PC's Hines Upset With Bowl

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to figure out why SWHS and PC continue to play in this bowl year after year and Somerset never plays at either of their places. As far as records go, the two teams (SHS and PC) do not even play in the same district so I doubt their records are comparable. Considering PC has beaten Somerset two of the three times they have played them in the bowl; had they played in the same district I would think their records might be comparable. Pulaski may not have had the greatest record over the past two years in their district but at least they didn't jump classes to avoid the competition. As far as the article goes, coach Hines just said what a lot of others were thinking.

I have yet to figure out why SWHS and PC continue to play in this bowl year after year and Somerset never plays at either of their places. As far as records go, the two teams (SHS and PC) do not even play in the same district so I doubt their records are comparable. Considering PC has beaten Somerset two of the three times they have played them in the bowl; had they played in the same district I would think their records might be comparable. Pulaski may not have had the greatest record over the past two years in their district but at least they didn't jump classes to avoid the competition. As far as the article goes, coach Hines just said what a lot of others were thinking.

They continue to play because of the revenue this event puts in their athletic programs. Also add that both SW and PC are basically getting another home game type atmosphere every year on there schedule without taking away a home game from there schedule. Thus one less away game that they have to travel to or one more home game, however you want to look at it. I like the Ray Correll Bowl and the way it is put on. I think that all involved benefit from the event both financially and from the fan stand point. I'm not for sure if Pulaski helps any with the coordination but do know that SW helps tremendously with there JROTC program working the parking detail. For those of you who went would say that is no small task with all of the people that attended--would like to know a figure. As for your statement suggesting Somerset jumped classes to avoid competition, we could argue this until the Guru personally makes a trip to Somerset and unplugs our computers himself. Somerset still has the likes of Breathitt Co, Russell, Prestonsburg, and Belfry to deal with on a yearly basis. PC has beaten Somerset 2 out of 3 times in the Ray Correll Bowl, anyone with any football sense looking from the outside would say that PC should beat Somerset most of the time each teams play, as of yet this has not happened (overall record). This is a true testiment to how well the Somerset program is and the support it gets from the community- a much smaller school annually competing with much larger schools. You claim that the article sais what many others wanted to say, please tell me what this is? Imo this bowl is a class act bowl that showcases all three local school in one night. Johnny has done nothing more than try to start an uproar among the two programs, his problems should have been handled between the two AD's, not the Commonwealth Journal. What were going to get now is people taking cheap shots at each other in the Opinion section of the paper.

Outstanding Jumper1. I could not have said that better at all.

They continue to play because of the revenue this event puts in their athletic programs. Also add that both SW and PC are basically getting another home game type atmosphere every year on there schedule without taking away a home game from there schedule. Thus one less away game that they have to travel to or one more home game, however you want to look at it. I like the Ray Correll Bowl and the way it is put on. I think that all involved benefit from the event both financially and from the fan stand point. I'm not for sure if Pulaski helps any with the coordination but do know that SW helps tremendously with there JROTC program working the parking detail. For those of you who went would say that is no small task with all of the people that attended--would like to know a figure. As for your statement suggesting Somerset jumped classes to avoid competition, we could argue this until the Guru personally makes a trip to Somerset and unplugs our computers himself. Somerset still has the likes of Breathitt Co, Russell, Prestonsburg, and Belfry to deal with on a yearly basis. PC has beaten Somerset 2 out of 3 times in the Ray Correll Bowl, anyone with any football sense looking from the outside would say that PC should beat Somerset most of the time each teams play, as of yet this has not happened (overall record). This is a true testiment to how well the Somerset program is and the support it gets from the community- a much smaller school annually competing with much larger schools. You claim that the article sais what many others wanted to say, please tell me what this is? Imo this bowl is a class act bowl that showcases all three local school in one night. Johnny has done nothing more than try to start an uproar among the two programs, his problems should have been handled between the two AD's, not the Commonwealth Journal. What were going to get now is people taking cheap shots at each other in the Opinion section of the paper.

The big thing to me is, why were those kids not fed after the game? 3 other teams got food that night & 1 did not. It doesn't matter that it was 2:45am, those kids deserved to have some food. And, yes, it probably is the worst field conditions I have seen. They actually painted the dirt green to cover up the mess.

The field was not painted green. They wouldnt do that. That was grass that was just put down wed. As for the food aspect. Somerset was not fed afterthe game as we have not been for the last 4 years. Rockcastle was fed but there own Boosters paid for it I believe. I can't speak for Southwestern because I dont know. But I dont think they were fed either. There has never been food distributed to the teams after the game. Its not like the schools live 45 minutes away. They live in the county. They can be like Somerset and go get themselves food after the game.

I have said this before and I will repeat on this thread. The bigest Fault that Somerset - The Head Coach in particular- saying that this game meant more to Pc than to Somerset. Does this mean he didn't do his job and get them ready? Does it mean that he didn't want to play the original crosstown rival? Or is that he is arrogant and would rather -and I know I will get for saying it this way- throw his players under the bus than give PC credit for beating him. Again like I said, I have respect for the way his players played their guts out through cramps and fatigue, and by saying it didn't mean anything and that it was PC's "Super Bowl" was absolutely innapropriate and wrong! And no matter what Hines said after Cobb utter those words, He (Cobb) was wrong for saying that and should be appropriately Admonished for it by not only the PC faithful but also his own administration/fans. Again I know I will take it on the chin for saying this but I would have to question his commitment to the program after investigating any of the above scenarios. Either he did his job and got his team ready to open the season or he didn't, I would like to which it was, because I believe the guy at PC did his job and got his team ready and has stood by his team through all of disparaging comments.

Maybe Somerset should invite Covington Holy Cross or NCC to the Correll Bowl.

Well I know almost every BGP poster that claims to follow Somerset was either at or played in the games vs. NCC, and with that said we all will agree I think that when NCC beat us handily in 05 and won in 06 we were treated first class. No bashing, no bragging, and no other junk. NCC would be a first class team to begin the season with every year. Win or lose, it's good preparation and a classy opponent. Although I'm not sure how serious you were, I wouldn't mind to see that happen.

Better yet, we'll play SWHS, and let Johnny play the Breds. :rolleyes:

I have said this before and I will repeat on this thread. The bigest Fault that Somerset - The Head Coach in particular- saying that this game meant more to Pc than to Somerset. Does this mean he didn't do his job and get them ready? Does it mean that he didn't want to play the original crosstown rival? Or is that he is arrogant and would rather -and I know I will get for saying it this way- throw his players under the bus than give PC credit for beating him. Again like I said, I have respect for the way his players played their guts out through cramps and fatigue, and by saying it didn't mean anything and that it was PC's "Super Bowl" was absolutely innapropriate and wrong! And no matter what Hines said after Cobb utter those words, He (Cobb) was wrong for saying that and should be appropriately Admonished for it by not only the PC faithful but also his own administration/fans. Again I know I will take it on the chin for saying this but I would have to question his commitment to the program after investigating any of the above scenarios. Either he did his job and got his team ready to open the season or he didn't, I would like to which it was, because I believe the guy at PC did his job and got his team ready and has stood by his team through all of disparaging comments.

Actually it is just you. Cobb went out of the way to take the blame for the team not being ready to play, he did not throw his team under the bus at all:

Afterwards, Jumper head coach Jay Cobb put all the blame on the loss exactly where he said it should be placed — on himself.

"We didn’t play very well and this is (Pulaski’s) Super Bowl,” Cobb stated. “It’s a big game to them and maybe our kids didn’t take this game as an important as they should have, and that is my fault.”

“When you look at this loss, it is all on me,” Cobb admitted. “Obviously, everyone was cramping tonight and we were cramping badly. That comes down to coaching, because maybe we were not in the kind of shape we needed to be in.”

“We were awful all night,” stated Cobb very matter of factly. “It was just terrible coaching on my part. I mean absolutely atrocious.”

“We didn’t take care of the football on kickoffs and special teams,” Cobb lamented. “We gave them field position I don’t know how many times, and we never could get good field position ourselves.”

Those are the quotes from the paper that Cobb issued after the game. In no way does he insult Pulaski--instead he blames himself for poorly preparing his team for the Maroons. Coach Hines meanwhile did nothing but disparage Somerset, its facilities, and its fans and administration. Meanwhile he made untrue comments about the food after the game and complained about the lockerroom when no request was made to use any other lockerroom on the grounds. His comments are classless and inexcusable. I encourage everyone to read Cobb's comments above and follow the link at the beginning of the thread and make your own judgements as to what was and what was not appropriate.

Well I know almost every BGP poster that claims to follow Somerset was either at or played in the games vs. NCC, and with that said we all will agree I think that when NCC beat us handily in 05 and won in 06 we were treated first class. No bashing, no bragging, and no b.s. NCC would be a first class team to begin the season with every year. Win or lose, it's good preparation and a classy opponent. Although I'm not sure how serious you were, I wouldn't mind to see that happen.

Better yet, we'll play SWHS, and let Johnny play the Breds. :rolleyes:

I don't think that was meant to be an offer, it was a public/private swipe that has no business in this thread.

Well, of course. Swipe or not, I would rather play NCC than PCHS if this stuff is going to go on.

Post #57 AJG, I couldn't agree more. I was in and out of that lockerroom for 6 years. I can vouch for the integrity and class Jay Cobb has. When Somerset beats PC...it's a game. When PC beats Somerset, it's a peeing contest in the newspapers and smack talking on/off the field. There's something wrong there. Pulaski's last two victories over Somerset are by a combined 2 TDs. I'm sure the 2005 group from Somerset (42-19) would love to be able to come back and participate in Johnny's carnival. It's pathetic that when PC actually musters a decent enough game plan to beat Somerset they ride it for a whole year. For a school with such a terrible field, terrible hospitality, terrible coaching, terrible game prep, and an absolute moron for a coach, you wouldn't think PC would be too proud to beat terrible lil' ol' Somerset. Hines' intents are so impure and ignorant it's obvious. He didn't have much to say in 2005. Same field. Same teams. Bad beating. You've got two years until we meet again John. Run with it. Soak it up.