Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ESPN Story saying that Cincinnati Knothole will not allow chatter.

Featured Replies

What do you all think of this, no "hey batter batter batter". Story on ESPN saying that Knothole rules now do not allow chatter, you can not say batter, a players name or call them by position.

 

I think this PC thing is getting out of hand.

What do you all think of this, no "hey batter batter batter". Story on ESPN saying that Knothole rules now do not allow chatter, you can not say batter, a players name or call them by position.

 

I think this PC thing is getting out of hand.

The main problem is this is that it is directly prohibited by the rules of the game under Knothole and HS rules. I think the old saying "one bad apple ruins the bunch" applies here. Some kids just take it a little too far. IMO it is a bit bush league and is something that should be phased out of the game. I think it would be much more along the lines of good sportsmanship to root for you team by saying "here we go (pitchers number)" than too root "against" the other team.

Its one thing to cheer you team on, but to yell at the batter is uncalled for.

What do you all think of this, no "hey batter batter batter". Story on ESPN saying that Knothole rules now do not allow chatter, you can not say batter, a players name or call them by position.

 

I think this PC thing is getting out of hand.

 

I saw that story and did not like it at all, because it makes it seem like the knothole league around here is boring and no fun and everyone is quiet. When that is not true at all, the good teams especially are out there yelling and talking all the time. We just dont do it like little league where they are yelling at the other teams players. I know my team talked it up all the time, when we were batting we would be yelling and cheering on our batter, saying lets go, big hit now, and stuff like that. I mean that still will get in the pitchers head hearing the other team yelling and talking it up, but you dont have to say stuff to the oposing player to do that. Its the same in the field, we would always talk it up for our pitcher when he was pitching and not saying anything to the batter of the opposing team.

 

That story just made it sound like in the knothole leagues it all quite and teams have no fun, but that is not true. Just the knothole leagues do it right when they talk it up, because they just cheer for their teammates and not put down the opposing teams players...

If a coach allows his kids to cheer toward the other team, he should be banished...

Nice to see one my basketball kids on ESPN getting interviewed. Carl "Big Show" Hinkel of Ft. thomas. I missed the story but saw it on TV at 915 bar and grill and had to read the bottom of the screen because it was too loud.

 

I think chatter is great when its for your team but like STicky said, if its against the other players its complete nonsense.

Its one thing to cheer you team on, but to yell at the batter is uncalled for.

We played a team that was doing this in a tournament after playing in a league that did not allow it. We said something about it and the umps reply was the following:

 

As long as they don't direct it at a player, it is not disallowed in LL rules.

 

If you are yelling, "Swing batter!!!!!!!", ummmm, how many kids are batting?

 

He contended that even though there was only one kid batting, yelling swing batter was not directed at a single kid. I know those who know me and read my posts will find this humorous, I was literally speechless.

You people are ridiculous,thats all a part of the game. Whats next, nobody wins or loses, it just ends up in a tie. If you guys are that sensitive you need to go play soccer.

You people are ridiculous,thats all a part of the game. Whats next, nobody wins or loses, it just ends up in a tie. If you guys are that sensitive you need to go play soccer.
I disagree with calling people ridiculous, but, the soccer comment was hilarious.
I disagree with calling people ridiculous, but, the soccer comment was hilarious.

Which is more hurtful: calling someone ridiculous or a soccer player? ;)

This rule was also a result of parents' comments made about the opponents.

You people are ridiculous,thats all a part of the game. Whats next, nobody wins or loses, it just ends up in a tie. If you guys are that sensitive you need to go play soccer.

 

I'm guessing that I'm one of 'you people'. While you think it's ridiculous, the people that know what they're talking about see it as proactive rather than reactive. Obviously this rule was put in place because a kid was saying something to someone on the other team, he said something back. The coached got involved, the parents got involved and it escalated out of control. If you think kids yelling at kids on the other team is 'part of the game', I question your knowledge of the game...

 

It's a necessary rule because of parents, not kids...

  • Author

I agree spiteful and hurtful things should not be said to opponents, but if "Hey batter batter ...swing" upsets you, your instore for a rough life. IMHO

Nice to see one my basketball kids on ESPN getting interviewed. Carl "Big Show" Hinkel of Ft. thomas. I missed the story but saw it on TV at 915 bar and grill and had to read the bottom of the screen because it was too loud.

 

I think chatter is great when its for your team but like STicky said, if its against the other players its complete nonsense.

 

:thumb: And that is why I didn't like that story on espn, because it makes it seem like the knothole leagues make kids stay completely quiet and have no fun. But that is not true at all, just kids in knothole chatter and stuff for their own players and not at the other team, and I think that is the way it should be...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.