Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does It Bother You

Featured Replies

Personally, if they are going to allow four teams to make the playoffs, I would rather see the number 1 seed play the number 3 seed in the first round and the number 2 seed play the number 4 seed. This my stop some of the huge scores, plus it seems better to me, the number three seed is the only team who could claim that they rightfully belong in the playoffs other then the number 1 and 2 seeds (especially in the four team districts), and they get a crack at the number 1 seed, plus it seems like a little better match up to me.

 

I still say if they are going to allow four teams per district into the playoffs, then they should just allow everyone in and play a single elimination tournament, it would only add one game to the playoffs and everyone would still get a shot. One 2A team, in the entire state, not making the playoffs still does not make sense to me.

  • Replies 56
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At some point well before the game was over, Coach Hilton came over to the bench and said, "Who's not been in yet?". There was not one player that came forward. He couldn't find anyone because there was no one left on the sideline who had not already been in the game. The entire team played that night! I don't think too many other teams in the state of Kentucky can say that?!

Sometimes it just can't be helped.

 

I just came home from the Belfry/Magoffin game early. It was 42-0 at halftime. Magoffin had run 34 plays and had about 75 yards. Belfry had run 10 plays. TEN plays and they had about 250 yards and 6 touchdowns running a very vanilla offense.

 

Now, they did start to sub in the 2nd quarter and I'm sure that continued in the 2nd half. But sometimes your 2nd string is still that much better than the other team and scores like the Bell Co score is unavoidable.

 

If you weren't there, you have no business accusing the coaching staff of running up the score. To me, THAT is uncalled for.

 

And the final score was 42-14, and could very well have been alot worse, if they wanted to run up the score.

And every kid played in this game, JV and Freshmen most of the second half.

I'm not going to apologize for my opinion that "teams" do not need to run up the score. Sorry...won't happen.

 

It's always good when you are the team that is on top...

 

And hopefully the kids on the losing teams will remember the burn they felt and work their tails off to return the favor next year. Hopefully the losing school administrators will remember the hurt their kids felt and make a greater committment to football in the future. Hopefully the losing school coaches will remember it to and work harder to prepare future teams. If all those things dont happen, then they are to blame for future blowouts, not the winning teams.

At some point well before the game was over, Coach Hilton came over to the bench and said, "Who's not been in yet?". There was not one player that came forward. He couldn't find anyone because there was no one left on the sideline who had not already been in the game. The entire team played that night! I don't think too many other teams in the state of Kentucky can say that?!

 

How many were suited up for Bell Co.?

Somewhere around 30-35. That is all they dressed all year included 8-10 freshman. You are talking about a team with 6 seniors.

Somewhere around 30-35. That is all they dressed all year included 8-10 freshman. You are talking about a team with 6 seniors.

 

That surprises me that they would only have 6-10 kids in each class.

At some point well before the game was over, Coach Hilton came over to the bench and said, "Who's not been in yet?". There was not one player that came forward. He couldn't find anyone because there was no one left on the sideline who had not already been in the game. The entire team played that night! I don't think too many other teams in the state of Kentucky can say that?!

 

If Bell has only 30-35 players as stated earlier then that would be fairly easy to get everyone in the game. Actually I would expect that to happen "almost" every week with only 30-35 kids. At the HHS game this week, they had somewhere around 65 kids dressed and I would bet that each kid played in their win. That was with a running clock with 9 miin. in the second half. So i don't think it's that much of a stretch to play everybody in the first round of the playoffs except for the "BIG" schools of course. Way too many players.

How many were suited up for Bell Co.?

 

It looks like they dressed around 35 players.

Playoff Wk 1 - McCreary 004.jpg

Sometimes it just can't be helped.

 

I just came home from the Belfry/Magoffin game early. It was 42-0 at halftime. Magoffin had run 34 plays and had about 75 yards. Belfry had run 10 plays. TEN plays and they had about 250 yards and 6 touchdowns running a very vanilla offense.

 

Now, they did start to sub in the 2nd quarter and I'm sure that continued in the 2nd half. But sometimes your 2nd string is still that much better than the other team and scores like the Bell Co score is unavoidable.

If you weren't there, you have no business accusing the coaching staff of running up the score. To me, THAT is uncalled for.

 

Watusi the part that I have highlighted was exactly what I was talking about in my ealier post. I have seen games likw the one that you have describedand there is not much a coach can do. Like I said, a coach cannot tell a kid to go out on the field and not try.

If Bell has only 30-35 players as stated earlier then that would be fairly easy to get everyone in the game. Actually I would expect that to happen "almost" every week with only 30-35 kids. At the HHS game this week, they had somewhere around 65 kids dressed and I would bet that each kid played in their win. That was with a running clock with 9 miin. in the second half. So i don't think it's that much of a stretch to play everybody in the first round of the playoffs except for the "BIG" schools of course. Way too many players.

 

I'm sure it would be more difficult to get in 65 players vs. 35 players. The point of the comment was that Bell played everyone available and should not have been accused of running up the score.

Personally, if they are going to allow four teams to make the playoffs, I would rather see the number 1 seed play the number 3 seed in the first round and the number 2 seed play the number 4 seed. This my stop some of the huge scores, plus it seems better to me, the number three seed is the only team who could claim that they rightfully belong in the playoffs other then the number 1 and 2 seeds (especially in the four team districts), and they get a crack at the number 1 seed, plus it seems like a little better match up to me.

 

I still say if they are going to allow four teams per district into the playoffs, then they should just allow everyone in and play a single elimination tournament, it would only add one game to the playoffs and everyone would still get a shot. One 2A team, in the entire state, not making the playoffs still does not make sense to me.

 

I still favor just (2) teams from each district making the playoffs. This imo would make the regular season mean more than just playoff seeding. Then the regular season would mean that you (a team) earned the right to the playoffs by their play.

Another option that I had thought of would be 3 teams from each district making the playoffs and the team with the best district record getting a round 1 (1st week) bye.

Hey Ram, wouldn't things run much smoother is the KHSAA would just listen to us?? :scared: :lol:

If one team is that much better than their opponent, and they play everyone on their bench during the game, and they are not throwing the ball deep or running flea-flickers and such, they are not running up the score. They are simply alot better. If the better team keeps starters in once the game is out of hand, or they run "big" plays, then they may be running it up.

 

It is not acceptable for someone to insist that 2nd and 3rd team players not play their hardest in order to minimize margin or victory. Those players practice and play hard, as is expected. Their parents sit in the stands and root for their kids the same as the starters' parents do. As an official I have had coaches request that we call phantom fouls to keep the score from getting higher. I refuse to do that. I will not take away a TD scored by the 3rd string tailback who ran up the middle for 30 yards by making up fouls. Coaches can keep the score down by appropriate play calling, or substituting players. Sometimes coaches do that, and the score still grows. So be it.

I agree totally with the ref! I have seen games that the coach tries as hard as he can to not run up the score but it ends up being 60-6. After you are up by about 40 then you can call the dogs off.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.