Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pat Summitt

Featured Replies

I think the most impressive thing about Summit is the length of her success.

 

84 - Runner up

87 - Title

89 - Title

91 - Title

95 - Runner up

96 - Title

97 - Title

98 - Title

00 - Runner up

03 - Runner up

04 - Runner up

07 - Title

08 - Title

 

If I'm doing it right, that means that EVERY recruiting class she's had since 1980 has made it the final game. Nearly 3 decades.

  • Replies 44
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure how accurate it is, but it seems like I heard the other day that she has made something like 27 straight Sweet 16's. :eek:

 

That is correct. This was the 27th Woman's NCAA Tournament. Tennesee has been to at least the Sweet 16 in every one. They have made it to the Final Four 17 times, been runner up 5 times, and National Champs 8 times. Pretty impressive.

 

And to think, we could have had her.:confused:

I think although she coaches womens basketball she is probably one of the best Coaches to ever coach basketball period.

 

I agree with you on this, Pat Summit almost single handed has brought Women's basketball to the level that they enjoy now.

Pat Summit is the one name that I think of when it comes to the mention of Womens basketball. Just like some of the first things that I think of at the mention of NCAA Mens basketball are A. Rupp, J. Wooden, B. Knight and Pat Summit's name imo belongs in with those three as "best ever". JMO

She's a great coach, and even greater recruiter, no doubt about that.

Many coaches in men's and women's basketball have had the talent, but still couldn't win when it counted (Guy Lewis is a good example). Summitt gets the thoroughbreds, and wins, wins, wins.

 

However, I'm not sure it's good for women's basketball for just a few schools, namely Tennessee and UConn, to dominate year in and year out. IMO UCLA almost destroyed the men's game when that happened in the '60s and early '70s.

Like comparing college football to NFL IMO. Not saying one is better than the other, but they are just completely different.

 

That sums it up for me, Pat is a great coach, her accomplishments might not even be truly appreciated til after she is finished coaching. But comparing the accomplishments of the women's game to the men's is like apples and oranges, not fair to anyone involved.

However, I'm not sure it's good for women's basketball for just a few schools, namely Tennessee and UConn, to dominate year in and year out. IMO UCLA almost destroyed the men's game when that happened in the '60s and early '70s.

 

I think because of the UT and UCONN domination over recent years, the girls game has actually gotten better. There are so many more solid women's progams now then there was 10 years ago.

This will be an interesting year in Women's SEC basketball. UT sends all 5 starters to the WNBA, and LSU graduates 9. I'm sure Pat will still have a very good team. But this is a good opportunity for someone else to rise up.

I posted a thread a couple of years ago about all-time greatest coaches.I list Wooden first, but Pat is right up there among the best, regardless of gender.

Both are great coaches. He's the best in men's and she's the best in women's.

  • Author
Both are great coaches. He's the best in men's and she's the best in women's.

 

IMO she is the best of both worlds.

I think Pat Summit is the best coach out of both men and women's basketball. Wooden's success was a long time ago, and there has also been rumors that his players were paid to come to UCLA. There hasn't been any speculation of mischievous behavior in the Tennessee women's program.

I think she could coach men's. She has earned respect. The boys would respect her for her success. I think that she could be a successful mens coach, but will never leave the greatest girls basketball program in the country.

Summitt would never make it coaching men's.

Summitt would never make it coaching men's.

 

Any reason you say that, or just your opinion?

Any reason you say that, or just your opinion?

 

She's a great coach, don't get me wrong. One of the greatest of all time. I'm sure she could coach men, but she would struggle in recruiting and commanding attention of guys.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.