What should the Reds do with Adam Dunn?

What should the Reds do with Dunn?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Reds do with Dunn?

• Sign him to a long term contract. Griffey will be gone, and they need his production
    • Trade him, and get some prospects
    • Let him walk at the end of the year, and get basically nothing for him.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know the dollar amount to which we think the Reds can sign him. The Reds to often have hamstrung themselves with big dollar contracts to individual players ie; Barry Larkin and JR. Some have suggested he may take a pay cut at roughly 10 million a year. Others have forcasted more lofty dollar amounts that a small market team such as the Reds have a problem with. I will reserve my vote until we can determine what that contract might be. Or perhaps we can add an option to the poll reflecting two different long term contracts. In the long run it will come down to fiscal responsibility as to determining the success of the club.

I'd like to know the dollar amount to which we think the Reds can sign him. The Reds to often have hamstrung themselves with big dollar contracts to individual players ie; Barry Larkin and JR. Some have suggested he may take a pay cut at roughly 10 million a year. Others have forcasted more lofty dollar amounts that a small market team such as the Reds have a problem with. I will reserve my vote until we can determine what that contract might be. Or perhaps we can add an option to the poll reflecting two different long term contracts. In the long run it will come down to fiscal responsibility as to determining the success of the club.

That is true, my vote would change if they could get him cheaper.

The Reds aren't going to get him any cheaper. I feel they could sign Dunn somwhere around the $70-80 million range at 5 years.

I voted to sign him. I have changed my opinion on Dunn as far as keeping him. I was wanting to trade him for a quality outfielder that could hit for average or another top pitcher.

When I had said that I wasn't aware of some of the things that Dunn was dealing with personally. I understand through someone that I really trust his info that those have worked out and now his play is showing it. I still feel that he is a horrible outfielder and has a tendency to "loaf" at times but then Dunn get on one of his tears with the bat like he is on now then he really "gits - r - Dunn".

So, I guess that I have pulled a J. Kerry move.......I voted against him before I voted for him. (LOL)

Let's keep the "Dunner".

Really? That is a very minimal raise for him.

You've got to realize this is the first year that Dunn is making 13 million. He has averaged just under 9 million per year the last 4 years. He says he likes it in Cincinnati, I think he feels the ball team is heading in the right direction, and I'm sure he would feel that is a very good deal for him.

After the long debate on the Dunn thread (which was a very good one) I have not changed my mind that he is not worth 14 or 15 million, wrapping that much up in any one player besides an A-Rod or Pitcher like Santana is not smart IMO. But I think if we can get him for 9 to 11 million a year, jump on it.

The Reds last winning season was 2000. Guess what year Dunn joined the Reds? 2001. Going on 8 years of prodigious numbers. Going on 8 years of losing. You Dunn backers happy with the record during Dunn's tenure here? One poll option should be : pay him whatever it takes, we don't care if the Reds lose EVERY year. Go ahead and tell me it's not his fault. If he gets 20% of the payroll, who's fault is it?

Edited by malachicrunch

The Reds last winning season was 2000. Guess what year Dunn joined the Reds? 2001. Going on 8 years of prodigious numbers. Going on 8 years of losing. You Dunn backers happy with the record during Dunn's tenure here? One poll option should be : pay him whatever it takes, we don't care if the Reds lose EVERY year. Go ahead and tell me it's not his fault. If he gets 20% of the payroll, who's fault is it?

Do you think it's all Dunn's fault the reds havent won while he's been here? Do you think he likes losing? In order to win at the Major League level you need quality pitching. The reds are finally getting some quality pitching at the Major League level but it is still young. You have to give it time to develop in order to see results. Beginning next year you can judge based on win's and losses. Then Volquez and Cueto will both have a years experience to go along with Harang and Arroyo as quality pitchers. The hitting will be fine, pitching wins championships.