August 8, 200719 yr In 1st ballot In on the 1st ballot when Jim Rice, Andre Dawson, Bert Blyleven, and Steve Garvey can't get in at all? Kent pales in comparison to these guys as a player. Don't forget. Numbers don't mean what they used to. Or do we just pick on certain players and their numbers?
August 8, 200719 yr I think NO, if he would retire today. I think he needs some padding on those stats.
August 8, 200719 yr He's got 16 seasons in and possibly, a few more. He needs to get his hit totals, up to and over 2,500 or better. I think he gets in, but over time and possibly 5-10yrs after he's eligible. Plus, it depends on when he leaves and who else would be nominated. I like Kent, he does his job.
August 8, 200719 yr Not yet. If he gets 500 HR's or 3000 hits, yes. He has never even been the best player on his TEAM, much less a Hall-Of-Famer. If guys like Jim Rice, Andre Dawson, and (Rose/Jackson for obvious reasons) are not in, Kent should not go before them. Someone that is good with stats could put Kent's stats beside Rice and Dawsons and see. I am just stating my opinion, the stats could prove different.
August 8, 200719 yr In on the 1st ballot when Jim Rice, Andre Dawson, Bert Blyleven, and Steve Garvey can't get in at all? Kent pales in comparison to these guys as a player. Don't forget. Numbers don't mean what they used to. Or do we just pick on certain players and their numbers? Didn't see your post, sorry:lol:
August 8, 200719 yr It isn't necessarily a valid comparison to merely put Kent's stats against those of Rice and Dawson. Kent is a second baseman and those guys were outfielders.
August 8, 200719 yr Author Just so you know, anybody that stands up to Bonds and puts him in my place is in my Hall of Fame. When did he stand up to Bonds?
August 8, 200719 yr When did he stand up to Bonds? They got into a physical altercation (shoving match) in the dugout a couple years ago when they were teammates in SF.
August 8, 200719 yr Author They got into a physical altercation (shoving match) in the dugout a couple years ago when they were teammates in SF. That was Bonds putting Kent in his place after Kent was busting David Bell's chops over an error.
August 8, 200719 yr That was Bonds putting Kent in his place after Kent was busting David Bell's chops over an error. I didn't know what went on, or the reason, just that they got into it.
August 8, 200719 yr In on the 1st ballot when Jim Rice, Andre Dawson, Bert Blyleven, and Steve Garvey can't get in at all? Kent pales in comparison to these guys as a player. Don't forget. Numbers don't mean what they used to. Or do we just pick on certain players and their numbers? I agree wholeheartedly. He has no business in the hall. Never once have I thought of him as one of the best in the game.
August 8, 200719 yr They got into a physical altercation (shoving match) in the dugout a couple years ago when they were teammates in SF. More than once, if I recall correctly, which led to Kent's ouster from SF.
August 8, 200719 yr I would say in. With the exception of SB's of course, most of his numbers are better than Joe Morgan's. As far as defense...Morgan had a 981 fielding %, Kent's is 980%.
August 8, 200719 yr I would say in. With the exception of SB's of course, most of his numbers are better than Joe Morgan's. As far as defense...Morgan had a 981 fielding %, Kent's is 980%. Which is why numbers compiled in today's game can't accurately be compared to those of the past. Morgan may be the best 2B ever. Kent doesn't even dent the list of all-time greats at the position.
August 8, 200719 yr He won't be a 1st ballot in guy...if he gets to 400 he likely will go first ballot.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.