Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does It Bother You

Featured Replies

If one team is that much better than their opponent, and they play everyone on their bench during the game, and they are not throwing the ball deep or running flea-flickers and such, they are not running up the score. They are simply alot better. If the better team keeps starters in once the game is out of hand, or they run "big" plays, then they may be running it up.

 

It is not acceptable for someone to insist that 2nd and 3rd team players not play their hardest in order to minimize margin or victory. Those players practice and play hard, as is expected. Their parents sit in the stands and root for their kids the same as the starters' parents do. As an official I have had coaches request that we call phantom fouls to keep the score from getting higher. I refuse to do that. I will not take away a TD scored by the 3rd string tailback who ran up the middle for 30 yards by making up fouls. Coaches can keep the score down by appropriate play calling, or substituting players. Sometimes coaches do that, and the score still grows. So be it.

 

Great post and agreed!!!

  • Replies 56
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like they dressed around 35 players.

 

They look like they have some good size players.

They look like they have some good size players.

 

Nope Coach Hilton is just that little.

Hey Ram, wouldn't things run much smoother is the KHSAA would just listen to us?? :scared: :lol:

 

Yea, I keep waiting on them to call and ask me what to do, but they must have lost my number.:D How about you?

Nope this does not bother me,This game is a step and for one team to lay down this time of year could hurt in the next game

It looks like they dressed around 35 players.

 

Those unis are sweet.

Know one wants to see kids get humiliated. There is never a reason to run up a score, and I have been on both sides of a blowout of this magnitude. The one thing I will say is, sometimes it is hard to keep your kids from scoring. As long as your not doing it with your starters I do not see the point. The bench players come to practice every day and work, does the coach need to come in and say boys don't play hard. Should he try to keep from scoring. I also know it is hard to go for one point at the end of a score when you are subed down. So you end up going for two. As long as you are subed down and everyone plays in these types of games I have no problem with it.

Sometimes it just can't be helped.

 

I just came home from the Belfry/Magoffin game early. It was 42-0 at halftime. Magoffin had run 34 plays and had about 75 yards. Belfry had run 10 plays. TEN plays and they had about 250 yards and 6 touchdowns running a very vanilla offense.

 

Now, they did start to sub in the 2nd quarter and I'm sure that continued in the 2nd half. But sometimes your 2nd string is still that much better than the other team and scores like the Bell Co score is unavoidable.

 

If you weren't there, you have no business accusing the coaching staff of running up the score. To me, THAT is uncalled for.

 

Tootsie,

 

Belfry's O sometimes does this to good teams. They scored in 2 plays against us in the season opener. It may be vanilla, but they do it so well up there. I left there a Belfry fan, I like the way they play the game. Reminds me of Corbin teams of old, good memories.

I didnt see the game in question so I dont know what happened. However, most of the time, it isnt totally the winning coach's fault. The coach on the losing end can do a lot to keep the score down as well. A case in point was about six years ago(I wont mention either team by name for sake of embarrassing either), an, at best, average team from Southeast Ky was playing a team from the North that had just started football. The average team jumped on them very fast(picked 2 off returned for scores and a punt returned for a score)....they were subbing in the second quarter. Keep in mind that they only had 27 dressed so they basically had the cheerleaders in, but the young team kept on throwing the ball with the clock stopping on every incompletion. In most cases, they werent taking 30 seconds off the clock with each possession and this scenario continued. It was the case of a very young, inexperienced coach who didnt realize that he wasnt helping their cause any. So, as I said, a coach on the bad end of a blowout can help himself as much as the opposition coach. I would also say that I have been watching football over 35 years in this state and have ran into VERY few coaches who deliberately "run up" the score. Also in defense of the coaches, players should never be instructed not to play their hardest while in the game. This may be one of the only chances a young player gets substantial time in a varsity game and the should be coached the same as the frontliners. I know some will disagree with this but there it is.

As long as a team is playing their best, there is nothing to be ashamed of. I would rather see a team be outscored by 80 points and play thier guts out than see a team outscore another team by 80 points and not try. This being said, as long as a coach puts in the reserves when the running clock starts, you can not fault the coaches or the players for "running up the score". As long as the coach and the team are doing their best while being beat, and the winning team has their reserves in, you can not tell me that the score is being run up. Someone earlier made some suggestions on how a team could not run up the score and what should be done...IMO, that is crap. All the young men should have a chance to play and play their best. As someone else pointed out earlier, this may be the only time that the reserves see any playing time. Why tell them not to play their hearts out? Sometimes there are going to be blowouts...I know it does not feel good to be on the receiving end of this, however, as I said before, as long as the team just did not give up and still played with everything they had, there is nothing to be ashamed of!!!

Were you at the game?

 

GREAT first line!!!!!

 

It always cracks me up when people call out a team and coach for running up the scorer when they were not even there and have no clue about the scoring ect. Then most times we get an explanation in the thread of what really happened.

 

Sometimes you just can't help from scoring no matter what.

Running up the score will happen if you play a strong team against a weak team. IMO they should have paired teams better when they redistricted everyone. I thought things were fine till they changed that it kinda made a mess of things.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.