Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 10 Players in 9th Region

Featured Replies

I'm not speaking Chinese, so it should make some sense. If it doesn't that's on you.

 

Henderson has the luxury of taking nights off, as he did at Dixie, and his team still wins easily because he has a great cast around him. He's a great player, but if he doesn't go get every rebound it's not that big of a deal because some one else will grab it for the Bulldogs.

 

McGraw is in a similiar position with Highlands, as they have good players around him and he plays with a D-I guy at least early on, and again next week.

 

Both have had more "off" nights than Sorrell did this year against Holmes. His numbers are spectacular. How many boards and assists does either McGraw or Henderson average?

 

Maybe their teams have better records because they have a lot of really good players around them. But what do I know.

 

Henderson averages 17 ppg and 5 rpg. I'd hardly call that taking off nights. He has scored 20 points or more in 7 games and 15 or more in 9. Thats 16 games of 15 or more. For having a very good supporting cast, thats pretty legit.

 

Mcgraw scored 31 on Holmes. Sorrell had 6. Another argument that solitifies why Mcgraw is a better OVERALL player than Sorrell.

 

You can shoot all night, but if you don't play defense your team isn't going to win. Sorrell's defense has been very average. Mcgraw and Henderson are probably the two best defenders in the area.

 

Sorrell's two lowest outputs (6 & 9) have come against very athletic teams, Male and Holmes. Henderson played the same Male team and had 17 points.

 

Sorrell has put up big numbers but it's because Holy Cross has nobody else to score, so all of their plays run through him. I guarantee if he played for Highlands or Holmes, he'd average similar numbers that Mcgraw and Henderson have. Or if you put Mcgraw or Henderson on Holy Cross' team they'd put up big numbers like that too. Both have showed they can.

 

Key stat: Henderson has 53 turnovers in 27 games. Sorrell has 55 and thats in only 15 games listed on the stats page of nky.com, so I'm sure that number is higher now. So while Sorrell may be putting up bigger numbers, Henderson and Mcgraw are helping their team win more with their OVERALL game than Sorrell scoring is.

 

Also, Henderson has 131 rebounds (61 O, 70 D) as a 6' Guard. Sorrell has 153 (28 O 125 D) as a 6'4 Forward. Should be no comparison in that category. Being 6'4, I'd hope Sorrell averages more rpg than a 6' guard.

 

Once again, Corey Sorrell is a VERY GOOD player. Is he the best ALL AROUND though? No. That goes to either Henderson or Mcgraw.

  • Replies 144
  • Views 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not speaking Chinese, so it should make some sense. If it doesn't that's on you.

 

Henderson has the luxury of taking nights off, as he did at Dixie, and his team still wins easily because he has a great cast around him. He's a great player, but if he doesn't go get every rebound it's not that big of a deal because some one else will grab it for the Bulldogs.

 

McGraw is in a similiar position with Highlands, as they have good players around him and he plays with a D-I guy at least early on, and again next week.

 

Both have had more "off" nights than Sorrell did this year against Holmes. His numbers are spectacular. How many boards and assists does either McGraw or Henderson average?

 

Maybe their teams have better records because they have a lot of really good players around them. But what do I know.

 

 

Henderson has only played in a few games this year where he played more than 3 quarters. Sorrell has played the full game in probably 90 percent of HC's games.

 

One last thing... Mcgraw has been held to single digits just 3 times year and all three he didn't play a full game. Mcgraw averages 19 ppg and that has come without the help of a D1 player on the floor the majority of the season. Mcgraw has just 50 turnovers in 16 games tp Sorrell's 55 in 15 games.

 

I think I rest my case.

After seeing every team in the top 10, here's my assessment:

 

1a.) Arrez Henderson- When it comes down to it, this kid is the most complete player in the 9th region. Lockdown defense and anyone who saw the CCH or Highlands game, knows he can single handedly take over a game and turn the game around for his team. While he ONLY averages 17 a game, he is doing this with probably the best supporting cast in NKY, which solitifies the argument of him being the best player. Will be Division 1 player of the year.

 

1b.) Greg Mcgraw- Man can this kid play. Great defense, definetly up to par with Henderson's, and a prolific scorer. Best shooter I've seen. Complete game, as he can take you inside or shoot the three. Scores pretty much at will. Has battled through injuries all year and still been very impressive. Will be division II player of the year.

 

3.) Cory Sorrell- While I have only seen him 3 times this year and wasn't too impressed except against CCH, the numbers don't lie. Great scorer and is the focus of every team but needs to work on his defense. Leads nky in average points per game and rebounds which puts him here at #3. Will be division III player of the year.

 

After these three there could be an argument for a handful of players. Some that come to mind, in no particular order:

 

Simpson (Highlands)- Can't really put him in the category with the above three because he's been injured all year but when healthy, he's the second best player on HHS team behind Mcgraw.

 

R. Johnson (Holmes)- Has been a huge addition to Holmes this year and has put up some big numbers as a SOPHOMORE. Offensively he is as good as anyone in the region, (outside of the top 3). Defensively he needs to work a little, but poretty sound for only being a soph. Will most likely be the best player in his class his senior year.

 

Maile (CCH)- Very physical player and can score down low. Sound defensively and can be the best player on CCH team any given night.

 

Schmerge (CCH)- Was probably most impressed with him in the times I've seen CCH. Has a nice shot and rebounds well but needs to work on his defense.

 

Bondick (CCH)- Nice point guard, runs the offense well, but also knows how to score. Catalyst for CCH and wll be key for them in the upcoming postseason.

 

Mace (Dixie)- Best big man in nky but needs to work on his foul shooting. Can take over a game and does the little things that has helped Dixie be successful this year.

 

Avery (Holmes)- Probably the best pure point guard in the region. Great at driving and dishing but needs to work on cutting down on the mental mistakes. Holmes offense goes no where without him though.

 

There are a lot of good players in nky but these stand out the most to me from what I've seen.

 

All good players to be sure. Not sure I would agree with Schmerge and Mace being top 10. I think Earls is a better post player than Mace. McFarland is every bit as good as Maile and deserves recognition. I guess Boone must play very well as a team to have 21 victories and be ranked in the top teams in NKY and not have a top 10 player. Good thing basketball is a team sport.:D

All good players to be sure. Not sure I would agree with Schmerge and Mace being top 10. I think Earls is a better post player than Mace. McFarland is every bit as good as Maile and deserves recognition. I guess Boone must play very well as a team to have 21 victories and be ranked in the top teams in NKY and not have a top 10 player. Good thing basketball is a team sport.:D

 

I wasn't necessarily making a top 10 list. Those were just the players that came to mind when I made the post.

 

McFarland hasn't impressed me the few times I've seen him. IMO Earls is the best player on Boone's team. He is good both facing the rim and with his back to it. Earls defense is where he needs to improve though.

I wasn't necessarily making a top 10 list. Those were just the players that came to mind when I made the post.

 

McFarland hasn't impressed me the few times I've seen him. IMO Earls is the best player on Boone's team. He is good both facing the rim and with his back to it. Earls defense is where he needs to improve though.

 

Earls is having a nice year offensively. He certainly had the best game of the Boone players against Holmes. McFarland outplayed Maile head-to-head, IMO. I agree about Earls' defense. I would include shot blocking and defensive rebounding in that.

Sorrell is the best player in the 9th hands down... He scores when he wants everyone on here is trying to take it away from him because he dosent have a team behind him but we will see come district time...

One and done for HC in district. I'm sure he will get his 30 though!

Earls is having a nice year offensively. He certainly had the best game of the Boone players against Holmes. McFarland outplayed Maile head-to-head, IMO. I agree about Earls' defense. I would include shot blocking and defensive rebounding in that.

 

Earls is going to be the best big man his senior year. He kind of reminds me of a smaller Travis Rasso. If he gets taller he'll be a force. He is pretty sound offensively but like I said defensively is where he needs to improve.

 

Sorrell is the best player in the 9th hands down... He scores when he wants everyone on here is trying to take it away from him because he dosent have a team behind him but we will see come district time...

 

Sorrell will be watching the district finals and region tournament from the stands. If I'm wrong I'll be more than happy to eat crow. But your comment proved my statement right. Sorrell gets the numbers he has because he is playing on a team that looks like a JV squad ouside of Giwa. Like I said before, put him on a CCH, Holmes, or Highlands and I guarantee you he doesn't put up the same numbers.

Sorrell is the best player in the 9th hands down... He scores when he wants everyone on here is trying to take it away from him because he dosent have a team behind him but we will see come district time...

 

I guess he just didn't want to score when he played Holmes...:rolleyes:

Henderson averages 17 ppg and 5 rpg. I'd hardly call that taking off nights. He has scored 20 points or more in 7 games and 15 or more in 9. Thats 16 games of 15 or more. For having a very good supporting cast, thats pretty legit.

 

Mcgraw scored 31 on Holmes. Sorrell had 6. Another argument that solitifies why Mcgraw is a better OVERALL player than Sorrell.

 

You can shoot all night, but if you don't play defense your team isn't going to win. Sorrell's defense has been very average. Mcgraw and Henderson are probably the two best defenders in the area.

 

Sorrell's two lowest outputs (6 & 9) have come against very athletic teams, Male and Holmes. Henderson played the same Male team and had 17 points.

 

Sorrell has put up big numbers but it's because Holy Cross has nobody else to score, so all of their plays run through him. I guarantee if he played for Highlands or Holmes, he'd average similar numbers that Mcgraw and Henderson have. Or if you put Mcgraw or Henderson on Holy Cross' team they'd put up big numbers like that too. Both have showed they can.

 

Key stat: Henderson has 53 turnovers in 27 games. Sorrell has 55 and thats in only 15 games listed on the stats page of nky.com, so I'm sure that number is higher now. So while Sorrell may be putting up bigger numbers, Henderson and Mcgraw are helping their team win more with their OVERALL game than Sorrell scoring is.

 

Also, Henderson has 131 rebounds (61 O, 70 D) as a 6' Guard. Sorrell has 153 (28 O 125 D) as a 6'4 Forward. Should be no comparison in that category. Being 6'4, I'd hope Sorrell averages more rpg than a 6' guard.

 

Once again, Corey Sorrell is a VERY GOOD player. Is he the best ALL AROUND though? No. That goes to either Henderson or Mcgraw.

 

 

So, Henderson only averages about nine points and eight rebounds a night Less than Sorrell. Not too shabby, but hardly a winning stat

 

I asked how many rebounds McGraw averages, but I guess as a 6-3 guard, that's not even in the equation since you didn't mention that "key stat."

 

You contradict yourself with your stats. In one sentence you attribute Sorrell's scoring to all of the plays being run for him and his constantly touching the ball. Then, a paragraph later, you point out he has more turnovers than Henderson. You can't have it both ways. Maybe, just maybe, he has more turnovers because the ball is in his hand a lot more. :banana:

 

As for the defense, that's not even up for debate, Holmes is long and athletic as a team. Highlands is long and strong, as a team. You tell me where the Holy Cross team fits in. Defense is a team thing.

Henderson has only played in a few games this year where he played more than 3 quarters. Sorrell has played the full game in probably 90 percent of HC's games.

 

One last thing... Mcgraw has been held to single digits just 3 times year and all three he didn't play a full game. Mcgraw averages 19 ppg and that has come without the help of a D1 player on the floor the majority of the season. Mcgraw has just 50 turnovers in 16 games tp Sorrell's 55 in 15 games.

 

I think I rest my case.

 

If Henderson is all that and a bag of chips, why does he sit so much? He certainly could have stuck around a little longer against Dixie. And if he's getting so much help, then maybe he should have had plenty in reserve against NCC.

 

When does McGraw decide to stay in games, and when does he not play the full game? Does he sit down if he doesn't score enough in the first half, or how exactly does that work? How many rebounds does he average again?

 

And again with the turnovers, you keep saying Sorrell scores so much because he has to. Well, if the ball is in his hand all the time, he might turn it over once in awhile. :sleep:

I guess he just didn't want to score when he played Holmes...:rolleyes:

 

 

And I guess you wanted to be a smart guy.:rolleyes:

Earls is going to be the best big man his senior year. He kind of reminds me of a smaller Travis Rasso. If he gets taller he'll be a force. He is pretty sound offensively but like I said defensively is where he needs to improve.

 

 

 

Sorrell will be watching the district finals and region tournament from the stands. If I'm wrong I'll be more than happy to eat crow. But your comment proved my statement right. Sorrell gets the numbers he has because he is playing on a team that looks like a JV squad ouside of Giwa. Like I said before, put him on a CCH, Holmes, or Highlands and I guarantee you he doesn't put up the same numbers.

 

Remember, these are all kids and some may read this. Calling the other guys a JV squad is uncalled for IMO. Poor decision at best on your part, but about what I expected. Nice job.:rolleyes:

 

And so what if Sorrell does end up watching the regional tournament from the stands, how does that take away from what he did this year:confused:

Simpson, McGraw, and Henderson are good players, but I'll keep saying I think Sorrell is the best this year.

So, Henderson only averages about nine points and eight rebounds a night Less than Sorrell. Not too shabby, but hardly a winning stat

 

I asked how many rebounds McGraw averages, but I guess as a 6-3 guard, that's not even in the equation since you didn't mention that "key stat."

 

You contradict yourself with your stats. In one sentence you attribute Sorrell's scoring to all of the plays being run for him and his constantly touching the ball. Then, a paragraph later, you point out he has more turnovers than Henderson. You can't have it both ways. Maybe, just maybe, he has more turnovers because the ball is in his hand a lot more. :banana:

 

As for the defense, that's not even up for debate, Holmes is long and athletic as a team. Highlands is long and strong, as a team. You tell me where the Holy Cross team fits in. Defense is a team thing.

 

Henderson average 9 points less, yes. But he's also playing less mins than Sorrell, due to his team winning 90% of thier games by 20 plus which has him sitting and reserves getting some PT. It's not like he's the only starter sitting. Also Holmes is a very deep team. No need for Henderson to be out there the whole game. He is getting 17 in probably 20 minutes a game. Not too shabby if you ask me.

 

Not too sure how many rebounds Mcgraw averages but that's because Highlands doesn't have all of their state posted.

 

Henderson touches the ball just as much as Sorrell. He just doesnt shoot as much as Sorrell. Also Sorrell has more turnovers than Henderson in 12 less games than him. Wouldn't it balance out somewhere? Also if Sorrell is all world, according to you, wouldn't he be a little better with handling the ball?

 

Henderson guards the other team's best player every game. You can say it's a team thing, which it is,but the whole team isn't running around chasing one player the whole game. Face it, Sorrell might be the best SHOOTER in the region, but not the best all around player. There's two aspects to a game...offense and defense. Also it is kinda strange that Henderson supposedlly gets all this help on defense but yet the other team's best player usually has their worst game against Holmes and Henderson just happens to be guarding them? Gimme a break.

 

You have seen both Holmes and Highlands probably twice and you all of a sudden know so much about them?

 

If Henderson is all that and a bag of chips, why does he sit so much? He certainly could have stuck around a little longer against Dixie. And if he's getting so much help, then maybe he should have had plenty in reserve against NCC.

 

When does McGraw decide to stay in games, and when does he not play the full game? Does he sit down if he doesn't score enough in the first half, or how exactly does that work? How many rebounds does he average again?

 

And again with the turnovers, you keep saying Sorrell scores so much because he has to. Well, if the ball is in his hand all the time, he might turn it over once in awhile. :sleep:

 

Henderson was in foul trouble against Dixie. Isn't sitting him what all coaches would do? Also, once again, its not like Henderson is the only one who sits. The other starters do as well because Holmes is so deep.

 

And get you facts straight about Mcgrw. He sits because he has a very bad back that almost cost him his career. He's not even supposed to be playing but he is trying to help his team out. Doctors have him on strict orders of how much he can do.

 

And what's your point about the rebounds? Corey Sorrell is 6'4. Shouldn't he be averaging more rebounds than guards?

 

Seriously what's your beef with Henderson and Mcgraw? Any time someone tries to say something positive about them you immediately jump in and have something negative to say. Corey Sorrell is a good player but head to head match ups don't lie and he was shut down by Henderson,

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.