Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does It Bother You

Featured Replies

To see teams score 70+ points in games? I noticed that Bell County beat McCreary 72-0 and I just can't bring myself to pat Bell on the back. Beating someone like this, to me, is uncalled for. I understand that sometimes teams just score no matter what but I also understand that some coaches like to be butt holes and run up the score. If Dudley gets this done to him...no pity here.:madman:

 

What does this prove? This is not the pros...these kids don't get paid to do this.

  • Replies 56
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really dont see any need for teams to run up the score during the regular season but once the playoffs begin I have no problem with it. Unfortunately with teams that are 2-8, 1-9 and even 0-10 in the playoffs, we will see more scores like this.

To see teams score 70+ points in games? I noticed that Bell County beat McCreary 72-0 and I just can't bring myself to pat Bell on the back. Beating someone like this, to me, is uncalled for. I understand that sometimes teams just score no matter what but I also understand that some coaches like to be butt holes and run up the score. If Dudley gets this done to him...no pity here.:madman:

 

What does this prove? This is not the pros...these kids don't get paid to do this.

Were you at the game? Bell Co. should never have been matched against such a team...but the KHSAA has dictated this with "everybody in the playoffs" mindset. This was McCreary's first playoff game. Bell County scored 22 points in the first six minutes of the game. They were on a 176-0 pace! Bell's starting QB set out the entire game nursing a concussion from last week. Bell's first score was by a freshman running back. Three or more freshman scored and probably ten or more different players scored. You have to play your starters for at least the first half in order to be ready for round two in the playoffs. Bell's freshman team played most of last half. Bell ran backwards and took a knee when could have scored...setting up Merrick's attempt at state record 59 yd. field goal at end of first half which McCreary blocked! Score was 52-0, I believe, at that time, at the half. This is a dilemma for a team like Bell. You have to get ready for the next week. You cannot take a knee in first half on every drive. The clock ran the entire second half and ended things quickly. Freshman scored three times. Middlesboro paper said that Bell scored on every offensive possession. They also had several defensive scores or defense set up imminent score. Bell was ready to score again....but took knee and ran out clock in second half. This is the playoffs! Dudley was more than gracious, while at the same time getting his team ready for the next week/weeks. This was only Bell's fourth home game. Bell's fan's deserved to get to see their team in action. Instead they got a glimpse....and then watched the undefeated JV and Freshman teams go to work! Were you at the game? If not...your accusations are extremely unfair and the Bobcat coaches and players deserve an apology. This was a clean played game. No unsportsmanlike or personal foul penalties. Bell players were picking up McCreary guys from ground, etc. all night. I'm sorry the score was lopsided.....but these are the playoffs and Bell took it as easy as could have been done. There will be a lot of other games like this with teams with 0-10 records, etc. in playoffs. I believe McCreary had won three games! Read the Middlesboro Daily News article when its posted on their site.....Dudley did NOT run up the score!

  • Author

I'm not going to apologize for my opinion that "teams" do not need to run up the score. Sorry...won't happen.

 

It's always good when you are the team that is on top...

Well said Coach Landry!! Good luck to Bell Co. the rest off the playoffs, I always root for the teams from the mountains!!

It's only running up the score if they are leaving the starters in too long or running trick plays at that point in the game. It's not the winning coach's job to tell his kids not to play as hard as they can. If he has in the subs - he's done his job ethically. IMO.

some coaches like to be butt holes and run up the score. If Dudley gets this done to him...no pity here.:madman:

 

Your opinion is acceptable and valid. That's what these threads are about. I agree with you that teams should not run up the score. Bell could have done so many times this year....but followed the same scenario as last night. The apology I asked for was for the personal attack on Coach Hilton...undeserved and unsupported...last night for sure, and I think most other times He does not run up score on opponents.

It's only running up the score if they are leaving the starters in too long or running trick plays at that point in the game. It's not the winning coach's job to tell his kids not to play as hard as they can. If he has in the subs - he's done his job ethically. IMO.

Thank you, Plato. Always appreciate the wisdom of Athens.

It's only running up the score if they are leaving the starters in too long or running trick plays at that point in the game. It's not the winning coach's job to tell his kids not to play as hard as they can. If he has in the subs - he's done his job ethically. IMO.

 

I totally agree with you on this.

  • Author

Ok...Nothing personal...I apologize for bringing up Coach D...I am for all mountain schools also, so I guess my statement about Dudley and Bell getting it stuck to them was uncalled for.

 

I guess that Bell's score was the first one that I saw and I went with it.

 

I feel for the kids....that's all.

I cannot stand to see anyone "run up the score".

 

Now .....if a coach from the team that is scoring so much pulls his starters as soon as he can and plays everyone that he has on the team all the way down the line and plays those reserves a lot, does not continue to "obviously" run it up by throwing the ball, etc. then there is not much that a coach can do.

You cannot tell a kid to go out on the field and not try.

I hope that "Running the score Up" deliberately was not what took place here. I obviously didn't see the game so I cannot "trash" a coach w/o knowing 1st hand and that he ran it up deliberately.

 

I have seen some "ego maniac" coaches do this in the past and it is classless.

It's only running up the score if they are leaving the starters in too long or running trick plays at that point in the game. It's not the winning coach's job to tell his kids not to play as hard as they can. If he has in the subs - he's done his job ethically. IMO.

 

:thumb:

The KHSAA needs to re-look things in football again. There is know way these teams that have 0-10, 1-9, 2-8, and 3-7 records should be making the post season. When you take a team like that and put them up against a good team those are the kind of scores you are going to get. Its bad enough that those teams had to get beat that bad during the regular season, now the KHSAA has them playing that same team and getting beat that bad or alot of the time worse in the play-offs. In most cases niether team wants to play that game a second time

Ok...Nothing personal...I apologize for bringing up Coach D...I am for all mountain schools also, so I guess my statement about Dudley and Bell getting it stuck to them was uncalled for.

 

I guess that Bell's score was the first one that I saw and I went with it.

 

I feel for the kids....that's all.

 

Thanks, Scat,

We Bell fans felt for the kids as well. There had been a lot of talk about the excitement of coming to Bell...but we counted 38 fans on the visitor's bleachers. I'm sure that there were fans on the ground, but not many. Our fans were enjoying the night....honoring all Seniors (except football...did that in regular season) cheerleaders, band, etc. It was great playoff atmosphere. Exciting to watch our kids do well....but we hurt for the McCreary kids. They were small and played with heart, but Bell is a much better team than a lot of people have believe this year. I think they will go all the way to Louisville, if they keep hitting on all cylinders. Let's bring another title back to the Mountains. In fact....maybe this year three or four of the six!!!

This is what a six class, everybody into the pool configuration gets you. What was Bell supposed to do? Start their Freshman squad? Teams that have no business in the playoffs are going to get blown out. End of story.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.