Baseball field Fall/Winter maintenance

STRIKE3

With the summer scorching heat upon us and fall, just around the corner, what do groundskeepers/coaches, due to prepare the Baseball field for winter.

Some will have Fall games, while others go untouched since the last game. What tips can we share, to help maintain and not have to weed-out/spray the grass, holes at the mound and home.

Infield Clay - do you drag, nail or leave as is

Grass - Seeding/Fertilizing, do you still cut and additives

Mound/Home - cover or uncovered

Banners/Signs - leave them on fence or take down

Bases - plug or leave in

Sprinkler - set on timer, use waterhose or don't touch

Most fields around here get nothing done to them. Several fields have the football teams practicing on them. Boyd County's is one of a few, in this area ,that is well taken care of all year long. Those that do have their football teams practicing on them are in terrible shape when spring comes.

I can't imagine a football team practicing on the baseball field. Surely most schools have an open grassy area for the team to practice on. If not, I say practice on the football field. I don't know of many baseball teams that practice on the football field when their field is wet in the spring. As far as maintenance in the winter I would say. Take down all banners and windscreen, overseed in late fall, plug the bases, drag one last time in late fall, cover the mound and plate, and get ready to workout indoors for a few months.

We put in a nice grass infield last year and after two full seasons of use and, of course a brutal summer, we have some area thinning and a little crab-grass coming through. Its been kept fairly wet and is only now starting to brown-up a bit. Rather than pay a lawn company to do the work, can anyone suggest the right chemicals, concentrations and application times for fertilizer, crab grass control, growth promotion and clover elimination? I'm not asking for much . . .:rolleyes:

We put in a nice grass infield last year and after two full seasons of use and, of course a brutal summer, we have some area thinning and a little crab-grass coming through. Its been kept fairly wet and is only now starting to brown-up a bit. Rather than pay a lawn company to do the work, can anyone suggest the right chemicals, concentrations and application times for fertilizer, crab grass control, growth promotion and clover elimination? I'm not asking for much . . .:rolleyes:

Did you get a copy of Polk's playbook? It's all in there...

I usually use TurfBuilder, in mid October and set the broadcast spreader, slightly higher for a little thicker coverage.

After the TurfBuilder, I apply this at the end of October. It's called Miraclegrow Lawn Food. You attach to the water hose, via a reservoir and the blue granules combine with the water, to spray onto the grass. It really helps the color, thickness and growth over the winter.

Did you get a copy of Polk's playbook? It's all in there...
....:thumb:

Herd of cows to keep it finely mowed and freshly fertilized. Might have a problem with increase methane gas at the field, though.:D

I usually use TurfBuilder, in mid October and set the broadcast spreader, slightly higher for a little thicker coverage.

After the TurfBuilder, I apply this at the end of October. It's called Miraclegrow Lawn Food. You attach to the water hose, via a reservoir and the blue granules combine with the water, to spray onto the grass. It really helps the color, thickness and growth over the winter.

....:thumb:

Is this for the infield or outfield grass or both? What type of grass do you currently have in your outfield. We need to replant and I am considering rye, bermuda, and fescue.

Is this for the infield or outfield grass or both? What type of grass do you currently have in your outfield. We need to replant and I am considering rye, bermuda, and fescue.
Bluegrass and over-seed with rye in the infield, is the best in my opinion. I like the look of Bermuda, but it's a warm weather grass and will remain dormant and brown, until consistent warm weather.

In the outfield, a short-turf fescue, that is designed specifically for athletic fields, works well and is durable. I like to over-seed again, with rye to fill in.

The key to any field, is the soil composition. Have a test done, to determine the composition and chemical makeup, which will help you to understand when/what chemicals to apply.

First, with the clay areas, I try to remove as much of the turfus as possible. Wheelbarrow it off, cover it, and use it again next spring. Then I like to till the clay one good time, just to get it thouroughly mixed again.

With the grass, I scalp the bermuda as low as possible, overseed with Lesco Brand rye, and topdress.

I cover the mound and plate, and keep the seed moist until germination. After that, I water once per day for 10 days or so, then cut the water for 4 days. After that, I soak once every three days and fertilize and mow (a lot).

I can't imagine a football team practicing on the baseball field. Surely most schools have an open grassy area for the team to practice on. If not, I say practice on the football field. I don't know of many baseball teams that practice on the football field when their field is wet in the spring. As far as maintenance in the winter I would say. Take down all banners and windscreen, overseed in late fall, plug the bases, drag one last time in late fall, cover the mound and plate, and get ready to workout indoors for a few months.

Ashland football uses Ashland's baseball field all summer for practices. Thus, Ashland's outfield is widely considered the worst outfield in the area. What a shame.. Ashland finally gets a field of their own, and it gets trashed in the summer.