Rupp Arena

MoreheadEagle

Today I made my annual trek to Rupp Arena and for the third straight year it was for the USC game. While the game was great, I marvel each year at how much Rupp Arena sucks! I love the Cats but the arena is a dump when compared to other universities I've been to. It's no wonder why UK had some trouble recruiting before the practice facility was built. Now the city and university need to build a new arena.

The concourses are too small, the upper deck is horrible, the pine cone at center court needs to be a nice scoreboard instead, and overall there are too many blue-hairs in the lower bowl that could and would pay for box seats. I love UK but Ohio State, UVA, Xavier, and UNC all have Rupp Arena beat.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I made my annual trek to Rupp Arena and for the third straight year it was for the USC game. While the game was great, I marvel each year at how much Rupp Arena sucks! I love the Cats but the arena is a dump when compared to other universities I've been to. It's no wonder why UK had some trouble recruiting before the practice facility was built. Now the city and university need to build a new arena.

The concourses are too small, the upper deck is horrible, the pine cone at center court needs to be a nice scoreboard instead, and overall there are too many blue-hairs in the lower bowl that could and would pay for box seats. I love UK but Ohio State, UVA, Xavier, and UNC all have Rupp Arena beat.

I'm going to have to disagree with the Xavier comment. I've been up to XU a few times, and I hate their arena. I hate the horseshoe layout. The concourses are small at Rupp, but I didn't really find that to be an issue. The bench seats up top are very, very tight, which are somewhat uncomfortable. However, I like the 'feel' of being in Rupp than at Xavier. You just feel the tradition when you walk into that place.

I will agree with you though, that the student section needs to move to the side, and it needs to be bigger.

If there is a new gym built, se need to move the boosters to the endzones and box seats, and maybe even just 1 side of the court. Put the students on the other side of the court, surround it like Duke, and make it tough. I hate that the fans that cheer constantly are in the endzone and can't make a difference in the sound.

You will never see a student section at a home UK game like Duke. The reason is that even if they were to move them to the side, the arena will be much larger than that of Cameron Indoor. This creates a lot more space and thus less as intense. It would be more rowdy than it currently is but you won't see the same type of effects as Duke gets. Also, the boosters wouldn't be too fond of the idea.

I've been to Rupp 5 times in the past 2 seasons. The atmosphere is incredible, but for someone like myself with bad legs, it is a challenge to say the least. Since I can't bend my leg enough to sit normally I have to keep my foot between the people in front of me. Thankfully I've never had anyone complain, but I'm sure they were muttering bad things at my foot. At the game yesterday the lady in front of me was very nice about it though.

IMO Rupp is just getting older. The buiding has been around and it is time for a new facility, but Rupp isn't a bad facility. As far as the cheering section goes there are no way we can get the noise level unless everyone in the building stands up and hollers.

I would like to see the student section cut into half and spread the half around the floor so they can be close to the floor , that would bring the atmosphere up a notch in Rupp at gametime.

Actually at Duke the crazies section looks bigger than what it is. It's about five rows on one side. Hopefully a new arena in LEX will be built in the next 10 years. Rupp is awful for anything other than basketball and even for that it's not very good.

Much of the attraction to Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium is the fact that the it is quaint and the students sit right on the floor.

Are you suggesting this new arena you are asking for UK to have built seats 9000 people like Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium?