Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Elliott Co. 103 West Carter 57

Featured Replies

Yes, Mason County should have plenty of Subs. They are a school I would guess about 2000 or 3000. Elliott County has 300 students. Like I said we could dip down to our Elementary schools or just let the girls team join forces with our boy's team. Our younger players are playing. Elliott's bench consists of 2 seniors, I believe a junior and 2 freshman. We start 4 juniors and a freshman. Who would you like them to play?

 

I know nothing of Elliot County, I was just saying that a lot of teams can make the statement that they are playing their starters late in the game to prepare them for post-season play, I don't think I said anything about Elliot County. I heard that they had 11 players, 3 that don't get to play like.. at all. Play them.

 

And way to make a person feel like they are a complete idiot.

  • Replies 79
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing of Elliot County, I was just saying that a lot of teams can make the statement that they are playing their starters late in the game to prepare them for post-season play, I don't think I said anything about Elliot County. I heard that they had 11 players, 3 that don't get to play like.. at all. Play them.

 

And way to make a person feel like they are a complete idiot.[/quote

 

 

I am not trying to make anyone feel like an idiot. I understand what you are saying, that they should play their young players and develop a future. But they are playing their young players. They just don't have enough players to play. Against, West they played their bench alot. Also, they just added another player to their team. They have only had 10 players for the majority of the season.

Well perhaps, since Elliott County is already looking so far into the future that they are pencilling themselves into the state tournament, they should look a little farther to when the Faulkners and Ferguson graduate next year, and the only player on the team with any game experience in varstiy is Timmy Knipp.

Hammer, Go Radio, Shooterx3, you guys are wasting your typing finger's. You could have solid proof that Coach Mays has a legit reason for playing his starters most of the game, or that he is not intentionally running up the score, or that the second five couldn't hold the lead, or that blah blah blah blah, but it wouldn't matter. Some people cannot accept the fact that after years of being bottom tier Elliott is finally at the top. Only when Elliott lose the"big game" or this team move's on and they are the one's once again giving the 30-40 point thrashings only then will they be satisfied and you will never again hear a complaint of anyone running up the score. The little guy isn't supposed to win the race.

Haven't you guy's figured that out yet.

Well perhaps, since Elliott County is already looking so far into the future that they are pencilling themselves into the state tournament, they should look a little farther to when the Faulkners and Ferguson graduate next year, and the only player on the team with any game experience in varstiy is Timmy Knipp.

 

They wont have to look ahead. They have already experienced years of getting whipped royally! This team hasn't been around long enough for everyone to forget the thrashings they had been accustomed too. I never heard one person from Elliott complain about anyone" running it up " then

either.

BBall, I'm a West Carter supporter so I have no problem with the little guy being on top. It doesn't matter who it is, whether it was a small 1A school or a huge 6A school. It has nothing to do with Elliott County as a school, who cares about that. If my team isn't going to be the best in the region, i'd rather a tiny little school such as Elliott, Fairview or Raceland to be able to win the crown. The EC players work as hard as any and deserve to be the top team in the region, no one is trying to take anything away from them. I don't rember anytime in the last few years when West or (insert 1,2,or3A school from the 16th region) was thrashing another team in the area by 40 points outside of Rose Hill's glory years. Rose Hill couldn't keep from it as their JV team would have been a top 4 team in the region, but OJ, Dawson and company weren't in at the end of the game when the Royals were ahead by 40. They had the same goals and aspirations as this Elliott County team, somehow they didn't have to leave the starters in for fear that their 45 point lead might shrink to 35.

I can remember Elliott getting hammered by 30-40 not just in the O.J era but a little before that in my day. Rowan, East Carter, Russell, Ashland, Boyd, Breck, etc. all gave it to them. I also remember guys like Magrane, Pemberton, Daughtery,etc. still being in sometimes in the 4th. Whether it was to retain the lead, work on a special skill, or just for the coach's enjoyment, who cares. I don't remember anyone complaining or whining then. It doesn't take 2-3 minutes to score 20 -30 pts this day and time(dont believe it ask East Carter girls coach) and evaporate a 30 point lead. Elliott's sub's without a couple starters "cannot" hold the lead! Also when Elliott plays a really good team their starters are going to have to probably play the whole game if they want to compete or win. Why would you only have them used to playing 1/2 a game. My kid is a veteran b-ball player and he says that you can run everyday in practice and it doen't keep you in "game shape". Only playing will keep you game ready. Course I am sure everyone would like for Elliott players to only be used to playing 1/2 the game then when they get in a tight one and wasn't used to playing 3 1/2-4 quarters they would fail. I have posted a couple pretty good reason's that Coach Mays might be doing what he is doing but I know they will not be accepted because " seeing they shall not see, and reading they shall not understand".

I can remember Elliott getting hammered by 30-40 not just in the O.J era but a little before that in my day. Rowan, East Carter, Russell, Ashland, Boyd, Breck, etc. all gave it to them. I also remember guys like Magrane, Pemberton, Daughtery,etc. still being in sometimes in the 4th. Whether it was to retain the lead, work on a special skill, or just for the coach's enjoyment, who cares. I don't remember anyone complaining or whining then. It doesn't take 2-3 minutes to score 20 -30 pts this day and time(dont believe it ask East Carter girls coach) and evaporate a 30 point lead. Elliott's sub's without a couple starters "cannot" hold the lead! Also when Elliott plays a really good team their starters are going to have to probably play the whole game if they want to compete or win. Why would you only have them used to playing 1/2 a game. My kid is a veteran b-ball player and he says that you can run everyday in practice and it doen't keep you in "game shape". Only playing will keep you game ready. Course I am sure everyone would like for Elliott players to only be used to playing 1/2 the game then when they get in a tight one and wasn't used to playing 3 1/2-4 quarters they would fail. I have posted a couple pretty good reason's that Coach Mays might be doing what he is doing but I know they will not be accepted because " seeing they shall not see, and reading they shall not understand".

 

So is Elliott running up the score because they got thrashed in the past, or are they keeping their starters in to prepare for the next game, or is it a little of both? WHO CARES. Elliott has great players. Enjoy them while they are here.

The key to Elliott Co., besides good athletes is they control the game. I believe at this level very few teams, if any, are unbeatable. Devise a strategy to get yourself in the game and play your best. If you do that the score doesn’t matter.

Its a little bit different for Class A schools :thumb:

 

40+ points is 40+pts...........no matter what level or class against the other.

The key to the Elliott County game is intensity. They know no other way to play and will not be successful any other way. They must maintain that intensity and substitution often kills the chemistry of intensity.

The key to the Elliott County game is intensity. They know no other way to play and will not be successful any other way. They must maintain that intensity and substitution often kills the chemistry of intensity.

 

They must remain intense to win by 40 + pts.......?

 

Why not take it down to a 20 pt win and let the bench get some QUALITY minutes ? If things get a little tight, put the big boys back in to finish the job.

 

The bottom line is,they deserve it.

I am sure they get beat down in practice, as do most non-starters and JV.

Its a huge disrespect to them. Not to mention a dis-service to the program itself.

They must remain intense to win by 40 + pts.......?

 

Why not take it down to a 20 pt win and let the bench get some QUALITY minutes ? If things get a little tight, put the big boys back in to finish the job.

 

The bottom line is,they deserve it.

I am sure they get beat down in practice, as do most non-starters and JV.

Its a huge disrespect to them. Not to mention a dis-service to the program itself.

 

Your picture says a lot. Elliott is a great team, deal with it. There is no disrespect to the younger players. They play a ton in the JV games. I suppose the varsity players only deserve 16 minutes a game. They shouldn't get to play any more. These types of comments have been too much, Elliott's starters have worked hard for years and deserve to play. Quit bashing Elliott because they are doing well. And quit bashing the coaching staff for playing players that deserve to play. I suppose it was all good until Elliott started winning. If you know much about basketball, then you will enjoy watching Elliott play. They play hard and are a joy to watch.

Your picture says a lot. Elliott is a great team, deal with it. There is no disrespect to the younger players. They play a ton in the JV games. I suppose the varsity players only deserve 16 minutes a game. They shouldn't get to play any more. These types of comments have been too much, Elliott's starters have worked hard for years and deserve to play. Quit bashing Elliott because they are doing well. And quit bashing the coaching staff for playing players that deserve to play. I suppose it was all good until Elliott started winning. If you know much about basketball, then you will enjoy watching Elliott play. They play hard and are a joy to watch.

 

I couldn't agree with you more and I'll also add that I don't recall anyone standing up and to complain during the years when Elliott County was being beaten by 30 plus points a game, not even the Lion fans. Basketball is a competition and if you lose and don't like the outcome of the game then the answer is to work towards improving your team not to complain because you were beaten so badly. For those who think that Elliott County's starters play too much then I say develop a game plan to get the Elliott County starters into foul trouble and if your team is not good enough to do that, then work hard to make a better team. We have a right to our opinions but the coaching decisions are by definition the sole responsibility of the Coach. The Elliott County boys have worked hard to get where they are and deserve their 15 minutes of fame. To the boys of Elliott County I say congratulations, good luck on the rest of your season and I hope that you reap the rewards of all your hard work! I've had my say and I will make no further comment on playing time.

Your picture says a lot. Elliott is a great team, deal with it. There is no disrespect to the younger players. They play a ton in the JV games. I suppose the varsity players only deserve 16 minutes a game. They shouldn't get to play any more. These types of comments have been too much, Elliott's starters have worked hard for years and deserve to play. Quit bashing Elliott because they are doing well. And quit bashing the coaching staff for playing players that deserve to play. I suppose it was all good until Elliott started winning. If you know much about basketball, then you will enjoy watching Elliott play. They play hard and are a joy to watch.

 

The fact that you commented on my avatar ( as if it were actually me )says a lot about you.

 

Elliot is a very good team and I have not once bashed them. I do how ever question the coaching staff and its motives...........

 

Also, a JV game doesn't compare to being on the floor in prime time.

We have all stated the reasons Mays does what he does. If it hurts people's feelings. So be it. those kids have worked their tails off to earn the right to play more than half of a game. the JV players get plenty of time in the JV games. Other teams that have not put in the time and work should not have to be made to feel better about themselves by letting the score be held down. If you want to be in the game, then work for it. Mays isn't thinking about anything but his own team, period. It should not be his problem to worry about the other teams players or fans getting their feelings hurt. My last post on this subject, period. It is really a pointless exercise.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.