Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Much Does Your Coach's Character Matter?

Featured Replies

By all accounts, Tubby Smith is a model citizen, an outstanding family man, possessing honor and integrity out the boohoo. The new coach, by most accounts, is positioned somewhere at the other end of the character spectrum.

 

Smith won 26 games a year over his tenure, with one national title and several SEC titles. Successful, no question, but maybe not enough for, say, about 9/50 of Big Blue Nation.

 

My question is - how much does character matter to you when it comes to the coach of your basketball team? And I ask this question as DR. PHIL would ask it....Please be completely and acutely honest in your response.

 

If you could have a "Smith" who could win you 22-25 games a year, competitive in your conference every year, and maybe a Final Four every 6-8 years or a high profile, smooth -talking, sleazy-living, swimming pool carousing, super-recruiting son-of-a-gun who would get you 25-30 W's a year and a Final Four regular, which would you choose?

 

I guess what I want to know is would you rather your team have GOOD(or even very good) success with a GREAT man at the helm or GREAT success with someone of questionable morals and character? Ideally, you want to have GREAT success with a GREAT man. But which matters more with regards to your coach - "W's" or "DUI's"?

 

Does a coach's character matter more to you or is the bottom line just wins and losses and championships?

 

**DISCLAIMER** This is not a question concerning just UK or its head coach but coaches, in general. While BCG had somewhat of a reputation before coming to Lexington, the verdict is still out on what kind of citizen he will be here in the Bluegrass.

  • Replies 71
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tubby Smith - Pros: Good family man, good morals, good defensive/rebounding coach

 

Cons: Unorganized, lazy recruiter, players were out of shape

 

BCG - Pros: Good recruiter, loves his players being in peak shape, opened up the offense (which is what most want)

 

Cons: The guy likes a brew or two.

 

Too early to tell on BCG and there is A LOT of you guys who aren't giving him a chance.

 

Don't you think there is some exageration going on somewhere along the line. Seriously, if BCG was out getting "hammered" the Herald-Leader would have someone tailing BCG 24/7. We'd see pictures, there would be articles, and you here it on every AM sports channel in KY, OH, Tennessee, and IN. It's a joke, support your coach or find a different team.

IMHO:

 

 

As much as success is defined by winning, I don't think a successful coach is successful without the ability to develop his players into more than just players. A coaches job (at the collegiate and below level) is to develop young men with athletic talent into citizens who have a strong work ethic, discipline, the ability to compete in the game of life. To me, it doesn't matter if you win every national honor and title...if you do it with young men you only value for their basketball skills and have not helped develop their character, you have not succeeded as their coach.

IMHO:

 

 

As much as success is defined by winning, I don't think a successful coach is successful without the ability to develop his players into more than just players. A coaches job (at the collegiate and below level) is to develop young men with athletic talent into citizens who have a strong work ethic, discipline, the ability to compete in the game of life. To me, it doesn't matter if you win every national honor and title...if you do it with young men you only value for their basketball skills and have not helped develop their character, you have not succeeded as their coach.

 

To me the most important of all qualities is for a coach to develop this trait. I agree with your post 100 percent...nice job:thumb:

I will just say I'm very, very, very, VERY happy that my Cavaliers got Dave Leitao.

 

If you were to offer me a coach with problems on and off the court, but a consistent top 10 program, I would take Leitao.

 

I would rather be a good or really good program that does things the right way, as opposed to a probation case waiting to happen.

 

I'm sure the Cavaliers have bent the rules like anyone else and maybe even broken a few, but they are usually thought of as a school that does things the right way, I appreciate that.

I was one of the biggest Tubby supporters on here. I also support BCG 100% bc he is our (U.K.'s) coach. I am not passing judgement on the man at all. BCG is putting in a new system and the players have to adapt to it. I will say that by watching Texas A&M the last couple of years and UTEP before that I believe that A LOT of people maybe have the wrong idea on BCG's system and style of play. Offensively imo really resembles some of the stuff Tubby ran, BCG imo is not as run and gun as people believe. I think that a lot are saying that bc it is what they want to see. Defensively, imo a person cannot get much better than Tubby Smith, BCG's system resembles Tubbys somewhat as well. Difference is that his years team doesn't look like they have completely bought into it and take some possesions off, not hustling, no back side help defense, etc.,etc..

 

As for morals and character, Yes I believe that is very important.

These men are not only basketball coaches imo they are also "life" coaches. No one is going to compare with Tubby Smith on class, character of a man. No one.

 

I do not go on everything that I hear and as been said about BCG either. A thread before was talking about some of this stuff ( BCG's "chasing women, pool parties, bar hopping, etc..) I just think that if the man would had been doing all of that what was said that someone somehwere would have had pictures with all of today's camera/cell phones and technology. I beleive that a coach should hold himself and the Universities should hold their coaches to a higher standard.

As for judging BCG now I am not and I haven't read, seen anything right now that would make me question him other than rumors. I am supporting Billy Gillispie and I am supporting Tubby at Minnesota and wish him well :thumb:.

I think a good coach has to be of very high character and he must be respected by the players he coaches and the school that he serves. More importantly I think it is important that a coach be consistent in how he deals with his players, staff, boosters and community. When these things aren't in place I think you put your program, whatever it is that you may coach, in serious jeopardy.

I think a good coach has to be of very high character and he must be respected by the players he coaches and the school that he serves. More importantly I think it is important that a coach be consistent in how he deals with his players, staff, boosters and community. When these things aren't in place I think you put your program, whatever it is that you may coach, in serious jeopardy.

 

:thumb::thumb:

Tubby Smith - Pros: Good family man, good morals, good defensive/rebounding coach

 

Cons: Unorganized, lazy recruiter, players were out of shape

 

BCG - Pros: Good recruiter, loves his players being in peak shape, opened up the offense (which is what most want)

 

Cons: The guy likes a brew or two.

 

Too early to tell on BCG and there is A LOT of you guys who aren't giving him a chance.

 

Don't you think there is some exageration going on somewhere along the line. Seriously, if BCG was out getting "hammered" the Herald-Leader would have someone tailing BCG 24/7. We'd see pictures, there would be articles, and you here it on every AM sports channel in KY, OH, Tennessee, and IN. It's a joke, support your coach or find a different team.

 

The Herald-Leader is not a tabloid and they do not have the resources to do something so ridiculous. Plus, they would not want to deal with the backlash from UK fans over it. How many subscribers did they lose when they broke the Mills story? Bunches. And that was a legit news story; not paparazzi stuff like what you're suggesting.

 

If Gillispie hangs himself by getting busted for a DUI, or some other running afoul of the law, there will be a story.

To me the most important of all qualities is for a coach to develop this trait. I agree with your post 100 percent...nice job:thumb:

 

 

Thanks!

 

I'm sure it's no secret that I'm a HUGE UL fan...one reason I was really happy that Pitino came to Louisville was that I felt Crum had not only let the "game" pass him by, but had lost control of the players. I was, and still am, extremely respectful of Coach Crum, just felt we needed "fresh blood" in the Coaches position. I only knew Coach Pitino from a "foe" aspect, prior to his arrival at U of L. But I can say 100% that we got a coach more concerned with the overall character development of his players than winning ball games. I think that one of the most recent examples of this is his handling of the Derrick Character situation.

If you could have a "Smith" who could win you 22-25 games a year, competitive in your conference every year, and maybe a Final Four every 6-8 years or a high profile, smooth -talking, sleazy-living, swimming pool carousing, super-recruiting son-of-a-gun who would get you 25-30 W's a year and a Final Four regular, which would you choose?

 

Well, to be true to the inspiration of this post, Coach "Smith" would get you a Final Four every 10-12 years. I think if it was every 6-8, Coach "Smith" might still be in blue.

 

Second, I think there's a line where "having a good time" crosses over to something else. It depends on where the second coach falls in respect to that line. Is he out drinking before/after games? Or is he just at the bars during the off season, and occasionally on non game days?

 

Also, at UK, I don't think the number of wins and losses matter as much as tournament performance. If a coach is consistently winning SEC tournament titles, and having good NCAA runs (good being Final Fours every 4-5 years), he can have all the 10 loss seasons he wants.

I think a good coach has to be of very high character and he must be respected by the players he coaches and the school that he serves. More importantly I think it is important that a coach be consistent in how he deals with his players, staff, boosters and community. When these things aren't in place I think you put your program, whatever it is that you may coach, in serious jeopardy.

 

:thumb: Well said. Also, keep in mind that most of these basketball players will never play at the next level. So developing these players into young men and preparing them for life is vital for their success. These young men should go into life with a firm foundation and the coach helps mold that.

:thumb: Well said. Also, keep in mind that most of these basketball players will never play at the next level. So developing these players into young men and preparing them for life is vital for their success. These young men should go into life with a firm foundation and the coach helps mold that.

 

:thumb:Agree 100%. Coaches need to be role models for their players and be accountable. It isn't all about winning games all the time at the high school level. They are preparing these kids for life and it is important that they teach kids that there are rewards for doing things the right way and unfortunately there are consequences when they do something wrong. Not sure that all coaches understand that and winning the next game gets in the way or becomes more important then teaching a valuable lesson to a youngman or young lady.

The Herald-Leader is not a tabloid and they do not have the resources to do something so ridiculous. Plus, they would not want to deal with the backlash from UK fans over it. How many subscribers did they lose when they broke the Mills story? Bunches. And that was a legit news story; not paparazzi stuff like what you're suggesting.

 

If Gillispie hangs himself by getting busted for a DUI, or some other running afoul of the law, there will be a story.

 

The Herald-Leader is the same paper who was sneaking around taking pictures of Rondo driving Derek Anderson's vehicle a couple years ago. Now, if Gillespie gets in trouble for having a DUI they definitly should run the story. They have probably been easy on Gillespie so far based on all the rumors though.

Like a lot of us, as a child I went to bed listening to Kentucky on a clock radio. Coach Rupp was the greatest man that ever coached. I have supported UK all of my life. I now understand that Coach Rupp was human and may of had some flaws but he was a pretty good coach. Over the years I have never quit supporting my team and my school. I can do this without supporting every coach or professor that works there. Sometimes we support our University by speaking out against things that are wrong. The jury is still out on BCG but I can support the University and team without supporting him. If this stuff being rumored on here is true, I will never support him. If it all turns out to be false rumors, maybe I can support him.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.