Highlands 32 Lex Cath 9

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Birds for traveling to LexCath and winning. The Birds need games like this to help them realize they are not invincible.

I tracked it on the live gamecast site for awhile and it seemed the LC defense was stuffing Connor/Cecil. Big Kickoff return by Hurtt probably sparked the Birds and was a big blow to LC.

IMO this was a real close game. Both defenses were playing really good in the first half. Lex Cath missed 2 field goals (3 tot) in the first half that could have put it to 11-9 at half. In the second half Lex Cath came out and scored and I flet they had some momentum going. Very next kickoff, it was taken to the house which might have switched the momentum back to Highlands. Very hard fought game that was close for a long time. Score imo doesnt indicate how close the game was. A couple key plays could have had the game going LC's way. Good luck to Highlands and the rest of the season.

A couple of thoughts...

1. It's very reassuring that Highlands has played in some hard-fought games this year (Trotwood-Madison, CovCath, and now LexCath) and has won all of them... you can't expect to win a state title by blowing out every single opponent.

2. Granted I'm not quite sure how HHS got their second-half points, but it sounds like their offense really struggled getting the ground game in high gear, something that happened to a degree in the CCH game. This makes me worry about how they will match up against a team like Bowling Green if both teams make it to the finals.

LCHS 1st Lane Pumphrey 38 yard field goal

HHS 2nd Drew Bathiany 42 yard field goal

HHS 2nd Clay Cecil 4 yard run (Drew Simons run)

LCHS 3rd Shane Israel 6 yard run (pass fails)

HHS 3rd Josh Conner 1 yard run (pass complete)

HHS 3rd Zach Hurtt 6 yard run (run fails)

HHS 4th Josh Conner 1 yard run (Bathiany kick)

One interesting stat was that Highlands had 116 yards rushing on 28 carries after three quarters and ended up with 263 yards on 40 carries for the game. Josh Conner carried the ball 14 times for 139 yards, Clay Cecil 17 carries for 64 yards and Zach Hurtt 7 carries for 60 yards per WL Stats. Excellent second half for the Bluebirds.

One interesting stat was that Highlands had 116 yards rushing on 28 carries after three quarters and ended up with 263 yards on 40 carries for the game. Josh Conner carried the ball 14 times for 139 yards, Clay Cecil 17 carries for 64 yards and Zach Hurtt 7 carries for 60 yards per WL Stats. Excellent second half for the Bluebirds.

4th quarter was all Highlands. I think LexCath's D may have worn down as the holes that were not there earlier were there in the 4th quarter. I kind of questioned LCs trying that last field goal. That miss really seemed to take the air out of them. Great road win for the Birds 8-0 more than half way there boys. Keep the focus during bye week!:dancingpa