Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Much Does Your Coach's Character Matter?

Featured Replies

The Herald-Leader is the same paper who was sneaking around taking pictures of Rondo driving Derek Anderson's vehicle a couple years ago. Now, if Gillespie gets in trouble for having a DUI they definitly should run the story. They have probably been easy on Gillespie so far based on all the rumors though.

 

The Rondo-Anderson situation was a case of a potential NCAA rules violation. Fair game. And I don't recall there being any photos run in the paper of this; only a story. So forgive me if I'm not swayed by your use of "sneaking around."

  • Replies 71
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like a lot of us, as a child I went to bed listening to Kentucky on a clock radio. Coach Rupp was the greatest man that ever coached. I have supported UK all of my life. I now understand that Coach Rupp was human and may of had some flaws but he was a pretty good coach. Over the years I have never quit supporting my team and my school. I can do this without supporting every coach or professor that works there. Sometimes we support our University by speaking out against things that are wrong. The jury is still out on BCG but I can support the University and team without supporting him. If this stuff being rumored on here is true, I will never support him. If it all turns out to be false rumors, maybe I can support him.

 

By all accounts, Rupp rather enjoyed his bourbon. And that was at a time when driving while intoxicated was looked upon as not that big a deal, so I can't help but figure there were at least a few occasions where Rupp would've driven drunk. It's just that at that time, Rupp enjoyed preferential treatment because of his larger-than-life status.

 

As in most situations like this, Gillispie is guilty of behavior that would've been given a pass in the old days. It's just that in today's hyperintense media environment, anyone who is famous is fair game for scrutiny.

The Rondo-Anderson situation was a case of a potential NCAA rules violation. Fair game. And I don't recall there being any photos run in the paper of this; only a story. So forgive me if I'm not swayed by your use of "sneaking around."

 

There was a photo taken and put in the Lexington Herald with Rondo getting into Anderson's loaned vehicle with his McDonald's bag.

"Fair game" IMO is not hiding in the bushed and taking a picture of Rondo as the woman alledgedly did if my recollection is correct.

Pretty simple for me...I feel a coach on any level can win every game in there tenure but if they don't have good character they are pretty much a piece of crap!

Pretty simple for me...I feel a coach on any level can win every game in there tenure but if they don't have good character they are pretty much a piece of crap!

 

 

 

I thought you like John L. Smith :sssh::D

I thought you like John L. Smith :sssh::D

 

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I knew that would come up. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

 

I didn't agree with John L. on how he left UofL BUT I liked who he was off the field.

There was a photo taken and put in the Lexington Herald with Rondo getting into Anderson's loaned vehicle with his McDonald's bag.

"Fair game" IMO is not hiding in the bushed and taking a picture of Rondo as the woman alledgedly did if my recollection is correct.

 

I don't recall seeing the photo, so I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt there. But I'm curious: Were you there when the photo was taken? How do you know she was hiding out in the bushes?

 

And I still come back to the fact that his driving a vehicle of such nature — I'm sure it wasn't a hooptie — raises LOTS of questions for a player at UK, where NCAA violations are a big part of the rich history of the program.

I don't recall seeing the photo, so I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt there. But I'm curious: Were you there when the photo was taken? How do you know she was hiding out in the bushes?

 

And I still come back to the fact that his driving a vehicle of such nature — I'm sure it wasn't a hooptie — raises LOTS of questions for a player at UK, where NCAA violations are a big part of the rich history of the program.

 

At the time it was said that the woman who took the picture was hiding in the bushes. I am not sure if that is true. Thats why I said "allegedly." I don't see a reason for the Lexington Herald photographers to be hanging around the Wildcat Lodge parking lot to get pictures of UK players and their cars.

I don't see a reason for the Lexington Herald photographers to be hanging around the Wildcat Lodge parking lot to get pictures of UK players and their cars.

 

I wish one of them would've gotten a picture of Daniels riding around on his Moped. I'd love to have a picture of that.

At the time it was said that the woman who took the picture was hiding in the bushes. I am not sure if that is true. Thats why I said "allegedly." I don't see a reason for the Lexington Herald photographers to be hanging around the Wildcat Lodge parking lot to get pictures of UK players and their cars.

 

If they are driving cars that appear to be outside their financial means, by all means it should be documented, because that means all the stuff about UK being a "clean" program is just fiction. As a Wildcat fan, you should be commending the H-L for keeping an eye on things so that UK doesn't go back to its crooked ways of the past, when the Cats were the best team money could buy.

If they are driving cars that appear to be outside their financial means, by all means it should be documented, because that means all the stuff about UK being a "clean" program is just fiction. As a Wildcat fan, you should be commending the H-L for keeping an eye on things so that UK doesn't go back to its crooked ways of the past, when the Cats were the best team money could buy.

 

How do we know what is outside Rondo's financial means at this time. I have no idea about his family's financial situation, but it sounds to me like you are stereo-typing Rondo. It is simply none of our business.

I wish one of them would've gotten a picture of Daniels riding around on his Moped. I'd love to have a picture of that.

 

Ive also seen Woo riding around on a stand-up electic scooter.:p

How do we know what is outside Rondo's financial means at this time. I have no idea about his family's financial situation, but it sounds to me like you are stereo-typing Rondo. It is simply none of our business.

 

I'm stereotyping Rondo. Good one.

 

If I recall from the article, the whole reason his driving Anderson's vehicle raised suspicions was because his family wasn't well-off. Let's not kid ourselves here: The overwhelming majority of college basketball players do not come from situations like Noah or Horford's. And I do recall folks from Louisville familiar with Rondo's upbringing confirming he was "driving out of his means," especially when you consider at the time he was less than content with his UK situation, so the thought was he had been paid by an agent, which would also have been a major NCAA violation.

 

But spin it however you like, since this is just one more part of the insidious, broad-based anti-UK conspiracy.

Huggins or Cronin?

Petrino or Kraigthorpe?

 

Who would people choose in those instances? Both of those teams current coaches seem like great guys.

 

Like it or not, big time athletics is about winning national championships.. If the program stays clean, it doesn't matter what he drinks or who he dates.

 

As a parent, I tell my children to be responsible for their own actions. Others do no dictate what they do or how they act. Its their choice... Its up to me to teach them that. I would never put that on a coach.

 

Tubby is gone, sometimes a divorce is necessary and this was the case with UK... People need to get over it and move on... He's not coming back....

 

G

I don't recall seeing the photo, so I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt there. But I'm curious: Were you there when the photo was taken? How do you know she was hiding out in the bushes?

 

And I still come back to the fact that his driving a vehicle of such nature — I'm sure it wasn't a hooptie — raises LOTS of questions for a player at UK, where NCAA violations are a big part of the rich history of the program.

 

He doesnt lie. I didnt remember the picture at first, but when he described the picture I remembered it vividly.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.