Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Garrard County Position

Featured Replies

The Garrard County position is still not filled, lets start another one with the hope that someone will have some insight to share.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Just heard that interviews have been set for the weekend of March 1. Don't know who, but it is being rumored that there are some interviews with experienced head coaches as well as a couple of assistants.

Will Sam Burke come back? :D

  • Author

Who is Sam Burke?

What about Brian Brannock at Danville. He has been over there for a while.

Who is Sam Burke?

 

Head Coach of the Golden Lions from around 1976 to 1983 or so.

 

He coached arguably the best back in Garrard history, Wilbur Dunn.

 

Was Boyle assistant for a couple of years under Rall and succeeded Ed for one year right before Griggs at Boyle.

 

He was a Danville grad and played football at Georgia Tech under Bobby Dodd.

Head Coach of the Golden Lions from around 1976 to 1983 or so.

 

He coached arguably the best back in Garrard history, Wilbur Dunn.

 

Was Boyle assistant for a couple of years under Rall and succeeded Ed for one year right before Griggs at Boyle.

 

He was a Danville grad and played football at Georgia Tech under Bobby Dodd.

 

Sam Burke was also a member of the Ads first state title team in 1962.

 

Saturday night, I got to visit with Jeff Hester, one of Coach Burke's Golden Lions from the early 80's. Jeff was in town visiting family and watching the Mason-Elliott basketball game.

 

Jeff and I were opposing captains for the 82 opener, Garrard versus Mercer. I still have the picture of the coin toss- we both had a lot more hair back then. :laugh:

 

On that Friday night, we were both in the backfield. I think sometimes Jeff was in ours as well as the Garrard backfield.

 

Now, we both have gained enough weight that you could line us up at left tackle and left guard and run behind us all night for some good gains. :sssh:

 

OK Hatz- tell us a good story and get us back on track with your pick for the next coach at Garrard! :thumb:

I haven't heard around Danville of any Admiral assistant coaches being considered except Perry..

Sam Burke was also a member of the Ads first state title team in 1962.

 

Saturday night, I got to visit with Jeff Hester, one of Coach Burke's Golden Lions from the early 80's. Jeff was in town visiting family and watching the Mason-Elliott basketball game.

 

Jeff and I were opposing captains for the 82 opener, Garrard versus Mercer. I still have the picture of the coin toss- we both had a lot more hair back then. :laugh:

 

On that Friday night, we were both in the backfield. I think sometimes Jeff was in ours as well as the Garrard backfield.

 

Now, we both have gained enough weight that you could line us up at left tackle and left guard and run behind us all night for some good gains. :sssh:

 

OK Hatz- tell us a good story and get us back on track with your pick for the next coach at Garrard! :thumb:

 

 

I really don't know who the Lions might end up with. I hope it is someone that will make the program take off again.

 

One Sam Burke story I recall was watching him workout Boyle the year he was the coach. One slow back for the Rebels was running out of the eye and practicing a counter play. The kid kept "rounding" off his step from one direction to the next instead of planting and making a sharp cut against the grain. Burke said, "Son, you're going to work for the Highway crews someday because all you can build is 'on ramps', I need you to cut, not build a loop."

  • Author

Could be that an assistant from Hover High has applied!?

The rampant speculation is betting to get annoying. In speaking with the administration at Garrard, I've heard that they have a good number of applications. Some are head coaches wanting a change of scenery and some are assistant coaches wanting their first shot. I have no names and don't profess to. But there are good candidates in the pool at Garrard. I look for us to know something by the end of next week.

Want candidates do you know of?? Haven't heard of anyone that would do a good job other than coaches who have taken other jobs or removed theirselves from the running.

  • Author

gchs_uk9 is right about the speculation being out of control, but that is because there is no solid information out there about the direction the school is going. Roy Munson is correct too. The only names that have circulated that were proven winners are no longer in the speculation. Perhaps gchs_uk9's conversation with the admin is good enough for now, but it would sure be nice to know some names.

I really don't know who the Lions might end up with. I hope it is someone that will make the program take off again.

 

One Sam Burke story I recall was watching him workout Boyle the year he was the coach. One slow back for the Rebels was running out of the eye and practicing a counter play. The kid kept "rounding" off his step from one direction to the next instead of planting and making a sharp cut against the grain. Burke said, "Son, you're going to work for the Highway crews someday because all you can build is 'on ramps', I need you to cut, not build a loop."

 

 

A year or two out of high school, I was watching a freshman or JV game and Sam Burke was coaching the Boyle County team. The referees didn't show up so a few of us "has beens" were drafted to be the game officials.

 

At one point, Sam Burke said to me, "Son, this may be a game to you but we are serious about it."

 

My fellow officials and I were in over our heads and everybody knew it. I could only laugh and tell him I was sorry if it was as bad as he thought it was.

A year or two out of high school, I was watching a freshman or JV game and Sam Burke was coaching the Boyle County team. The referees didn't show up so a few of us "has beens" were drafted to be the game officials.

 

At one point, Sam Burke said to me, "Son, this may be a game to you but we are serious about it."

 

My fellow officials and I were in over our heads and everybody knew it. I could only laugh and tell him I was sorry if it was as bad as he thought it was.

 

Sounds like him. ;)

 

And don't mention the Bakery too him, he really goes off then. :lol:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.