Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is admission to High School Football Scrimmages Free?

Featured Replies

I think students should be charged a max of $1.00 to go to any school sporting event at home.

 

It is common practice in the state of Virginia that all athletic events are free to the students. This practice extends beyond the high schools and into their colleges. As a college student at Virginia Tech, I went to many, many athletic events for free. Football, Mens & Womens Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Volleyball, etc... all were free. Coming from Kentucky where every athletic event charged admission, I took full advantage of Virginia's system.

  • Replies 86
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't think that you should pay for a scrimmage if you have limited funds or you have any other reason you don't want to pay. With that said I like donations. Pay if you can, or don't pay for what ever reason you may have. Most people don't have a problem donating. Some do and that Okay. Walk right on by and sit down. As I said before the jar was full of money.

 

 

You dont have to pay when people charge either just don't go.

Again, the error in the "just don't go" theory is that we should be encouraging more people to be involved in prep sports not giving them another reason to stay home and watch Louisville play on TV Friday night.

 

I think all schools charge too much for regular season games. Then everyone acts stupified as to why many high school sporting events are held in front of 20-25 people.

 

Football is fortunate that it is still a pretty big draw on the high school level. Most other sports are not draws, with limited exceptions. I would hate to see football end up like that because schools got a little too greedy.

 

Perhaps some schools can charge for everything little thing and get away with it. I'm betting most schools can't.

I must be missing the argument here but not all athletic departments and school systems, operate with an endless amount of revenue.

 

While some have 2,500 students, others have 300. While some have tax base in 100's of millions, others are considerably less. So if a school chooses to charge for my entertainment purposes, $3-$5 to watch a scrimmage and I want to see it....I'm okay with it.

 

I may then spend another $3-$5 at the concessions, which will help the Boosters. I know one person, who still pays at his own schools home games, instead of using his coaching card, so they can get an extra $30 a year from him.

 

There are plenty of non-revenue sports, school trips, equipment and insurance that needs paid, so doesn't phase me.

In Ohio ... the OHSAA forbids charging for scrimmages ..... does KY have anything in the KHSAA like that
... I am pretty sure that charging for scrimmage games in Ky. used to be illegal until a few years ago I have read the rules on it and it is definitely legal to do so. Legally right as of now, but in my opinion it is still gouging wheras all schools do not choose to do so...
I agree. I'm not supportive of charging for scrimmages. I'm sure schools would lose money on lights, refs, etc., but sometimes it shouldn't always be about money. Not everything in high school sports has to deal with a ledger.

 

Excellent points, Having agreed in principle, I realize that some schools (privates in particular) need the money. It is often said, regarding privates, that nothing is free, payment is merely occasionally deferred. ;)

I just set up a poll to see where the majority stands on this issue, as apparently it is a topic with many valid sides and opinions.

I'm sure that other schools have a version of this:

 

At Mason County, straight "A's" gets a student a card that allows free admission to all home sporting events. Honor roll (but not straight As) gets a different color card that gives 50% off the admission price of all home sporting events.

 

To be honest, I'm not sure how this system works below the high school level.

 

This is a great plan! :thumb:

In the end, I look at it this way...

 

I want to watch our team play. If it's free, goodie! If I need to pay, no problem. I don't see any problem with a school wanting to make money on a crowd of people who come to their facility for an event. Nothing is free to host, even a scrimmage.

Lets not forget our Spring Intra-squad game. We do not charge but that would be another way to gouge if you want the money. Lights, water, ect. must be used so therefore a charge must be forth-coming if you want to see your Kid play or you are an avid fan according to some it would not be a problem, so lets get the tickets ready...:laugh:

We many need to define "gouging". I look at it as charging a price that is not worth it...

 

I would pay a lot more than $3 or $4 to see a football game/scrimmage/competition between 2 teams...especially during the off season when I am missing it so much!

Lets not forget our Spring Intra-squad game. We do not charge but that would be another way to gouge if you want the money. Lights, water, ect. must be used so therefore a charge must be forth-coming if you want to see your Kid play or you are an avid fan according to some it would not be a problem, so lets get the tickets ready...:laugh:

 

:confused: :confused:

 

Such an occurrance would more than likely not affect you at all. If it did occur, why would you care one way or another?

:confused: :confused:

 

Such an occurrance would more than likely not affect you at all. If it did occur, why would you care one way or another?

...Personally, I just think it is just not right. IMO. Secondly, I am merely making statements opposing the issue. I am allowed to do so, aren't I? If SWHS charged for Scrimmages I not doubt would be like you and pay. But since we do not I am greatful for the parents and fans. Many have large families and to charge them for practice games is over-milking the cow...:p
...Personally, I just think it is just not right. IMO. Secondly, I am merely making statements opposing the issue. I am allowed to do so, aren't I? If SWHS charged for Scrimmages I not doubt would be like you and pay. But since we do not I am greatful for the parents and fans. Many have large families and to charge them for practice games is over-milking the cow...:p

 

It's not that you object, it's the way that you're objecting that I object to. :D

 

When I read what you post, it seems to me as if you:

 

1) are angry and outraged

2) Think it's unethical

3) think it's greedy.

 

You seem (more than most) to have a huge problem with charging for scrimmages, and I don't understand why. That's all.

If you don't think it's important enough to cough up a few bucks to watch a high school football game, don't go.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.