Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does your team travel overnight

Featured Replies

I was just sitting here looking at all the various Christmas Tournaments on the KHSAA website that schools play in throughout the state and even out of state and I was wondering what various schools policies were with regard to travel that involves overnight stays in hotels. It seems a great many schools allow their teams to travel to these type of tournaments and camps and I have heard from a few that for whatever reason seem to be adamently opposed. Personally I think you need to provide your kids with these type of opportunities and experiences whenever possible. I was wondering how other schools handle these type of sitiuations or what others feelings were on this topic.

I was just sitting here looking at all the various Christmas Tournaments on the KHSAA website that schools play in throughout the state and even out of state and I was wondering what various schools policies were with regard to travel that involves overnight stays in hotels. It seems a great many schools allow their teams to travel to these type of tournaments and camps and I have heard from a few that for whatever reason seem to be adamently opposed. Personally I think you need to provide your kids with these type of opportunities and experiences whenever possible. I was wondering how other schools handle these type of sitiuations or what others feelings were on this topic.

 

Overnights would seem to me to be a "reward" for all the hard work these kids out in over the course of the years?? Most that I'm aware of do.

I think it is a great opportunity for the student athletes to be able to travel and see places that some of them will never get to see otherwise. I think all schools should allow teams to travel and reward student athletes for the hard work and dedication that they exhibit throughout the season if it is possible financially.

I know when I was at South Laurel as a student manager. We went to many different tournaments that allowed us to stay overnight. The Frank Spencer Holiday Classic was my favorite it was held in Winston Salem, NC . We had a great time the first year was awesome going in as the underdogs and winning the tournament. Last year returning as the champions wasn't as much fun. All in all great times though.

Good idea sometimes, bad others.

Good idea sometimes, bad others.

If you have good kids that you can trust it is a pleasure, if not it's probably a pain.

 

Some of the best experiences that I have had in my associations with our basketball teams have come on road trips to team camps in Florida, to the Fifth-Third a couple of times, to Ashland, to Owensboro, many trips to EKU in Richmond, and even back in the old days to the Evergreen Inn in Cynthiana for the Civics Club Classic back when Mike Listerman was the coach of the Harrison County Thoroughbreds.

 

Never once do I remember having a bad experience or wishing that we had stayed home.

 

Great kids make for great experiences!

Mason County did not commute when they were in Hawaii.

 

Also stayed in Lexington last week instead of traveling back and forth.

I believe Dayton has been permitted overnights since Dilts took over, but no school funding. He has to raise the funds on his own and even pay for the bus driver, bus, food, and hotel stays. It can get expensive I'm certain if there is no funding.

If you have good kids that you can trust it is a pleasure, if not it's probably a pain.

 

Some of the best experiences that I have had in my associations with our basketball teams have come on road trips to team camps in Florida, to the Fifth-Third a couple of times, to Ashland, to Owensboro, many trips to EKU in Richmond, and even back in the old days to the Evergreen Inn in Cynthiana for the Civics Club Classic back when Mike Listerman was the coach of the Harrison County Thoroughbreds.

 

Never once do I remember having a bad experience or wishing that we had stayed home.

 

Great kids make for great experiences!

 

:thumb:

I believe Dayton has been permitted overnights since Dilts took over, but no school funding. He has to raise the funds on his own and even pay for the bus driver, bus, food, and hotel stays. It can get expensive I'm certain if there is no funding.
Overnight trips to tournaments such as the Ashland Invitational and Fifth-Third can cost a program from $2,500 to $3,500 of their fund-raising dollars.

 

How well I know!

Over night trips are hard on the pocketbook but helps bond a team together and could pay off with some big wins down the road. Or could just lead to hard times in the booster meeting. If affordable then imo and experience staying over night is alright over all.

I am a bigger fan of over night trips during Summer team camps where the kids can stay in a dorm and kind of get a feel for the college life while also bonding with their teammates.

Going over night is something that is VERY important. It allows the kids an opportunity to bond closure together with themselves and their coaches. If the boys are good, and can be trusted, you should take them at every opportunity you can. It's only one time you play high school ball.

One of the best parts about the Frank Spencer tournament it was sponsered by Nike which ment they paid for everything from plane tickets to the food we ate to the hotel stay.

  • Author

It appears that at least most of you who responded feel the good far outweighs the bad with regard to overnight travel by your respective teams. I appreciate everyones input.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.