Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Elliott Co. 103 West Carter 57

Featured Replies

As for the game...yuck. Elliott was on a mission, and came out hot, and stayed that way all night.

As for West, this was a complete embarrassment. West Carter was intimidated to start the game, and after Elliott raced out to a 13-4 lead, the Comets just gave up. Elliott played well, but the margin in this game was decided by the Comets. No effort tonight, no one dove on loose balls, turnovers vs. a man to man press, I would say 5 of those 16 first half turnovers came in the last minute of the half. West made little to no effort to slow the game down, dont know why, they would have to keep Elliott in the 60-70 point range to even have a chance. I will be the first to say the officals let the game get a little out of hand towards the end, luckily no one got hurt.

As others have stated in previous posts, Rick Mays needs to sub when his team is ahead by 50 points. Atleast 3 starters on the floor at one time until the final 1:30, that is crap. I dont want to hear that he has been beaten up for years and he is just getting his revenge now. When was the last time West Carter tried to embarrass Elliott? I bet you can't name one time, Neither Jim Webb, Grady Lowe, Stan McGlone, or Jeremy Webb would want to do that to anyone. With the way the game was going I would have been scared to death to have a starter in there for fear of a big injury. Just trying to get to 100 points to rub it in a little more. Elliott is too good a team to be doing this to people. Honestly though, its not the kids, its the coach, I know that just venting some frustrations.

 

You have got to be kidding. Elliott's pressure defense and shooting decided the margin. Over 60 % from the field and 22-24 from the line along with forcing 20+ turnovers will decide a lot of games. As for the subs, Mays has always played only 7-8 people his entire career, win or lose. He's done it for close to 30 years and I don't see that changing now just because he has a team that blows some teams out. He went to the 9th man last night in the first half which is unusual for him. It is also obvious that he is playing Ferguson and Timmy Knipp at the point late in these games to allow them to work on some different skills for college scouts. They deserve that opportunity. It is not done to embarrass anyone and most coaches realize that.

  • Replies 79
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Jonathan Ferguson. No one works harder or deserves it more. What a quality kid!

Congratulations to Elliott. They are very strong. I don't have any problem with one team beating another by whatever margin. I do think conventional wisdom would have a coach resting his players for a big tournament game the following night, but Mayes is not conventional. He knows his players better than anybody. Good luck against Raceland.

They don't play until Saturday

Ferg sit out most of the 2d half. It was nice honoring Ferg with the game basketball as he went over 2,000 points. If he stays healthy, he will by far go over 3,000.

 

His dad came out and got a big hug and I saw some big tears in the eyes. He is proud of that young man and well he should be. More importantly than basketball he is a great young man who acts like it is no big deal and it is clear to see HE IS LOVED!!! As an outsider attending the game last night it is nice to see the FAMILY atmosphere shared among the Elliott fans!!!

 

Congratulations FERG!!!!

 

By the way, some of the three's he hit last night were several feet behind the arc. He has some amazing range from way downtown!!!

There is a kid that played at Mason County that had that same range!!

Can't remember his name.

I think He only took 3 shots in the second half and run the Point for about 4 minutes in the 4th Quarter.

 

I have heard and seen post that Ferguson is a very unselfish player, did he just pass the ball to teammates so they could score instead of shooting himself? Was just wondering why he had 18 before the first half ended and only 5 more points the rest of the game. Looks as tho Elliott is back to their usual game. Wish them the best in the all A tournament.

That's just amazing. I have to get out, and see these young men play. How spindoc. How about a road trip?

 

Come to Maysville on Feb. 22th and watch Mason/Elliott matchup. It should be an interesting matchup. I predict a packed house and no 100 points scored by Elliott. Possibly alot of college recruiters there to watch some great talent on both sides of the floor.

We have been carrying Elliott Co for years, not on a weekly basis like we do East and West, but we have always carried the Elliott games with East and West, the All-A Tourney and a couple of other games of interest like district games when possible. Rick Mays is Rick Mays, whether he has a team that is awful or a team that is great. He has always kept his varsity players to a minimum (many times out of necessity) and has always tried to keep his big minute guys to 7 or 8, win or lose. Should he now change his ways after 27 years just because he might ruffle some feathers?

 

Yes, he is blowing teams out and some feel he should play his subs some more and yes, there are times when other coaches feel like he is exacting revenge for those "lean" years. But I honestly don't think Rick is trying to embarrass anyone. Rick is all about kids and he wouldn't do that to kids. I didn't perceive a "run it up" attitude last night. Coach Webb didn't say anything negative about Coach Mays or his players in the post game (on or off the air).

 

Rick Mays is Rick Mays, with a great team or a terrible team. He just happens to have a great team right now and I think there are a lot of jealous people out there. When a team is winning against everyone in the region, then the fans of 15 other teams tend to band together and make some strange allies against them. Remember a few years ago when Rose Hill was dominating the region? Mortal enemies were joining together to bash Mayo, Dawson and the gang.

 

With that said, while I may not agree with everything Rick does, I respect the fact that he has been in this game for 27 years and in many of those years won very few games. I also respect the fact that he has been consistent in his approach to the game for 27 years. I don't think Rick does what he does to embarrass anyone or "exact revenge." I have had the opportunity to talk to Rick quite a bit this season, he is having fun with this team. As he said in an interview earlier this season, "These boys are making my last years at Elliott Co very enjoyable....I'm having a good time."

That's just amazing. I have to get out, and see these young men play. How spindoc. How about a road trip?

How about Monday evening, Rose Hill plays the winner of Elliott and Raceland at Bath Co.. Good luck to my alma mater, but beating Elliott will be tough. I look for a RH/Elliott matchup on Monday. You in?

How about Monday evening, Rose Hill plays the winner of Elliott and Raceland at Bath Co.. Good luck to my alma mater, but beating Elliott will be tough. I look for a RH/Elliott matchup on Monday. You in?

 

 

Yes I am in. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind going to the Raceland/Elliott Co. game on Saturday.

Yes I am in. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind going to the Raceland/Elliott Co. game on Saturday.

 

If you don't make it, tune in to us, we will have it on 102.3fm and on wgohwugo.com

 

If you do make it, come up and say "HOWDY"

When you are the better team and your opponent knows it, why demoralize them? IMO this is a total lack of class on the Elliott coach. What does it prove to beat someone this badly? Playing his starters until the last few minutes is ridiculous. Hope everyone in Elliott County has a warm and fuzzy feeling after this win. Just remember, "what goes around, comes around".

 

Have just read the JBS 110 South Floyd 39 and the Corbin 85 Williamsburg 43 threads,and starters in with 3 min. left,and no one is crying and complaining about those wins. Why is some whinning about Elliott. Yes Mays did sub to the 9th player in the first half, and called off the press start of the second half otherwise the spread could have been much larger, so he did have compassion for the West Carter team. As I have stated in previous threads I am not from Elliott County, but do like to follow the team.

We have been carrying Elliott Co for years, not on a weekly basis like we do East and West, but we have always carried the Elliott games with East and West, the All-A Tourney and a couple of other games of interest like district games when possible. Rick Mays is Rick Mays, whether he has a team that is awful or a team that is great. He has always kept his varsity players to a minimum (many times out of necessity) and has always tried to keep his big minute guys to 7 or 8, win or lose. Should he now change his ways after 27 years just because he might ruffle some feathers?

 

Yes, he is blowing teams out and some feel he should play his subs some more and yes, there are times when other coaches feel like he is exacting revenge for those "lean" years. But I honestly don't think Rick is trying to embarrass anyone. Rick is all about kids and he wouldn't do that to kids. I didn't perceive a "run it up" attitude last night. Coach Webb didn't say anything negative about Coach Mays or his players in the post game (on or off the air).

 

Rick Mays is Rick Mays, with a great team or a terrible team. He just happens to have a great team right now and I think there are a lot of jealous people out there. When a team is winning against everyone in the region, then the fans of 15 other teams tend to band together and make some strange allies against them. Remember a few years ago when Rose Hill was dominating the region? Mortal enemies were joining together to bash Mayo, Dawson and the gang.

 

With that said, while I may not agree with everything Rick does, I respect the fact that he has been in this game for 27 years and in many of those years won very few games. I also respect the fact that he has been consistent in his approach to the game for 27 years. I don't think Rick does what he does to embarrass anyone or "exact revenge." I have had the opportunity to talk to Rick quite a bit this season, he is having fun with this team. As he said in an interview earlier this season, "These boys are making my last years at Elliott Co very enjoyable....I'm having a good time."

 

One of the best post's I have "ever read........Hand's down!:ylsuper:

Congratulations to Coach Mays and his boy's.

We have been carrying Elliott Co for years, not on a weekly basis like we do East and West, but we have always carried the Elliott games with East and West, the All-A Tourney and a couple of other games of interest like district games when possible. Rick Mays is Rick Mays, whether he has a team that is awful or a team that is great. He has always kept his varsity players to a minimum (many times out of necessity) and has always tried to keep his big minute guys to 7 or 8, win or lose. Should he now change his ways after 27 years just because he might ruffle some feathers?

 

Yes, he is blowing teams out and some feel he should play his subs some more and yes, there are times when other coaches feel like he is exacting revenge for those "lean" years. But I honestly don't think Rick is trying to embarrass anyone. Rick is all about kids and he wouldn't do that to kids. I didn't perceive a "run it up" attitude last night. Coach Webb didn't say anything negative about Coach Mays or his players in the post game (on or off the air).

 

Rick Mays is Rick Mays, with a great team or a terrible team. He just happens to have a great team right now and I think there are a lot of jealous people out there. When a team is winning against everyone in the region, then the fans of 15 other teams tend to band together and make some strange allies against them. Remember a few years ago when Rose Hill was dominating the region? Mortal enemies were joining together to bash Mayo, Dawson and the gang.

 

With that said, while I may not agree with everything Rick does, I respect the fact that he has been in this game for 27 years and in many of those years won very few games. I also respect the fact that he has been consistent in his approach to the game for 27 years. I don't think Rick does what he does to embarrass anyone or "exact revenge." I have had the opportunity to talk to Rick quite a bit this season, he is having fun with this team. As he said in an interview earlier this season, "These boys are making my last years at Elliott Co very enjoyable....I'm having a good time."

 

As usual, you hit the nail right on the head. He does it the same way all the time. When other teams blew his weaker teams out, he never said a word about someone running up the score. His theory is that those big minute players have earned those minutes and they are going to play those minutes. If you will recall those Mayo years, when many teams were ducking Rose Hill, Elliott County played them once or twice each season, getting pounded in some of those games and never did you hear anyone from the Elliott staff complain. He will do the way he has always done it until he retires, if he ever does. After some of those lean years he deserves to enjoy this team.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.