Court Identifies Eleven Inaccuracies in Al Gore’s ‘An Inconvenient Truth’

The British government decided that it would be a good idea to send copies of Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth to all schools, with then Environment Secretary (now Foreign Secretary) David Miliband declaring that “the debate over science is over.”

A truck driver and school governor, Stuart Dimmock, took the government to court, alleging that the film portrays “partisan political views.”

In order for the film to be shown, the Government must first amend their Guidance Notes to Teachers to make clear that 1.) The Film is a political work and promotes only one side of the argument. 2.) If teachers present the Film without making this plain they may be in breach of section 406 of the Education Act 1996 and guilty of political indoctrination. 3.) Eleven inaccuracies have to be specifically drawn to the attention of school children.

Here are the inaccuracies.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The British government decided that it would be a good idea to send copies of Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth to all schools, with then Environment Secretary (now Foreign Secretary) David Miliband declaring that “the debate over science is over.”

A truck driver and school governor, Stuart Dimmock, took the government to court, alleging that the film portrays “partisan political views.”

In order for the film to be shown, the Government must first amend their Guidance Notes to Teachers to make clear that 1.) The Film is a political work and promotes only one side of the argument. 2.) If teachers present the Film without making this plain they may be in breach of section 406 of the Education Act 1996 and guilty of political indoctrination. 3.) Eleven inaccuracies have to be specifically drawn to the attention of school children.

Here are the inaccuracies.

It's too bad that teachers in this country are free to politically indoctrinate our school children. There is no excuse for allowing fictional works like Gore's movie to be used in a science curriculum. Thank you for posting the link.

:thumb: Here is my personal favorite, I don't know if this one was in the movie, but I know Gore has cited it:

The other elements of the global-warming scare scenario are predicated on similar oversights. Malaria, claimed as a byproduct of [global] warming, was once common in Michigan and Siberia and remains common in Siberia--mosquitoes don't require tropical warmth.

One of the reasons that I have never bothered to watch Mr. Gore's movie is that I expect it to be propaganda. The fact that the movie contains propaganda, exageration or speculation does not do anything to prove or disprove global warming. The scientific evidence I have seen supports the general idea of an increase in global temperatures and that human activity contributes to that increase. How much and how soon is speculation.

:thumb: Here is my personal favorite, I don't know if this one was in the movie, but I know Gore has cited it:

I'm so sick of this global warming crap. I saw something the other day that said in the mid '70's people were worried about a cooling climate bringing on another ice age.

The climate on the earth fluctuates over time. It happens. We've now turned that into a political agenda. It also sickens me to hear these global warming proponents spout the line about "The overwhelming majority in the scientific community supports this view." That is just not true.

I'm so sick of this global warming crap. I saw something the other day that said in the mid '70's people were worried about a cooling climate bringing on another ice age.

The climate on the earth fluctuates over time. It happens. We've now turned that into a political agenda. It also sickens me to hear these global warming proponents spout the line about "The overwhelming majority in the scientific community supports this view." That is just not true.

From the link I gave earlier...

Most of the climate community has agreed since 1988 that global mean temperatures have increased on the order of one degree Fahrenheit over the past century, having risen significantly from about 1919 to 1940, decreased between 1940 and the early '70s, increased again until the '90s, and remaining essentially flat since 1998.

• 1 month later...

Finally saw it today. I'm terrified! This was shown in my BIO 102 class(Global Warming Propaganda class.....err....Human Ecology).

The image of the drowning polar bears sure makes me sad, but I found out that they died from a violent storm, unfortunately, and, when Gore said that they had to swin 60 miles to ice (which according to him aided their death) I found that they can go about 100 miles no problem.

I tell you what, I am all for saving energy, carpooling, using energy efficient appliances, kind of iffy on hybrid cars (but definently prefer using cars with a lot of MPG), but I sure don't like all the money being unnecessarily spent on this crap when we have so much more to worry about!