Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Corbin football game atmosphere.

Featured Replies

What has happened to it? I remember when the stadium was full every week and you couldn't hear the person next to you talking to you. I have noticed the drop off but really hadn't paid much mind to it until the other day. I had some family in watching the Middlesboro game and they said, "For a tradition rich program with 5 state titles, it sure is dead in here nowadays." It has been that way since about the time we left the old district There would be games that drew crowds but not every Friday night.

 

I would like to see the community shut down like it used to do on Friday nights. I would like to see the fans show up to Campbell Field and support the Redhounds. I think it absolutely sucks that such a talented team with such potential are only watched by 2 or 3,000 fans tops. There is no need that Campbell Field shouldn't be packed to the gills.

 

It's not just a school thing, Corbin Football represents the entire community and should be supported as such. For all of those who show up on Fridays and make noise, I applaud you. We here in this town shouldn't settle for a Rupp Arena like crowd where people just set on their hands. Make some noise and make Corbin Football what people know Corbin Football to be. Teams used to fear coming down here. It's sad that it's just another road game against a good team. It should be a terrifying event.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the school needs some new ideas? Make a trip to a Johnson Central home game and check out some of the things that they do. Outstanding atmosphere!!!

How much is the recent success of Lynn Camp and Knox Central playing into this?

  • Author

It's not playing into it any. With the teams not playing each other, everyone seems to wish each other well but it's not like Corbin is losing fans to LC and KC or vice versa. IT just seems like people are there for a social hour. There is never any music playing during timeouts, the band plays when the team runs onto the field instead of Welcome To The Jungle, and a good part of the fans seem to be more into cheering whenever something good happens. I'm not claiming to be a Super Fan by any means or saying that I'm better. I just think that fans should be loud the whole time their team is on defense, quiet when they are on offense, and loud when something good happens. It's like a funeral anymore until Corbin gets a big play.

 

I would also like to see more community events surround the program. I don't have the power to organize anything but it would be nice. Maybe something like a Community bon fire or pep rally before big games. I've seen the send offs for the team when they travel in the playoffs. There is no reason it can't be like that every week. I just think Coach Jewell and the kids put too much into it and don't get enough in return.

I have heard this talked about lately by a few Corbin alumni. We live on the outskirts of Corbin toward Grays and used to hear the music/crowd and PA all the way over here if you were outside, but not so much anymore. I went by there one night when we were open and it looked like a very sparse crowd. You used to not be able to drive near town when the Hounds were @ home. Seems the crowds are picking the "big" games now and ignoring what they perceive to be gimmes. Lynn Camp gets good sized crowds, but they are Campers and did not go to many Corbin games, so that dosen't account for the dip in attendance. We see a few Corbin fans at our games after theirs are over (we start later @ home than everyone else and probably there are a few family ties). I doubt that a lot of traffic came from B'ville for the Hounds games, either. I think it's just that there is more to do now and people are tending to opt out of the games unless they are having something special or a rival game. Sad part of growth.

You are absolutely correct about the intimidation factor of playing Corbin at Corbin. Its been quite a while since I have been there, but, having played there more than once, I can tell you that it was a scary place to play. That alone had to be worth a TD or more. When I was in school, a discussion of HS football wouldnt be complete without mentioning Corbin.

Hope it is a lot better atmosphere now compared to when we played there in the 80s. It was shameful and uncalled for to do and say what the fans did. The football team showed us nothing but class. And I have all the respect in the world for Corbin football. But I'll never forget the fans on that day.

It's not playing into it any. With the teams not playing each other, everyone seems to wish each other well but it's not like Corbin is losing fans to LC and KC or vice versa. IT just seems like people are there for a social hour. There is never any music playing during timeouts, the band plays when the team runs onto the field instead of Welcome To The Jungle, and a good part of the fans seem to be more into cheering whenever something good happens. I'm not claiming to be a Super Fan by any means or saying that I'm better. I just think that fans should be loud the whole time their team is on defense, quiet when they are on offense, and loud when something good happens. It's like a funeral anymore until Corbin gets a big play.

 

I would also like to see more community events surround the program. I don't have the power to organize anything but it would be nice. Maybe something like a Community bon fire or pep rally before big games. I've seen the send offs for the team when they travel in the playoffs. There is no reason it can't be like that every week. I just think Coach Jewell and the kids put too much into it and don't get enough in return.

 

The band didn't play at the North Laurel game because they weren't there.

I think part of it is a new generation where sports doesn't mean everything to everyone. Now I'm not nearly this old but if you think back to the perception of the 1940's and 50's every student came out to the games to cheer on the team even if they had never played, along with those students who didn't play usually a one if not both parents would come with their child to the game. That just doesn't happen anymore, look at the decrease in size of student sections at games. Many students who don't play sports today feel no obligation to come to the game and cheer on the school and if the kid isn't going the parents see no need in going either. In some cases that could account for 3 people per non-student athlete at the game.

  • Author
Hope it is a lot better atmosphere now compared to when we played there in the 80s. It was shameful and uncalled for to do and say what the fans did. The football team showed us nothing but class. And I have all the respect in the world for Corbin football. But I'll never forget the fans on that day.

 

I wasn't around back then but I heard stories have a good idea as to what you are referring to. I want to first hand apologize for anyone and their ignorant actions or hurtful words. There is no call for that kinda stuff as far as I'm concerned. I met you a couple years ago at the KY/TN game and you seem to be a great feller.

 

Unfortunately, our town has a reputation and an ugly one at that. On the fortunate side, that stereotype is dying off. Like any small southern town, there will be a small group of people who ruin the name for everyone else. Some folks are truly foolish and some carry on that way with no ill intent but for some reason they are being cute or funny by acting like that. That is no way of how we want our town to be viewed and there are no excuses for those morons.

 

I want Campbell Field to be an ugly atmosphere but ugly in the sense that our fans are loud and intimidating and our boys put a hurting each Friday on the opposing team (not literally hurting). Heckling from students to players and other student sections isn't bad and is a part of the high school experience but they can do that without being personal, racial, hurtful, and idiotic.

 

I just wanted to let you know that while I'm only one man, I can promise that those ways of the past are getting farther and farther away from the Corbin name. I'd love to have the Admirals come down here any year and play and would take it upon myself as a person to treat every player and fan with the utmost respect.

Yes I remember us meeting up at Commonwealth stadium that year. Long time No see (or Hear) from you. Yeah I hope those days are long gone. And I'm sure that you remember I've always been a fan of the Redhounds, and wish them nothing but the best each year. Do you remember the year we saw each other on the expressway going to the state games in Louisville??

  • Author

Sure do remember that, hope all is well with you. Hopefully we'll meet up this year in the playoffs for another epic Corbin/Danville battle. Good luck to yall.

Same to you and the Hounds.

What has happened to it? I remember when the stadium was full every week and you couldn't hear the person next to you talking to you. I have noticed the drop off but really hadn't paid much mind to it until the other day. I had some family in watching the Middlesboro game and they said, "For a tradition rich program with 5 state titles, it sure is dead in here nowadays." It has been that way since about the time we left the old district There would be games that drew crowds but not every Friday night.

 

I would like to see the community shut down like it used to do on Friday nights. I would like to see the fans show up to Campbell Field and support the Redhounds. I think it absolutely sucks that such a talented team with such potential are only watched by 2 or 3,000 fans tops. There is no need that Campbell Field shouldn't be packed to the gills.

 

It's not just a school thing, Corbin Football represents the entire community and should be supported as such. For all of those who show up on Fridays and make noise, I applaud you. We here in this town shouldn't settle for a Rupp Arena like crowd where people just set on their hands. Make some noise and make Corbin Football what people know Corbin Football to be. Teams used to fear coming down here. It's sad that it's just another road game against a good team. It should be a terrifying event.

 

Sure is a shame.....I remember that kind of atmosphere recently when Corbin and Bell Co. in 2006 fought to a draw....and then ending with an exciting game-winning kick by Bell Co.'s All-State kicker. What a game. One can only speculate how it would have been if the two had met this year with even better teams on the field of play. The Corbin fans were great, even in defeat that night. A tremendous atmosphere for a Friday night high school game. Local rivalries are huge in maintaining this kind of overall atmosphere and game spirit. Ending age-old rivalries such as the Bell Co.-Corbin rivalry can only add to the demise of the glory of the past.

Local rivalry games tend to have that type of atmosphere. Too bad Corbin don't have any of those anymore besides M'boro.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.