Should the drinking age be lowered?

Should the drinking age be lowered?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should the drinking age be lowered?

• No, it should remain illegal to drink alcohol until age 21.
    • Yes, but conditionally- between 18 and 21's can't purchase liquor
    • Yes, with no conditions, 18 and over should be legal
    • Yes, with no conditions, anyone should be able to buy and consume alcohol
    • Other

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only complaint with the drinking age being at 21 is the fact that 18 year old kids are able to go overseas and die for our country, but aren't allowed to have an alcoholic beverage.

18 year olds are also able to go overseas and drink.

I'm a firm believer that if you introduce alcohol to kids early, they are less likely to mishandle alcohol as they're older.

I'm not in favor of lowering the legal drinking age. Someone check my forehead for fever symptoms - I agree with lbbc on this one.

The arguments that tie drinking age to other privileges don't have much merit. Do we really want 19 year-olds operating military equipment with hangovers?

And it always seemed to me that the driving age could stand to be raised. It strikes me that there is an extremely high rate of fatal vehicle accidents involving very young drivers for two reasons. They're inexperienced drivers, but also inexperienced drinkers. And this is NOT an argument to LOWER the drinking age so that drinking experience can happen at an earlier age.:D

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/tables/08s1081.xls

As a 21 year old who really enjoys drinking, and has been doing so for about many many years now I think the age should stay right where it is. People who are under 21 are going to drink if they want to anyways. I believe that if you lowered the drinking age the negatives would outweigh the positives in a landslide.

Why does 18 work as the drinking age in Europe without problem?

I would say that the culture is different. From conversations I have had with a couple guys from Germany, families start introducing it much younger at dinner and things like that.

But don't think that Europeans are angels when it comes to drinking. I am sure they have just as many issues as we do, we just don't hear about it. And I think the reason we don't hear about it is because they don't seem to have as big of a problem with drinking and driving, probably because many don't drive and metros are more available...just an idea though.

I would say that the culture is different. From conversations I have had with a couple guys from Germany, families start introducing it much younger at dinner and things like that.

But don't think that Europeans are angels when it comes to drinking. I am sure they have just as many issues as we do, we just don't hear about it. And I think the reason we don't hear about it is because they don't seem to have as big of a problem with drinking and driving, probably because many don't drive and metros are more available...just an idea though.

They have a problem with drinking and driving. It's just that their culture and even Christian culture does not view alcohol through the "Temperance League" eyes that ours can.