Kansas May Have Played With Ineligible Player

Wireman

Report claims Arthur's grades altered in high school

DALLAS -- Officials are investigating whether Kansas basketball star Darrell Arthur was eligible to play in high school, which could affect whether he should have ever played for the national champion Jayhawks, according to a television report.

South Oak Cliff High School in Dallas, which already has forfeited its 2006 title because of improperly altered grades for another player, is investigating whether Arthur's grades also were improperly altered, WFAA-TV in Dallas-Fort Worth reported.

The 6-foot-9 Kansas sophomore was second on the NCAA champion Jayhawks in scoring at 12.8 points a game and second in rebounding. He has applied for early entry into the NBA draft.

The station said the NCAA told its reporter that if a player is found to be ineligible, his college team might have to forfeit any or all games involving that student.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3399372

I saw this earlier and I dont think it is fair to punish Kansas for anything. If it turns out to be true, they thought the grades were correct. I see no reason for punishing KU for being scammed.

Very tough situation. If the NCAA cleared him, it will be difficult to penalize Kansas.

Very tough situation. If the NCAA cleared him, it will be difficult to penalize Kansas.

Well it couldn't be the fault of the NCAA. :lol:

It kind of reminds me of the old (though slanted) comment about UK. "I heard that UK was caught with recruiting violations. The NCAA slapped a 2 year probabtion on Cleveland State for it." :D

(the preceeding was not an attempt at bashing UK but merely showing how crazy the NCAA can be about who to punish and how much.)

After reading the story , it sounds to me like the NCAA, the high school and Arthur should be the ones in trouble. Kansas is probably the only innocent party involved.

Arthur couldn't pass a high school math class, but maintained his eligibility at KU for two years?

He may not have taken any math courses while at Kansas.............or tutoring could have made a big difference as well.