Should the drinking age be lowered?

Should the drinking age be lowered?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should the drinking age be lowered?

• No, it should remain illegal to drink alcohol until age 21.
    • Yes, but conditionally- between 18 and 21's can't purchase liquor
    • Yes, with no conditions, 18 and over should be legal
    • Yes, with no conditions, anyone should be able to buy and consume alcohol
    • Other

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only complaint with the drinking age being at 21 is the fact that 18 year old kids are able to go overseas and die for our country, but aren't allowed to have an alcoholic beverage.

I voted other, as I would keep the age at 21, but allow a certain military exception, which I believe they used to do, where men and women of the armed forces are able to drink.

My only complaint with the drinking age being at 21 is the fact that 18 year old kids are able to go overseas and die for our country, but aren't allowed to have an alcoholic beverage.

I voted other, as I would keep the age at 21, but allow a certain military exception, which I believe they used to do, where men and women of the armed forces are able to drink.

:thumb: Exactly what I was going to post. Kind of freaked me out when I read yours.

I voted no as well but please elaborate as to why the military argument is irrelevant.

We let them drive and be in charge of a 2,000 ton vehicle and take others lives in their own hands at the age of 16. If we give them that much responsibility at 16, maybe they should be allowed to drink. In the mindset of being able to serve should mean you can drink.

Maybe the age to serve is too low and they are not making good decisions at the age of 18 and enrollment age should be 21.

Drinking has nothing to do with serving in the military. NONE.

We let them drive and be in charge of a 2,000 ton vehicle and take others lives in their own hands at the age of 16. If we give them that much responsibility at 16, maybe they should be allowed to drink. In the mindset of being able to serve should mean you can drink.

Maybe the age to serve is too low and they are not making good decisions at the age of 18 and enrollment age should be 21.

I haven't heard it put like that before. I agree.

I was just going to say what you said! The drinking age shouldn't be lowered, but the age to serve in the military should be raised.

I was just going to say what you said! The drinking age shouldn't be lowered, but the age to serve in the military should be raised.

Let me point out that I have no problem with the enrollment age being 18.

As a HS teacher, many young men are greatly benefitted from having a military life plan out of HS. In fact, many others that are lost on what they want to do and are just floating, fathering children and causing problems would have benefitted from the discipline that military service provides.

Are you sure? I am not talking about being a bartender, I am talking about owning a restaurant that has a bar.

You may be right

I don't know anyone under 21 that owns a bar so I don't know about that one. I would only assume you have to be 21 to get a liquior license.

Not 100% sure but I know when we bag groceries, our athletes are not allowed to touch the alcohol and bag it. An adult has to legally come and do it.

I also have seen many teens who have had to go get someone else when a customer brought alcohol through their line.

But that cutoff might have been at 18. Not 100% sure.