December 6, 200718 yr So you don't like Slick Rick? What's Slick Rick ever done that's so wrong? That he's been caught doing I should say.
December 6, 200718 yr What do you define as good character? 1. If you think that drinking is wrong then you do not like Gillispie. I guess that leaves us Catholics and Lutherans. 2. We all think Drinking and Driving is wrong. I believe he owned up to that. Until there is evidence that it has happened again then you really can not judge him for that. 3. He is single so if you think dating and dancing and carrying on is wrong then you do not like Gillispie. 4. Some say he is Gay so that turns many of you off. 5. He works his guys hard and punishes his team for not responding so that is bad to many. Poor guy. Just win and then maybe everyone will get off your back. Just like everyonbe left Pitino alone even though he had his (alleged) flaws.
December 6, 200718 yr Here is an article from John Clay on this subject.http://www.kentucky.com/269/story/250955.html
December 6, 200718 yr Here is an article from John Clay on this subject.http://www.kentucky.com/269/story/250955.html I think John Clay is being harsh on Sampson. I think he is a pretty good guy. He simply got caught. The 2nd time around IMO is what makes it a bad deal. You must learn from past mistakes and correct them. IMO it does not warrant him being fired.
December 6, 200718 yr What's Slick Rick ever done that's so wrong? That he's been caught doing I should say. So if I cheat on my wife and don't get caught you still think I am a good guy. See what I mean.
December 7, 200718 yr So if I cheat on my wife and don't get caught you still think I am a good guy. See what I mean. I'd be envious of you.
December 7, 200718 yr Author Now come on people. Lets all be serious and honest here. The bottom line is going to be wins and losses and how they do in the postseason. That is why you follow a team and root for them. It looks good to say you care about the character, and great character definitely helps. Heck, most of the great coaches do have pretty good character. If Bob Knight was making Final Fours and had won a recent National Championship do you really think he would have had all the issues he had at IU? I liked Tubby, but I wasnt sad to see him go. I want to win. Its great if that is an exciting brand of ball with exciting players. As long as he doesnt get the program on probation and isnt constantly in trouble or has his players constantly getting in trouble I think things will be okay. Tubby seemingly had "better" character than BCG, but if everybody stays out of trouble and as long as its just fun, I dont think there will be many issues. Thank you for being completely honest. I think that a big majority feel this way, even if they won't admit it.
December 7, 200718 yr Whether his upbringing was one of poverty or not, it doesn't matter. Again, it's because of the perception that an NCAA rule might be being violated. Even kids from middle-class backgrounds are living beyond their means if they're driving expensive vehicles while in school playing sports (when they are unable to take on a high-paying job to pay for such an item). It's not just about Rondo in particular but one of college basketball/football players in general -- that most seem to come from impoverished backgrounds. Again, I will ask: Are you really trying to say that when an athlete shows up on campus driving an expensive vehicle it shouldn't throw up red flags among the media, NCAA and university compliance departments? They should just turn a blind eye to potential rule violations? I guess as far as you're concerned, let's go back to the old days of $100 handshakes for all! Rondo was able to get sent down to Oak Hill, I'd say his family was doing ok. If it was really that bad he probably would have stayed at Eastern Also, I have to say I have seen it happen. A kid gets to playing well and looks like a sure fire pro. The parents will go out and get the kid something nice, a car or whatever it is that he wants because they expect the pay day to come soon and it wont hurt as much.
December 8, 200718 yr So do most of you think that you should only question your coach & his character if he is not winning???
December 8, 200718 yr So do most of you think that you should only question your coach & his character if he is not winning??? Thats how IU does it...
December 12, 200718 yr Doesn't seem to me that Tubby has been very lazy recruiting in Minnesota. Since he did start late w/them and has a top-20 recruiting class according to Rivals.com. Also, to say that Tubby's team's were not in shape is stupid. Ask Gerald Fitch and Chuck Hayes and Tayshaun Prince and Bobby Perry and Ramel Bradely if they were in shape. I have heard complaints about Tubby, but never like that before!
December 13, 200718 yr Let's be frank, if you are hiring a coach to be a boy scout leader or a cake baker, then sure his character should matter. If you are hiring him to win games then tell me, what difference it makes.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.