Top 5 teams in the 13th region next year?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Wright flat OUT COACHED P, there is no way comparing teams and talent that South last year should have been within 15 points of Corbin. And who cares about being runner up it doesnt mean a thing. Look at the All A when he won it, a team like Corbin should breeze through the All A playing schools that are in it especially how weak those schools were that year.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Steve Wright flat OUT COACHED P, there is no way comparing teams and talent that South last year should have been within 15 points of Corbin. And who cares about being runner up it doesnt mean a thing. Look at the All A when he won it, a team like Corbin should breeze through the All A playing schools that are in it especially how weak those schools were that year.

I agree:thumb:

I would say that Steve Wright is a better coach than Pietrowski (especially at this point). The record speaks for itself and Wright has a ton of experience. There have been a lot of good coaches, however, who have been outcoached by Steve Wright.

There were alot of factors that went into Corbin giving up the lead last year, one of which was not coaching ability but immaturity on the part of the fans, players and coaches. I thought Coach P did all he could to reign in the players by calling a time out at the right point, but the fans and even some of his coaches were too far gone to reel back in. Had Corbin stayed with what they were doing and continued to play hard instead of thinking the game was over they would have won. Plus South made some incrediable plays in that run.

Now part of that is coaching, but don't put that all on Tony. I thought his assistants let him down during that game.

To this year, I think that Corbin is far and away the best team on paper, but you have to consider Knox Central, Bell, Clay, and some unkown (at this point) darkhorse. The real darkhorse may be South Laurel, that is a new role for them in this region.

I would say that Steve Wright is a better coach than Pietrowski (especially at this point). The record speaks for itself and Wright has a ton of experience. There have been a lot of good coaches, however, who have been outcoached by Steve Wright.

Steve Wright is a good coach that has had some great help on the sideline and on the court over the years.

Steve Wright is a good coach that has had some great help on the sideline and on the court over the years.

I have never met him (which probably sounds weird because it seems everyone knows him) but I hear Coach Denny does a great job! Last year was maybe Wright's most impressive job, because he did not have the best talent like he has a lot of years.

I see the Region coming down to these 8 teams:

49th District: Clay County-Champion

North Laurel-Runner-up

50th District: Corbin- Champion

South Laurel-runner-up

51st District: Knox Central-Champion

Barbourville-Runner-up

52nd District: Bell County-Champion

Harlan County-Runnerup

I think alot of it will come down to the draw. I think there will not be a lot of upsets in the first round, the second round is where it will get interesting.

IF Coach Elam does not have a break down, and Corbin lives up to the hype, then I could see a Corbin verses Knox Central Final.

BUT it could easily be any of the four winners.

Corbin by far has the most talent in the region and on talent alone should win the region, but we all know sometimes they does not happen. I have to question their x's and o's. I mean last year in the regional tournament South threw a junk defense at them and all they had to do was get it to the middle and dump it down to Crawford, but the coach look like he had never seen a defense before. I am going with South Laurel, I do believe it is a mental thing for Corbin when it comes to playing South when it really counts.

The factors that led to South Laurel's victory:

1. Bortnem made some big-time clutch plays and shots going down the stretch.

2. St John aggressively contested every Corbin shot on the inside which led to very poor shooting from the Hounds in the paint.

3. The Corbin players were caught in between trying to hold the ball or trying to score and the clock did not run out fast enough before South caught them.

This is how I see things shaking up this year, just off the limb.

49th- The most weak district in the region. Clay will be the champion, North does not have much besides Seidell, but should be the runner up based on the fact that Jackson, Red Bird, and OBI are just way worse than they are.

50- South Laurel edges Corbin out in what seems to be the first of two classic battles

51st- Knox Central will be the champion, I look for Lynn Camp to be the runner up. A good, young hard working coach the Wildcats have.

52nd- Bell County will be the champion, Harlan County will be the runner up. Jones is a great coach, but I have no idea what kind of talent he will have after taking over the helm.

Regional Tournament- Clay draws Corbin and losses to the Hounds in the first round causing a stir up in Manchester. In that side of the bracket Knox Central beats Harlan County setting up a semi final show down with Knox and Corbin. South thumps North, and Bell gets revenge on Lynn Camp from last season, setting up a South/Bell Friday night semi. South and Corbin meet in the final with South winning in a low scoring double overtime thriller.

Regions Biggest Sleeper- Bell County, not a lot of people talking about them.

You could be right, but I don't see South being able to hold Corbin down offensively. Corbin just has too many guys who can score from anywhere on the floor. Of course that can be a downfall for them if they are not shooting well.

If Corbin and South were to play in the Region final that would make them playing 4 times, two regular season games, one in the district and the finals. Regular season games are for seeding and they could split or even one team sweep. If Corbin sweeps, it could really put the whammy on South, if they split, the district is huge, becuase who ever wins the district has a leg up on the other as the winner gets a loser, so they should have the easy game first. I think for South the be able to win the region they HAVE TO WIN the district. Corbin on the other hand can still go in a loser and win. I don't see either team sweeping the other as they are too well coached and have too much talant.

BTW sorry to Whitley and Williamsburg, although both will be improved, they will not be factors in the post season, Corbin and South are still a couple of steps ahead, but those two teams are gaining.

Edited by Thomas Magnum
Content

I know that Corbin and South are ahead of the pack but should Corbin get the #1 seed, I could see a much improved Whitley team possibly shocking South in district. The Colonels gave them fits last season. Whitley improves and South has a drop off. Do the math. I'm not saying it will happen but don't count out Chris Baker's boys.

I know that Corbin and South are ahead of the pack but should Corbin get the #1 seed, I could see a much improved Whitley team possibly shocking South in district. The Colonels gave them fits last season. Whitley improves and South has a drop off. Do the math. I'm not saying it will happen but don't count out Chris Baker's boys.

Why do you think South will drop off?