PC's Hines Upset With Bowl

Obviously it wouldn't be called the Correll Bowl. Pulaski (and SW for that matter) would like to host Somerset at their fields for a change, instead of Somerset making all the cash.

And yes, I know the money is split between the schools, but there has always been some rumblings at the county schools about the gate.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The big thing to me is, why were those kids not fed after the game? 3 other teams got food that night & 1 did not. It doesn't matter that it was 2:45am, those kids deserved to have some food. And, yes, it probably is the worst field conditions I have seen. They actually painted the dirt green to cover up the mess.

I see two valid complaints, assuming Hines' claims are true:

A. No locker room facilities for each team. If you're going to host three other schools in a bowl-game setup, you should have a separate dressing area for each team.

B. Not feeding the team after the game, especially if the three others were fed. Still, the story doesn't explain all the circumstances, which is why getting Somerset's side of the story would have been appropriate.

Sounds like Hines has a burr in his saddle about his alma mater ... feeling his oats after a surprising win, perhaps?

These comments were made for three reasons:

A. Hines was upset about Cobb's "Superbowl" comments following the game.

B. The folks at Pulaski want a shot at hosting the Correll Bowl once their stadium is complete.

C. Hines is trying to goad Somerset into playing again next year for obvious reasons.

I can see this. I do feel that Somerset overlooked the Maroons a little bit. I don't think Cobb was trying to take a slap a Pulaski when he said it. After all Pulaski was coming off of consecutive 2-9 seasons while Somerset was coming off 21 wins and consecutive State-Semifinal appearances and was ranked in 3A. The expectations were much higher at Somerset than Pulaski. Should Somerset have placed more emphasis on the game--probably but a lot of what Hines said was just classless. Somerset only has 2 lockerrooms at the field. Hines has known this forever--let's be realistic. Do you think he would have been happy changing over at the middle school or baseball lockerroom and then having to walk his team across the parking lot and then around the field? I think we both know the answer to that. Did he even ask for a different changing facility or is just using that as another opportunity to gripe? The field was not in the shape that it should have been in to play the games. However, it was guaranteed by the firm that seeded it that it would be. Some unforseen circumstances led to its condition--however it was not unsafe--just unsightly. I don't know the full story on why the team wasn't fed after the game or whether Somerset was indeed fed after the game but I'm sure we will soon. Either way if I were a coach whose team had been out there since 7pm in that heat and after the lightning delay at 245am I would rather my team be getting home anyway. These are just classless statements from a coach I have lost all respect for. Using them to try and get to host a bowl or goading a team into playing makes them even worse.

It looks like Coach Hines is really upset about the comment made by SHS coach saying that this game was the SUPER BOWL for Pulski kids and Johnny is just protecting his players EARNED right to feel happy about it. I know Coach Cobb well and I am sure he regretted saying that. I think the locker room situation should have been addressed before the game and not this week. It would be absurd to ask our boys(Rock) to rush out of the lockerrom after a hard fought victory in 100 degree heat. I am sure if Hines had complained this loudly he would have been in the baseball lockerrom or somewhere else. but SHS cannot just invent space to allow all 4 teams to change. The victory for PC was huge and I feel that Johnny's bellaching has tarnished it a little. My advice for Somerset is to take the high road it seems that in football and the egos that are spilling out that road is definitely less traveled.:flame:

I can see this. I do feel that Somerset overlooked the Maroons a little bit. I don't think Cobb was trying to take a slap a Pulaski when he said it. After all Pulaski was coming off of consecutive 2-9 seasons while Somerset was coming off 21 wins and consecutive State-Semifinal appearances and was ranked in 3A. The expectations were much higher at Somerset than Pulaski. Should Somerset have placed more emphasis on the game--probably but a lot of what Hines said was just classless. Somerset only has 2 lockerrooms at the field. Hines has known this forever--let's be realistic. Do you think he would have been happy changing over at the middle school or baseball lockerroom and then having to walk his team across the parking lot and then around the field? I think we both know the answer to that. Did he even ask for a different changing facility or is just using that as another opportunity to gripe? The field was not in the shape that it should have been in to play the games. However, it was guaranteed by the firm that seeded it that it would be. Some unforseen circumstances led to its condition--however it was not unsafe--just unsightly. I don't know the full story on why the team wasn't fed after the game or whether Somerset was indeed fed after the game but I'm sure we will soon. Either way if I were a coach whose team had been out there since 7pm in that heat and after the lightning delay at 245am I would rather my team be getting home anyway. These are just classless statements from a coach I have lost all respect for. Using them to try and get to host a bowl or goading a team into playing makes them even worse.

With all due respect AJG that was exactly what he did whether he meant to or not. If I were Pulaski that is exactly how I would have taken, but I hope that I would not have responded with the silliness that Coach Panama Jack did. I doubt that SHS will be taking any Football advice from a team that has won 4 games in the last 2 years. I am happy for PC because as an observer I thought their players played harder and were more prepared than SHS and they deserved to win, but to come out on Wednesday and berate the tournament is ABSOLUTELY CLASSLESS.:devil:

Classless is a harsh word to use. Pulaski just wants the opportunity to host Somerset, I would imagine. I don't agree with everything Hines said, but I don't know the whole story, either.

The field was pretty bad. More of a Dust Bowl, than a Ray Correll Bowl.

And if Somerset said they would feed the PC team after the game, they should have. I'm sure those PC kids were just as hungry as the SHS kids, and I'm sure the SHS kids got fed. Everyone should be treated the same. Whether it be a locker room, a meal, or whatever. Do that, and there shouldn't be any backlash. This is what gives schools bad names and causes animosity between the organizations.

Classless is a harsh word to use. Pulaski just wants the opportunity to host Somerset, I would imagine. I don't agree with everything Hines said, but I don't know the whole story, either.

After reading the article the shoe fits in this case and Hines words were every bit as harsh. If he wanted a chance to host Somerset he could have done it without all the shots. Did he ask for a place to change and was denied or did he simply choose to take shots? It has come to my attention that SHS players were not fed either. That makes his statements not only classless but also untrue--even worse.

I agree with Jumper1 and will not talk about the locker room situation since I am not involved with that aspect of SHS and am not in on that decision making and will let the other talk about that. Johnny needs to get a life on some issues if they are the biggest issues he has and if they are insurmountable then get out of the bowl all together have his own bowl at his field whoopee freaking heeee. Do I want that no, but that man has issues many way to many. I know things weren't perfect for him at the games and some are things I'm sure that should have not happened and should be fixed even, but why were they in the paper. There are these things call the phones. Wow what an invention. He needs to call, yeah call the administration at Somerset and I don't know talk to them with the "real problems" of his game this past Friday. #1 the field. Last I checked humm this oh I don't know freaking 100+ temps are not helping this issue with that field. It was redone. Is it perfect? No it’s not, not at all. If this was last year maybe just maybe the it would have turned out fine for the game, but it didn't. Got a big issue with it sorry it happened that way its the past move on.... #2 walking around the track. Well we are not alone with that walk around the track as pointed by others here. Sorry there is not maroon brick path to walk on. Now once PC spends $250,000.00 on its track you'll see who gets to walk on that to the visitor bleacher, oh yeah what visitor side...... #3 Johnny sorry you are not the coach at SHS where you went to school. Get over it blasting the place is not how to get a job there or get back at them for not having a job there. #4 What would be a bigger game? Humm oh I don't know playing for the state semi-finals two years in a row. Yeah I would say that's more important. How many have you played for......? Oh yeah none.......

I just spoke to an SHS parent and he said that neither team had post game meals due to the time that the game ended. Note: To PC and SWHS if you do not like the field we will volunteer to play in your slot every season. We travel well and have a great football tradition. You guys come up with your Bowl and we will come there also. If we make a penny out of the gate receipts that is 1 penny more than we usually get for road games.

The field was pretty bad. More of a Dust Bowl, than a Ray Correll Bowl.

And if Somerset said they would feed the PC team after the game, they should have. I'm sure those PC kids were just as hungry as the SHS kids, and I'm sure the SHS kids got fed. Everyone should be treated the same. Whether it be a locker room, a meal, or whatever. Do that, and there shouldn't be any backlash. This is what gives schools bad names and causes animosity between the organizations.

PC was not fed. Somerset was not fed either. It was 2:45 AM when the game was over. Hines is just complaining for the sake of complaining. As far as the field is concerned it was not in the best shape but I have definitely seen worse. Hines also can't complain about the field conditions considering the bowl is traditionally played the 2nd week of the season and due to him(Hines) asking the AD to move it up a week it was moved to week one. By the next Somerset home game that field will be fine. As far as splitting the gate goes, that bowl game is normally one of the biggest if not THE biggest gate of the year for both of the county schools so there should be no complaining there either.

The PC kids played hard and they deserved to celebrate their victory but Hines has zero class and someone should tell him not to make his kids look bad by running his mouth.

After reading this article it reminds me once again why I don't have a local paper delivered to my house. The writers are extremely unprofessional. Get both sides of the story and don't mess up 90% of the quotes and it might be worth taking time out of my day to read it.