Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hatred for Paulus?

Featured Replies

I've always wondered why there was so much hatred for Greg Paulus of Duke and Hammertime brought it up in the update thread.

 

So what gives besides the fact he's the point guard at Duke?

 

He gets it at every place they go on the road, especially in the ACC. Even players in the games talk trash and take physical shots at him during the games..Everybody I know hates Paulus more than anybody on Duke.

 

I just don't get it because he plays the game SO hard(he has to because he lacks the athleticism). He takes all the criticism having to run the point guard at Duke. He steps up in the pressure and always has the ball in his hands when it counts and tries to make the play.

 

So what gives..why does everybody hate Greg Paulus?:jump:

  • Replies 52
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont like his name either

I don't like him

 

 

I do like how hard he plays though. Hes had a great season. I thought he was really overrated last season. Hes a great player to have when he is surrounded by other good players. What I like about him is hes a competitor and will battle you for every inch. Although last year aginst VMI, he just simply couldn't guard their PG.

If you told me I had to pick a team but I could not know what sport my team would be playing, Paulus is an early pick for me. It doesn't matter the sport - every day and twice on Sunday.

He is the PG for Duke

 

No matter who you are or what you do if you are the PG for Duke you are going to be hated by everyone.

Kind of funny how Duke, who was the feelgood story of 1978, and were the choirboys that upset big bad UNLV some years later, eventually morphed into the bully of the neighborhood.

 

There are several reasons for this, some more valid than others. But the biggest reason for a lot of folks around here is that they had the audacity to beat UK in a high profile game; a mortal rather than a venial sin.

I am not denying the kid does not play hard, but of all that have come through college basketball, I really dislike Greg Paulus enough to crack my top 5 dislike list.

 

He is the master of the cheap shot and then trying to act innocent. I cannot remember the exact game or situation, but I believe it was against Boston College his Freshman year when on the sidelines he pulled down or swung at one of the B.C. kids on the court after attempting a 3 pointer or going out of bounds. Anyone with a bit of sense could tell it was deliberate despite him playing it off as innocent. He is a little too overdramatic for me.. I can only handle so much slapping the floor in honor of Wojo.

The kid plays hard and gives it his all. But, it's like J.J. Everywhere he went he was hated on. A game at Maryland a sign read, "I'm going to name my kid J.J. and beat him everyday." A little over the top but still hated by many fans on the road. I'm not a Duke fan, but I do like to watch them play because they play so hard, and play as one unit. BUt, I do remember the cheap shot at B.C. and I think it was a game this year he was on the floor for a jump ball and he kicked the other player.

The kid plays hard and gives it his all. But, it's like J.J. Everywhere he went he was hated on. A game at Maryland a sign read, "I'm going to name my kid J.J. and beat him everyday." A little over the top but still hated by many fans on the road. I'm not a Duke fan, but I do like to watch them play because they play so hard, and play as one unit. BUt, I do remember the cheap shot at B.C. and I think it was a game this year he was on the floor for a jump ball and he kicked the other player.

 

I forgot about that one, it was just a few weeks ago.

 

J.J. received a lot of unwarranted ridicule just because he was great on the court. While it is not necessarily deserved, Paulus' bashing is a little more understandable, imo.

Because of his at times "punkish" behavior.

  • Author

What most people are calling his "punkish" behavior is kind of what I like most about him. He doesn't ever start anything, most of the the time he retailiates. Like the incident with Va Tech, there was a punch thrown on him and THEN he retailiated. He doesn't get intimidated by the acts of the other players. In last nights game he got pinned by a big man and was being posted on. He made a smart play and fouled the guy shooting instead of letting him have the open shot. That guy got upset because he felt that it was a hard foul, got mad and stared Paulus down, and acted like he was going to do something,when it all truth he was just stopping the player from making the basket. Paulus didn't react at all, just took it to heart and from there on he hit atleast 5 three's and had over 20 points. I just think he brings the leadership and fire that is needed to be tough, especially on the road...and he gets the punk cred that most associate with him.

What most people are calling his "punkish" behavior is kind of what I like most about him. He doesn't ever start anything, most of the the time he retailiates. Like the incident with Va Tech, there was a punch thrown on him and THEN he retailiated. He doesn't get intimidated by the acts of the other players.

 

So if something occurs and he retailiates (by kicking someone, in this instance), it is alright?

 

I am not finding it a coincidence there have been a few of these retaliation type plays from Paulus through his career.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.