Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If Mackey ends up playing basketball for UK

Reaction to Mackey 64 members have voted

  1. 1. Reaction to Mackey

    • Glad he was given a 2nd chance
      46%
      30
    • Yes!!!!
      7%
      5
    • Mad
      6%
      4
    • Disappointed
      39%
      25

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

  • Author
:thumb:
Hes still on the team?

 

I don't get the difference, sorry.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not understand the specifics of the criminal side of it, or how that pertains to receiving a scholarship or being a walk-on, etc.

 

While it may be a little uneasy accepting this kid, for the sake of him, someone needs to (whether it is through basketball or not). If it is UK, then so be it. If it is not a distraction and he is able to turn around his LIFE because of it, I am all for it, I guess.

 

I do have a soft spot for most and feel sorry, even for criminals a lot of the time.

Hes still on the team?

 

I don't get the difference, sorry.

The only difference is that people would be a lot more receptive taking this kid knowing his rope is as short as they come.
What's the difference?

 

The difference for me is that I feel he deserves a 2nd chance, just not to the expense of another players shot at a scholly. The idea of a free education going to him turns me the wrong way. I will actually be more than angry if he received a scholly. Let him prove himself and see if he can handle the walk-on role and be effective on court as well as off. If not then simply show him the door. Even 1 minor slip up would be his last IMO.

  • Author
The only difference is that people would be a lot more receptive taking this kid knowing his rope is as short as they come.

In other words, it wouldn't make UK look as bad if they just take him as a walk on?

In other words, it wouldn't make UK look as bad if they just take him as a walk on?

 

It isn't UK's image I think that worries us UK fans, because no one will care what a kid did in his past if he is learning, growing and developing into a mature adult which would happen if he stayed 4 years at UK.

  • Author
It isn't UK's image I think that worries us UK fans, because no one will care what a kid did in his past if he is learning, growing and developing into a mature adult which would happen if he stayed 4 years at UK.

So do you really think if he is a walk on for one year he won't be offered after that? And if that's the case what's the difference? As a walk on he's still taking a scholarship players spot b/c he's gonna play.

I would be extremely disappointed.

I'm talking about FREE EDUCATION, not playing time. If he as a walk-on is better than a scholarship player then so be it. I just don't like the idea of him receiving full tuition. I don't know if he would offered after one year or not, but I still wouldn't like it, but would welcome him on a walk-on basis. The reason we are not seeing eye to eye on this is because you are strictly thinking about taking someone's spot on the floor. I could care less about that if he is good enough to so.

  • Author
I'm talking about FREE EDUCATION, not playing time. If he as a walk-on is better than a scholarship player then so be it. I just don't like the idea of him receiving full tuition. I don't know if he would offered after one year or not, but I still wouldn't like it, but would welcome him on a walk-on basis. The reason we are not seeing eye to eye on this is because you are strictly thinking about taking someone's spot on the floor. I could care less about that if he is good enough to so.

Ok.

I would be extremely disappointed.

Just playing devil's advocate here... Should he ever be allowed to play college basketball?

Just playing devil's advocate here... Should he ever be allowed to play college basketball?

 

 

Sure, but I think he needs to get his life straightened out first, and pay for his past transgressions. I have heard, or seen nothing that shows me he has done either.

I can't see him walking on anywhere. He might of been the best player in the state this year, and yes that includes Miller, Hopson and Mack. I have seen all of them numerous times. Mackey is a gamer. The kid threw Scott County on his back and won the championship last year. Something the other three big prospects have not done.

I'm all for giving kids a second chance. However, UK doesn't need to be the one to do it in this case. While if he stays out of trouble I know he'd be a big help a program of UK's stature does not need to be taking these kind of chances--even if it means a hit in the W/L column.

As I have said in the other thread, I have also heard that he has spoken with the staff about walk on status only. In addition, it is VERY conditional. Obviously some things have to happen with the charges against him. If he gets past all that okay and things work out for him to walk on then he will be on a very short leash. Even shorter than Dusty Mills. :lol:

 

This is all really a non issue as of right now anyway because as I said, there is a progression of things that must happen for things to even get in the early stages.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.