.

"I totally respect Joe's right to sell the ball," Goldberg told MLB.com. "But he's got to separate fantasy from reality. Nobody is more proud of Junior than I am, but I don't think the dollar value is going to be anything close to what Joe thinks. This ball didn't break any records and it's not unique."

Sure seems to me that Griffey Jr. & his agent are handling it pretty well.

I can see the guy wanting to make a quick buck, but selling Jr's 600th HR ball won't bring him what he thinks. He'd be better off taking the deal given to him.

I'd jump all over it. The last All Star game to be held in the historic Yankee Stadium and all the memorabilia would be hard for me to pass up.

If I remember correctly, I saw estimates of upto $100k for the ball. Lets say they're 50% wrong. That's $50k. I'm assuming that's taxable as well with some selling fees involved. Lets say he then ends up with $25k.

You wouldn't take $25k?

Through his agent yes he is with comments about the ball owner being ignorant about the value of the ball.

If so, that's a shame.

Everything that I have read has been fairly positive & understanding. Where have you read anything that would be considered disrespectful to Joe from South Beach?

From this thread, the below clearly states Joe is ignorant as to value:

"I totally respect Joe's right to sell the ball," Goldberg told MLB.com. "But he's got to separate fantasy from reality. Nobody is more proud of Junior than I am, but I don't think the dollar value is going to be anything close to what Joe thinks. This ball didn't break any records and it's not unique."

Besides getting lesser value for the baseball, Goldberg pointed out that auction fees and taxes would reduce the sum by a hefty percentage.

"He's going to be disappointed at how much he nets," Goldberg said.

Jr had more luck with #400 in Colorado I remember him just taking a glove out to center and the person gave the ball up for the glove. The kid in St. Louis gave #500 up easily but received some nice gifts.. and pretty much the same exact package to the all-star game that year, that Jr is offering this guy.

Jr probably doesn't realize since he has made millions for the past 10 years that times are tough right now.. this guy wants a little dough.. I agree with the guru, pay the man fair market value and move on.