Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Much Does Your Coach's Character Matter?

Featured Replies

Now come on people. Lets all be serious and honest here. The bottom line is going to be wins and losses and how they do in the postseason. That is why you follow a team and root for them. It looks good to say you care about the character, and great character definitely helps. Heck, most of the great coaches do have pretty good character. If Bob Knight was making Final Fours and had won a recent National Championship do you really think he would have had all the issues he had at IU? I liked Tubby, but I wasnt sad to see him go. I want to win. Its great if that is an exciting brand of ball with exciting players. As long as he doesnt get the program on probation and isnt constantly in trouble or has his players constantly getting in trouble I think things will be okay.

 

Tubby seemingly had "better" character than BCG, but if everybody stays out of trouble and as long as its just fun, I dont think there will be many issues.

  • Replies 71
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now come on people. Lets all be serious and honest here. The bottom line is going to be wins and losses and how they do in the postseason. That is why you follow a team and root for them. It looks good to say you care about the character, and great character definitely helps. Heck, most of the great coaches do have pretty good character. If Bob Knight was making Final Fours and had won a recent National Championship do you really think he would have had all the issues he had at IU? I liked Tubby, but I wasnt sad to see him go. I want to win. Its great if that is an exciting brand of ball with exciting players. As long as he doesnt get the program on probation and isnt constantly in trouble or has his players constantly getting in trouble I think things will be okay.

 

Tubby seemingly had "better" character than BCG, but if everybody stays out of trouble and as long as its just fun, I dont think there will be many issues.

 

 

 

Bobby Knight is in his own room!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll take the final fours any day of the week. I don't care if he's a raging Bob Huggins alcoholic. Drink one for me while your at it coach, as long as those banners keep raising.

I'm stereotyping Rondo. Good one.

 

If I recall from the article, the whole reason his driving Anderson's vehicle raised suspicions was because his family wasn't well-off. Let's not kid ourselves here: The overwhelming majority of college basketball players do not come from situations like Noah or Horford's. And I do recall folks from Louisville familiar with Rondo's upbringing confirming he was "driving out of his means," especially when you consider at the time he was less than content with his UK situation, so the thought was he had been paid by an agent, which would also have been a major NCAA violation.

 

But spin it however you like, since this is just one more part of the insidious, broad-based anti-UK conspiracy.

 

 

But why does it matter though? Rondo was a college athlete, not a professional athlete. The media should not be worrried about Rondo' family's wealth or what he is driving.

But members of the media are just looking for a story most of the time and really don't care about privacy.

But why does it matter though? Rondo was a college athlete, not a professional athlete. The media should not be worrried about Rondo' family's wealth or what he is driving.

But members of the media are just looking for a story most of the time and really don't care about privacy.

 

This is great stuff. :lol:

 

Are you actually trying to tell me that when a kid who comes from a poverty-stricken home life all of a sudden shows up on campus driving a $40K SUV it shouldn't send up red flags to A) The media, B) The NCAA and C) The university's compliance commissioner? That's rich. You are really delusional if you believe that line.

 

I'm sure if LABS showed up on here with some juicy tidbit about a UofL player doing the exact same thing, you would also say his privacy was being violated, right?

This is great stuff. :lol:

 

Are you actually trying to tell me that when a kid who comes from a poverty-stricken home life all of a sudden shows up on campus driving a $40K SUV it shouldn't send up red flags to A) The media, B) The NCAA and C) The university's compliance commissioner? That's rich. You are really delusional if you believe that line.

 

I'm sure if LABS showed up on here with some juicy tidbit about a UofL player doing the exact same thing, you would also say his privacy was being violated, right?

 

 

Shouldn't we be glad for poor old starving Rondo? I'll be the farm if Little Orphan Annie signed with the Lady Cats and was seen driving a $60,000 hummer we wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement.

IMHO:

 

 

As much as success is defined by winning, I don't think a successful coach is successful without the ability to develop his players into more than just players. A coaches job (at the collegiate and below level) is to develop young men with athletic talent into citizens who have a strong work ethic, discipline, the ability to compete in the game of life. To me, it doesn't matter if you win every national honor and title...if you do it with young men you only value for their basketball skills and have not helped develop their character, you have not succeeded as their coach.

 

:thumb: Excellent!!

This is great stuff. :lol:

 

Are you actually trying to tell me that when a kid who comes from a poverty-stricken home life all of a sudden shows up on campus driving a $40K SUV it shouldn't send up red flags to A) The media, B) The NCAA and C) The university's compliance commissioner? That's rich. You are really delusional if you believe that line.

 

I'm sure if LABS showed up on here with some juicy tidbit about a UofL player doing the exact same thing, you would also say his privacy was being violated, right?

 

Poverty-stricken?

 

I have never heard that about Rondo's life before college. How do we know he comes from a poverty-stricken life?

And honestly, I hated the fact that there was pictures of Palacios and McCarty out drinking.

 

And like I said, why was a lady supposedly hiding in the bushes taking pictures of him and why is those pictures getting in the paper?

Poverty-stricken?

 

I have never heard that about Rondo's life before college. How do we know he comes from a poverty-stricken life?

And honestly, I hated the fact that there was pictures of Palacios and McCarty out drinking.

 

And like I said, why was a lady supposedly hiding in the bushes taking pictures of him and why is those pictures getting in the paper?

 

Whether his upbringing was one of poverty or not, it doesn't matter. Again, it's because of the perception that an NCAA rule might be being violated. Even kids from middle-class backgrounds are living beyond their means if they're driving expensive vehicles while in school playing sports (when they are unable to take on a high-paying job to pay for such an item).

 

It's not just about Rondo in particular but one of college basketball/football players in general -- that most seem to come from impoverished backgrounds. Again, I will ask: Are you really trying to say that when an athlete shows up on campus driving an expensive vehicle it shouldn't throw up red flags among the media, NCAA and university compliance departments? They should just turn a blind eye to potential rule violations?

 

I guess as far as you're concerned, let's go back to the old days of $100 handshakes for all!

Whether his upbringing was one of poverty or not, it doesn't matter. Again, it's because of the perception that an NCAA rule might be being violated. Even kids from middle-class backgrounds are living beyond their means if they're driving expensive vehicles while in school playing sports (when they are unable to take on a high-paying job to pay for such an item).

 

It's not just about Rondo in particular but one of college basketball/football players in general -- that most seem to come from impoverished backgrounds. Again, I will ask: Are you really trying to say that when an athlete shows up on campus driving an expensive vehicle it shouldn't throw up red flags among the media, NCAA and university compliance departments? They should just turn a blind eye to potential rule violations?

 

I guess as far as you're concerned, let's go back to the old days of $100 handshakes for all![/QUOTE]

 

Nope, its the sneaking around and taking pictures of Rondo getting into the vehicle and then putting it in the paper that bothers me.

 

Also, I think you are being naive if you want to say that a player never gets a $100 handshake.:lol: There are a lot of college athletes who recieve extra money. Its impossible to stop.

^ Classic case of killing the messenger just because you might not like what they have to say. The H-L, not myself.

 

Essentially you're saying you don't care if UK players start livin' large like they did in the old days; it's nobody's business but theirs and the boosters who pay for their largesse.

^ Classic case of killing the messenger just because you might not like what they have to say. The H-L, not myself.

 

Essentially you're saying you don't care if UK players start livin' large like they did in the old days; it's nobody's business but theirs and the boosters who pay for their largesse.

 

I still don't think its right to sneak around and take pictures of them without their consent or even knowing pictures are being taken. If they want to do something about it fine. Research it and talk to UK officials about it. Don't make it look like he is guilty before finding out the story.

 

Hey if someone is caught taking money or doing something they shouldn't be doing then report it. But I don't lilke making things a big deal without even knowing the story.

I still don't think its right to sneak around and take pictures of them without their consent or even knowing pictures are being taken. If they want to do something about it fine. Research it and talk to UK officials about it. Don't make it look like he is guilty before finding out the story.

 

How do you know the H-L didn't and got stonewalled by UK, forcing them to resort to less than desirable methods? And the university is public property, so there's no privacy laws that apply in this case. Especially considering that UK basketball players are public figures in the eyes of the law, and therefore fair game. Stop acting like they're little children to be coddled and protected from everything.

 

Hey if someone is caught taking money or doing something they shouldn't be doing then report it. But I don't lilke making things a big deal without even knowing the story.

 

No, you just don't like the team you cheer for being cast in a negative light. Stop trying to make it something more noble than what it is.

 

Again I ask: Are you OK with UK going back to its old ways of arrogantly flouting the NCAA rules? Because you're essentially saying you are.

How do you know the H-L didn't and got stonewalled by UK, forcing them to resort to less than desirable methods? And the university is public property, so there's no privacy laws that apply in this case. Especially considering that UK basketball players are public figures in the eyes of the law, and therefore fair game. Stop acting like they're little children to be coddled and protected from everything.

 

 

 

No, you just don't like the team you cheer for being cast in a negative light. Stop trying to make it something more noble than what it is.

 

Again I ask: Are you OK with UK going back to its old ways of arrogantly flouting the NCAA rules? Because you're essentially saying you are.

 

 

Just because there is no law against it doesn't make it right. I thought it was done shady. Thats what I don't like about it. I believe the LHL should have found out the full story before putting anything in the paper. It sounds like nothing more than annoying papparazzi.

 

Also, just because I don't think a player should be spied on for essentially doing nothing wrong, does not make me believe that it is okay not to follow the rules. All I am saying is find out the story before getting too personal, then report it if necessary.

Pretty simple for me...I feel a coach on any level can win every game in there tenure but if they don't have good character they are pretty much a piece of crap!

 

So you don't like Slick Rick?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.