Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pat Summitt

Featured Replies

She's a great coach, don't get me wrong. One of the greatest of all time. I'm sure she could coach men, but she would struggle in recruiting and commanding attention of guys.

 

I dont know about the commanding attention as much. If she gets them there, then they are ready to go to bat for her. It's the getting there that could be the issue. Not too many guys would be ready to play for a woman at that level.

  • Replies 44
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing they both had in common was complete domination in recruiting during their runs.

And yet hasn't Wooden said that he prefers women's basketaball because it more clearly resembles the game he coached?

 

I think he was referring to illegal recruiting.

Not quite. Summitt is a great coach, but she garnered alot of attention and a lot of wins while Women's basketball was still an up and coming sport.

I think because of the UT and UCONN domination over recent years, the girls game has actually gotten better. There are so many more solid women's progams now then there was 10 years ago.

Maybe.

But I still don't think it is good for the game for just a few programs to dominate.

I, and most fans, got sick of UCLA when they dominated the men's game, and it didn't change until they lost that dominance. It all changed in 1979 with the Larry Bird-Magic Johnson final. It's been great ever since.

Great coach but imo she could never coach men. I can't see 18 and 19 year olds wanting to play for a female.

Great coach but imo she could never coach men. I can't see 18 and 19 year olds wanting to play for a female.

 

The big problem, as I see it, is that most 18 and 19 COULDN'T play for her. These kids are so used to be pampered, one scowl from Coach Summit would have them running back to their AAU coach/handler needing to have their ego stroked.

 

If they could get through the pre-season and prove that they "want" to play for her...I would say the sky would be the limit for a Summit-coached team.

The big problem, as I see it, is that most 18 and 19 COULDN'T play for her. These kids are so used to be pampered, one scowl from Coach Summit would have them running back to their AAU coach/handler needing to have their ego stroked.

 

If they could get through the pre-season and prove that they "want" to play for her...I would say the sky would be the limit for a Summit-coached team.

 

Let's face it, if you were playing for a woman who was barking at you, would you take her serious. If being honest, most would tell her to know her role, get back in the kitchen, and make a sandwich.

Let's face it, if you were playing for a woman who was barking at you, would you take her serious. If being honest, most would tell her to know her role, get back in the kitchen, and make a sandwich.

 

Classy post!!

Let's face it, if you were playing for a woman who was barking at you, would you take her serious. If being honest, most would tell her to know her role, get back in the kitchen, and make a sandwich.

 

PHS makes around $1.5-2 million per I believe. I pretty sure she is confidant of where her role is. If a guy playing for her said that he would be the one headed to the kitchen, his mamma's because that is all he would have left.

PHS makes around $1.5-2 million per I believe. I pretty sure she is confidant of where her role is. If a guy playing for her said that he would be the one headed to the kitchen, his mamma's because that is all he would have left.

 

He would be "headed for the kitchen" is one way to put it. :p

I am like you in that I believe that Summit is very confident of her coaching abilities, I also feel confident in saying that she has forgotten more basketball than a lot of the mens coaches (and 99.9% of bgp posters) will ever know.

I do think that any player that would say that to her that the kitchen just may not be his first stop, more like the mop close or the toilet.......:D

Hey, Coach Pat, great practice...by the way, here's my laundry...

This will be an interesting year in Women's SEC basketball. UT sends all 5 starters to the WNBA, and LSU graduates 9. I'm sure Pat will still have a very good team. But this is a good opportunity for someone else to rise up.

 

Not so sure about this. UT signed 5 McDonalds all americans in this years recruiting class. If you want to know more why she is successful read one of her early books, "Reach for the Summitt." This Lady is a fierce competitor!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.