December 5, 200718 yr How do you feel about requiring the Freshman to play at least one season of College Hoops? It has been the topic of discussion by some talking heads the past couple of days. I was not a fan of the rule from the onset and still not. Sure, it has generated some excitement and fans of the college game get to see some amazing talents, for one season. And I am eating it up with the likes of Durant, Oden, Bayless, Rose, etc. But, is that what college athletics should be about? Mayo, et al. have let it be known they are coming in to be one and done, it really makes a mockery out of Universities and the whole University system, imo.
December 5, 200718 yr I think these kids coming for 1 year stinks. It's up to the NBA to put into place a rule like the NFL has regarding entering the league.
December 5, 200718 yr Well I think it is good for all these guys to go to college a year. Durant and Oden and some others were ready to go to the NBA right away, but there are a lot of other players who would have tried to go pro early and not make it very long. It was happening every year. I wish they would have to stay 2 years myself. This way players could a good start on their college education.
December 5, 200718 yr Dick Vitale said something to the effect that if a kid was good enough to be a legit first round draft pick as a HS senior (Oden, Durant, Kobe, Garnett, ect.) then they should be allowed to enter and be drafted. Everyone else that goes to college, should not be eligible for the NBA draft until after thier Junior season.
December 5, 200718 yr I think it's pointless. Sure it's nice to see these guys plays, much better than waiting 2-3 years while they waste away on an NBA bench but one year is just a tease.
December 5, 200718 yr Dick Vitale said something to the effect that if a kid was good enough to be a legit first round draft pick as a HS senior (Oden, Durant, Kobe, Garnett, ect.) then they should be allowed to enter and be drafted. Everyone else that goes to college, should not be eligible for the NBA draft until after thier Junior season. I think thats the way to do it. Schools and players are both getting a raw deal.
December 5, 200718 yr Dick Vitale said something to the effect that if a kid was good enough to be a legit first round draft pick as a HS senior (Oden, Durant, Kobe, Garnett, ect.) then they should be allowed to enter and be drafted. Everyone else that goes to college, should not be eligible for the NBA draft until after thier Junior season. So who decides who's good enough and who's not, Vitale?
December 5, 200718 yr Dick Vitale said something to the effect that if a kid was good enough to be a legit first round draft pick as a HS senior (Oden, Durant, Kobe, Garnett, ect.) then they should be allowed to enter and be drafted. Everyone else that goes to college, should not be eligible for the NBA draft until after thier Junior season. I don't do this very often, but I have to agree with Dickie V. this time. Once the young man decides to go to college, he's there for 3 years.
December 5, 200718 yr Author I don't do this very often, but I have to agree with Dickie V. this time. Once the young man decides to go to college, he's there for 3 years. And as it is right now, we can probably name 15 kids over the past two seasons that would have bypassed college for the NBA. Instead, they will be bolting after their Freshman season (which is fine). That is not what collegiate athletics is about, imo. The biggest benefit I see are for those that would have declared, but clearly are not ready. The NBA, however, weeds those guys out before draft time, although some will declare despite advice.
December 5, 200718 yr And as it is right now, we can probably name 15 kids over the past two seasons that would have bypassed college for the NBA. Instead, they will be bolting after their Freshman season (which is fine). That is not what collegiate athletics is about, imo. The biggest benefit I see are for those that would have declared, but clearly are not ready. The NBA, however, weeds those guys out before draft time, although some will declare despite advice. True.
December 5, 200718 yr Universities loose money as well after these players leave, because their graduation rate goes down, and as the drop out and leacing rate go up.
December 5, 200718 yr That is not what collegiate athletics is about, imo. You know better than that. It's all about the $$$...
December 5, 200718 yr IMO it should be more along the line of the way baseball is. If you're good enough coming out of high school to be drafted then by all means go. If not then you have 3 choices: 1. You can go JUCO and be eligible to be drafted after 2 years. 2. If you go to a 4 year school on scholarship, then you must stay through your junior year. 3. You can walk on, pay for your own education, and leave whenever you want.
December 5, 200718 yr Author You know better than that. It's all about the $$$... Whatever, it is about the experience and education :lol::jump: No, I realize that, and on many levels it is just simply a business. Athletics generate a ton of money. I love the rule in the sense I have been able to see Durant, Oden, etc. I just sometime question if kids want to even be there. Then again, they may not be any different if the rule had never changed.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.