December 18, 200718 yr Not this one. I want a coach i can tell my kids about. Doing the right thing. I don't think Pitino placed winning over the right thing to do with Caracter. I believe that. All along he said it was up to Caracter to get reinstated. What is your view Buckett? We seem to have common ideas. I expect Rick to win games, recruit what he believes is the best is the best basketball player. Also when he has a kid that needs a kick in the pants, I want him to give him that kick. We have to understand the only reason most kids play college basketball os to make it to the NBA. Now tell me when is Caracter ever going to use X+Y=6? He isnt. He is going to play at UL long enough to go to the NBA. So I say get out of him what we need.
December 18, 200718 yr Kinda hard to do when they're in every thread. That is hyperbole and not true. I offer this thread as proof. http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=138341 Now, you could answer by saying, "well that is one" but I would just reply with another thread and another and another. Let's get back to this thread's topic of Rick Pitino showing his true character and reinstating a kid that did not need to be reinstated to the team. Showing none of the character of a coach like......................ummm let me see......................wait for it........................could it be. Orlando Tubby Smith:p:D;):sssh:
December 18, 200718 yr You are going to get it for bringing Coach Smith into a UL thread.:lol::jump: Thats life I guess.:thumb:
December 18, 200718 yr I expect Rick to win games, recruit what he believes is the best is the best basketball player. Also when he has a kid that needs a kick in the pants, I want him to give him that kick. We have to understand the only reason most kids play college basketball os to make it to the NBA. Now tell me when is Caracter ever going to use X+Y=6? He isnt. He is going to play at UL long enough to go to the NBA. So I say get out of him what we need. Most kids? I think that's a little far fetched. I'd say the vast majority go in knowing they have little to no shot at moving on to the next level. Get out of him what we need? That's everything that is wrong with college sports, and I'm quite frankly appalled that anyone would have that opinion. That is exactly the same as saying "I don't care what happens to that guy in life, just that we get out of him what we need on the court." Why don't you just go ahead and say you don't care if he ends up in the gutter as long as you get a few wins?
December 18, 200718 yr I used to like this forum until it became the Tubby Smith Appreciation Site. All two members of it.
December 18, 200718 yr Showing none of the character of a coach like......................ummm let me see......................wait for it........................could it be. Orlando Tubby Smith:p:D;):sssh: You're right, Tubby usually did kick his thugs off the team.
December 18, 200718 yr Tubby hardly had thugs on his team because his 1 n 2 star players were grateful for playing in a UK jersey.
December 19, 200718 yr Actually I don't really care about this situation but will say this: I have heard that RickyP is at a crossroads with this kid. Internally he feels if he cuts ties with Derrick, that his life would implode and only bad things would come out of that....he feels he needs to hang on long enough, until he can provide for himself. I am not saying I agree with this sentiment, just giving a different perspective that I have actually heard. That'd be great, if there were not any other teams that would take DC. Instead, he could have (and possibly still could) transfer to almost any program in the land. Or, he could enter the NBA draft and somebody would probably take a chance on him.
December 19, 200718 yr I guess that is true becaause all Orlando Smith did was win games and that wasn't enough. I don't know what your point is... You'll not find any post by me slamming Tubby Smith nor defending him for that matter, so your blanket comment is null to me... I think some people need to grow up and deal with things as they come and not spend years harping on it every time the opportunity arises but that's just me...
December 19, 200718 yr I don't know what your point is... You'll not find any post by me slamming Tubby Smith nor defending him for that matter, so your blanket comment is null to me... I think some people need to grow up and deal with things as they come and not spend years harping on it every time the opportunity arises but that's just me... My point was nothing other than there is something other than winning that some UK fans want.
December 19, 200718 yr Most kids? I think that's a little far fetched. I'd say the vast majority go in knowing they have little to no shot at moving on to the next level. Get out of him what we need? That's everything that is wrong with college sports, and I'm quite frankly appalled that anyone would have that opinion. That is exactly the same as saying "I don't care what happens to that guy in life, just that we get out of him what we need on the court." Why don't you just go ahead and say you don't care if he ends up in the gutter as long as you get a few wins? Okay I dont care what happens to him after UL. The reason is because he has showed he has other plans than helping the team. So if he wants to have the attitude that he seems to have I say use him for what he is worth then let him go on his merry way.
December 19, 200718 yr Back to subject (if that's possible), I had heard RP said that he has never met a guy so far behind in the game of life in all his years of coaching... It sounds like to me RP has compassion for him and does care, it's easy to say that he's playing him for selfish reasons, but I would hate to accuse a man of that when his motives are genuine…
December 19, 200718 yr 1. Indefinite suspension = undetermined number of games, thus, the word indefinite 2. Although I don't agree with him asking the team, Pitino made the decision to play him in the Dayton game because he didn't want to punish the team for Caracter's mistakes (age-old debate for another thread). 3. The final straw was the "curfew violation". How many time in a season does this happen around the country? It's usually a "rules violation" or he "broke a team rule". To even suspend him for ONE game is probably being hard one him--he could have just run him and played him if he really wanted to. 4. If Pitino "just wants to win", then why did he suspend him for the Purdue game (and possibly cost them a win) and bring him back for this rugged stretch against Marshall, New Mexico State, Morehead State, Iona, and Cincinnati? 5. Pitino has stated that Caracter will not be around next year so he has 3 to 4 months to get him ready for the next level (and life). He obviously has many poor habits that he needs to work on.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.