Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Much Does Your Coach's Character Matter?

Featured Replies

Let's be frank, if you are hiring a coach to be a boy scout leader or a cake baker, then sure his character should matter. If you are hiring him to win games then tell me, what difference it makes.

 

Well, when you coach for one of the most penalized programs in NCAA history — the only one to get the NCAA-imposed "death penalty" — it should matter a BUNCH.

  • Replies 71
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's be frank, if you are hiring a coach to be a boy scout leader or a cake baker, then sure his character should matter. If you are hiring him to win games then tell me, what difference it makes.

 

Idealy you want a coach that never gets in trouble and is a model citizen. But if you look at Gillespie, Sampson, and Pitino (the big 3 we talk about the most) they all have had issues. Sampson with recruiting violations, Gillespie with DUI and rumors, and Pitino and rumors. I think they are all pretty good guys though.

Tubby Smith always showed great character. I believe its something every fan should want out of the coach of the team you pull for.

Let's be frank, if you are hiring a coach to be a boy scout leader or a cake baker, then sure his character should matter. If you are hiring him to win games then tell me, what difference it makes.

 

I disagree with you. I want a coach who wins, has class and character.

Anyone that is willing to send their kid to an unethical, immoral coach should be punished for child abuse...

Anyone that is willing to send their kid to an unethical, immoral coach should be punished for child abuse...

 

The problem is defining what is considered being an unethical, immoral coach.

You guys keep Mother Theresa. Give me a winner.

You guys keep Mother Theresa. Give me a winner.

 

Yeah, what's a few silly little rules broken when the big picture is in sight? :rolleyes:

 

I guess under your administration we could expect to see UK players at the $50 minimum betting windows at Keeneland again like during the old days, eh?

You guys keep Mother Theresa. Give me a winner.

 

 

I don't think it's a Mother Theresa thing. I think that I hold accountabilty for everyone to have character. Even though some on here think just being a winning coach makes them "God like".

The problem is defining what is considered being an unethical, immoral coach.

 

It is a fine line, especially in the cut throat world of college athletics...

 

I'm sure those guys almost feel like they're selling their souls to the devil...in some cases they most certainly are...

You guys keep Mother Theresa. Give me a winner.

 

Losing credibility as you type...

Yeah, what's a few silly little rules broken when the big picture is in sight? :rolleyes:

 

I guess under your administration we could expect to see UK players at the $50 minimum betting windows at Keeneland again like during the old days, eh?

 

No, I'd probably just make a few illegal phone calls.

Losing credibility as you type...

 

I lost credibility when I criticized Tubby Smith. It doesn't much matter what I say now does it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.